Free Coyotes Scrimmage Tonight

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
Well I thought Bulduc was the hungriest forward tonight. Played hard. Took a tough penality, but, it wasnt a lazy play. Gormley is a monster. I thought he was the best player on the ice. I really enjoyed watching his skill and poise. Good turnout. Everyone I talked to was stoked for hockey. I actually couldnt believe how fast most people knew about the Lombo trade. Yes we are a small group but understand the game and really apreciate what Tip and Maloney have done. Sorry for the spelling.

Feb 12, 2003
I was genuinely impressed by the turnout. The crowd, while small, was pretty enthusiastic and we were able to get a couple of chants going. I was walking the concourse during the intermission but I heard there was a big ovation when the Lombo trade was announced.

It reminded me how much I missed watching hockey live and I'm that much more excited for the big game Sunday.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Things looked well and good.

Sullivan is a little different than Whitney. But I think he will work well with the Czechs as he figures out where to be defensively. Moss plays big and appears to be better in the corners than Pyatt. I tried to follow all of the additional players. For some reason, Conner's hustle stood out, but I don't remember huge plays from him. Bissonnette got to experience offense a little more than he would expect, and did not look wildly out of place. He did have a pass or two that could have been better. Both Shinnimin and Klinkhammer also had some hustle to their games. Miele is just good at moving his feet - thought he had drawn an interference call in the late 2nd along the boards, but bad refs - still not sure if either Shinnimin or Miele can squeeze themselves in and out of the bigger bodies, but it is entertaining to see them play.

I always feel like you can't tell too much from a scrimmage, as I feel like the players are not going out of their way to separate man from puck. That, and the officiating was awful. At least 2 missed offsides in a 4 minute span and Vrbata started to actually skate towards the penalty box after he took some when down on the sidewall and seemed genuinely shocked there was no call.

We do look like we are moving our feet better on offense and get in proper position, but again, that may also be reflective of defense that is not at the same level as us to opposing teams, or the opposition to us.

Addition of Lombardi makes this a very interesting group. Liked how some of the line combos flowed when the team went to 4 v 4 at start of 3rd period. Makes for some interesting things since I am pretty certain the Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata line is likely the one that is just about set in stone for the opener. Still don't know if we wind up slotting Lombardi at #3 with Korpi, or if we give him another shot with Doan. May happen later in the season.

That's about the best synopsis of scrimmage I could get out there. D is still awesome. Smith needs to eye the puck better on dump-ins, but he's so positionally sound. If I had to describe the team in one word, I'd say: effective

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010

Sullivan is a little different than Whitney. But I think he will work well with the Czechs as he figures out where to be defensively. Moss plays big and appears to be better in the corners than Pyatt. I tried to follow all of the additional players. For some reason, Conner's hustle stood out, but I don't remember huge plays from him. Bissonnette got to experience offense a little more than he would expect, and did not look wildly out of place. He did have a pass or two that could have been better. Both Shinnimin and Klinkhammer also had some hustle to their games. Miele is just good at moving his feet - thought he had drawn an interference call in the late 2nd along the boards, but bad refs - still not sure if either Shinnimin or Miele can squeeze themselves in and out of the bigger bodies, but it is entertaining to see them play.

I always feel like you can't tell too much from a scrimmage, as I feel like the players are not going out of their way to separate man from puck. That, and the officiating was awful. At least 2 missed offsides in a 4 minute span and Vrbata started to actually skate towards the penalty box after he took some when down on the sidewall and seemed genuinely shocked there was no call.

We do look like we are moving our feet better on offense and get in proper position, but again, that may also be reflective of defense that is not at the same level as us to opposing teams, or the opposition to us.

Addition of Lombardi makes this a very interesting group. Liked how some of the line combos flowed when the team went to 4 v 4 at start of 3rd period. Makes for some interesting things since I am pretty certain the Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata line is likely the one that is just about set in stone for the opener. Still don't know if we wind up slotting Lombardi at #3 with Korpi, or if we give him another shot with Doan. May happen later in the season.

That's about the best synopsis of scrimmage I could get out there. D is still awesome. Smith needs to eye the puck better on dump-ins, but he's so positionally sound. If I had to describe the team in one word, I'd say: effective

Thanks for the insight.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kinda pissed. Tippett's presser shows they had a full camera crew tonight. Would it have killed them to stream the damn game?

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
Have Rundblad and Gormley closed the distance between themselves and Schlemko, Stone and Summers?

I think they have benefited the most from getting time in the AHL to develop.

Did Klinkhammer look better than Johnson and Biz?

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I got there with like 6 mins left in the 3rd. Torres stood out to me immediately. Could tell he is ready. Brown looked solid on his skates. The whole Sullivan experiment seemed off in the beginning, like as if him and Vrby kept getting on there offwing and being confused. Great to see a Hanzal faceoff win right to Vrby who just snuck it past Smith. Shinnimin intrigues me, he earned this call up and you can see why. He got a goal and just looked involved. Thought I would see more from Szwarz, Klink and Miele. Klink can throw his size around, but idk about much else. Johnson was very vanilla I guess. Took a couple weak shots. Was funny seeing Biss get a couple odd man breaks.

Stone looks good, not worried about him. Rundblad made a couple of those patented turnovers but still tee'd it up a couple times past the goalies head. Didn't notice Gormley that much, except for the fact he wore #33 and I was like "what the f is Aucoin doing", but that's not so bad. He seems to be going with the flow right now and I don't blame him, he has time. Loved seeing Z back out there. A lot of other things to mention but hey, the season will be here before you know it and this will be worthless.

And finally, Labarbera wins a shootout. Somehow he stopped OEL, Boeds and Korpi plus a couple others.

Last edited:

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

You know it's finally hockey season, when the fans are *****ing about bad officiating during a scrimmage! :laugh:

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
This sounds like it would've been a good time. I contemplated going, but I'm going to be making enough trips to the Jobing already this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->