Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
There is already talk in the NBA that next season may also be played in a bubble.

I wonder if that happens with the NHL, how does it impact free agency? What happens if they decide to play next year in Toronto/Edmonton but decide the players do not need to be isolated from the public because the numbers are so low in those cities?

There will already be players getting shafted because of the flat salary cap. If you are stuck signing a short one year cheap deal because of the cap, do you also prefer to sign with the Leafs and have your family move up to Toronto for the year?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
He did list Barabanov though... just didn't have him slotted in the lineup... he completely missed Lehtonen.

Barabanaov and Lehtonen should be pencilled into the starting lineup. I will be shocked if both don't crack the lineup. These two had their pick of teams and according to any one with reasonable knowledge of them... they are NHLers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is already talk in the NBA that next season may also be played in a bubble.

I wonder if that happens with the NHL, how does it impact free agency? What happens if they decide to play next year in Toronto/Edmonton but decide the players do not need to be isolated from the public because the numbers are so low in those cities?

There will already be players getting shafted because of the flat salary cap. If you are stuck signing a short one year cheap deal because of the cap, do you also prefer to sign with the Leafs and have your family move up to Toronto for the year?

If they play in Toronto/Edmonton next year... I suppose it doesn't matter what team they sign with... they'd all be playing in Toronto, so you could sign with any team, and have your family move to Toronto for the year.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If they play in Toronto/Edmonton next year... I suppose it doesn't matter what team they sign with... they'd all be playing in Toronto, so you could sign with any team, and have your family move to Toronto for the year.

My bad. I meant they sign a cheap 2 year deal because they don't want to move to Toronto just for less than a year with family/kids. 2020/2021 would be like 8 months or less? I am assuming the following year would not be in Toronto/Edmonton and we are back to normal.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My bad. I meant they sign a cheap 2 year deal because they don't want to move to Toronto just for less than a year with family/kids. 2020/2021 would be like 8 months or less? I am assuming the following year would not be in Toronto/Edmonton and we are back to normal.

Let's hope for a return to "normal" at some point. The league's revenues will just get hammered if they have to do a full season, or more, without ticket sales. (Which of course, is of minor world consideration, but huge for the business/sport of hockey)

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Let's hope for a return to "normal" at some point. The league's revenues will just get hammered if they have to do a full season, or more, without ticket sales. (Which of course, is of minor world consideration, but huge for the business/sport of hockey)

The constant travel of teams under normal scenarios just invites too many problems with COVID-19. The US seems hopeless in getting things under control.

I think a bubble for 2020/2021 is a real possibility. We are in August starting tomorrow, and 2020/2021 would start in December? That is not far off, and I think they would need to make a decision about 2020/2021 by beginning of October?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

i honestly think we have a Canada division.
Solves the border.
The states can have like a

Metro hub:
West hub and east hub

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Solves the border.

Metro hub:
West hub and east hub

In the QMJHL they are already splitting it up where the Maritime teams are staying in the Maritimes and the Quebec teams are staying in Quebec. I imagine they are going to split Quebec into two divisions and occasionally play across the divisions, but Saint John, Halifax, Charlottetown, Acadie-Bathurst, Cape Breton and Moncton will only play against each other apparently. They don't need to worry about American teams, so they can probably get started on time (of course once Quebec starts to cool down a little bit more, but they still have a few more weeks to wait for that to happen).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
In the QMJHL they are already splitting it up where the Maritime teams are staying in the Maritimes and the Quebec teams are staying in Quebec. I imagine they are going to split Quebec into two divisions and occasionally play across the divisions, but Saint John, Halifax, Charlottetown, Acadie-Bathurst, Cape Breton and Moncton will only play against each other apparently. They don't need to worry about American teams, so they can probably get started on time (of course once Quebec starts to cool down a little bit more, but they still have a few more weeks to wait for that to happen).

I wonder how the OHL and WHL will handle this? The OHL has three teams, and the WHL has five.... Maybe the OHL teams can temporarily move to Canada?? I'd assume that the WHL American teams, would just play inside their division... not sure how playoffs would be handled though.

As far as the AHL, that's a challenge... four Canadian teams? How would that work? Also, you are a Canadian NHL team, playing in the Canadian division, you get injuries, and your AHL team is in the States???? Now what??

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I wonder how the OHL and WHL will handle this? The OHL has three teams, and the WHL has five.... Maybe the OHL teams can temporarily move to Canada?? I'd assume that the WHL American teams, would just play inside their division... not sure how playoffs would be handled though.

As far as the AHL, that's a challenge... four Canadian teams? How would that work? Also, you are a Canadian NHL team, playing in the Canadian division, you get injuries, and your AHL team is in the States???? Now what??

I don’t think the AHL is going

I think there will be expanded rosters. To allow players to practice and scrimmage.

there may be extended rosters due to condensed schedules

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I think there will be expanded rosters. To allow players to practice and scrimmage.

It sounds like no to the AHL but yes to all the Euro leagues starting mostly in September. Last I heard was ECHL was back in October. There could be kind of mini version of the strike year except it will be the AHL and graduating Juniors migrating in numbers to other leagues for 20-21.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It sounds like no to the AHL but yes to all the Euro leagues starting mostly in September. Last I heard was ECHL was back in October. There could be kind of mini version of the strike year except it will be the AHL and graduating Juniors migrating in numbers to other leagues for 20-21.

The Marlies just posted that the anticipated start date for the AHL is December 4th, 2020. That is effectively when the NHL is starting.

Could be that they are going to allow some CHLers to play in the AHL/ECHL next year, even if they are under 20... At least until their respective leagues start up on time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Theres going to be an awful lot of guys signing 1 year deals which imo is very good news for the Leafs

Reactions: Kiwi, Havoc and kb

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Solves the border.

Metro hub:
West hub and east hub
That will be amazing if we have a Canadian division, just need another team to make it East and West.
Maybe we can get Buffalo just for the heck of it in the East and have the Jets join Oilers, Flames and Nucks in the West.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Theres going to be an awful lot of guys signing 1 year deals which imo is very good news for the Leafs

We're a good destination if you want to inflate your point totals with the hope of a bigger payday down the line after things settle down

Ceci and Barrie haven't exactly set the world on fire but I stand by my theory :sarcasm:

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That will be amazing if we have a Canadian division, just need another team to make it East and West.
Maybe we can get Buffalo just for the heck of it in the East and have the Jets join Oilers, Flames and Nucks in the West.

I like the idea but think the border wouldn’t allow it. Unless buffalo came and played in Hamilton.

With 31 teams you would need 8 per division x3 with the 7 canadian teams left over.

So you would either do 3 x 8 by time zone. Or a metro/ south east/south west.

I think it’s going to be something like that if they allow fans in December

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We're a good destination if you want to inflate your point totals with the hope of a bigger payday down the line after things settle down

Ceci and Barrie haven't exactly set the world on fire but I stand by my theory :sarcasm:
I don’t think anyone can inflate their points total in TO on a one year deal.
Don’t think Keefe will put Reilly in PP2 next season.
And I doubt any UFAs can knock off Marner, AM, Willie and JT in PP1.
On top of that, if Soup resigns, it will take someone really special to crack the top 6 of the Leafs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
On top of that, if Soup resigns, it will take someone really special to crack the top 6 of the Leafs.

I doubt we are looking for a top 6 forward, maybe somebody cheap that can do a job in the bottom 6 much like Spezza but there's definitely a job beside Rielly even strength available if your good enough, PP QB on unit 2 as well depending on Sandin

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I doubt we are looking for a top 6 forward, maybe somebody cheap that can do a job in the bottom 6 much like Spezza but there's definitely a job beside Rielly even strength available if your good enough, PP QB on unit 2 as well depending on Sandin

Agree that there is a job available 5v5 beside Rielly...... I might wish for a great PK guy, over a PP QB for unit 2 though....

Reactions: Kiwi and kb

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agree that there is a job available 5v5 beside Rielly...... I might wish for a great PK guy, over a PP QB for unit 2 though....

If your a defenseman looking for a job to up your value that 2nd unit PP job has some value add

We'd like the ability to PK but I was looking at it from a player adding value perspective and points seem to be what drives the AAV up on contracts

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Depends what their role is. Guys like Ennis and Spezza saw spikes in production from their previous seasons with 4th line minutes and secondary PP time. There will be a few players around that would take a shot at a role like that here and then go for a raise the following season.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->