Free agents after this year???

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
RFAs at the end of the season. Who stays? Who goes?
Texier, Marchenko, Sillinger, Bemstrom, Chinakov, Bean, and KJ.

Plus 3 UFAs...
Roslovic... Traded at deadline???
Robinson... Gone!!!
Martin... Waived if Tarasov ever comes back???

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Keep Texier, Marchenko,Sillinger, Chinakhov, KJ

Everyone else send to the moon
I agree they should be kept. Going to be interesting to see what it will take to keep them.

I think Marchenko should be signed for 5 or 6 years for around 5 mil.

KJ will be the toughest. If he comes back up and finishes at say a .6 to .7 ppg pace it will complicate things. His agent ain't exactly CBJ friendly and will negotiate for term and dollars based on his finish and his potential. If he comes back and goes .4 or .5 ppg then CBJ are between a rock and a hard place. Try to re-sign him for two years and I think he doesn't go for it. Sign him for 4 and he fulfills his potential then as a UFA he is a bidding war waiting to happen.

Tex & Chinny meh. Sillinger play hardball with him

Hopefully Jarmo isn't the one handling these negotiations.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
RFAs at the end of the season. Who stays? Who goes?
Texier, Marchenko, Sillinger, Bemstrom, Chinakov, Bean, and KJ.

Plus 3 UFAs...
Roslovic... Traded at deadline???
Robinson... Gone!!!
Martin... Waived if Tarasov ever comes back???
Not a prediction, just what I would do personally:

Texier -- offer a 4-6 year deal

Roslovic, Robinson, Bean -- put out the bait and see who bites at TDL, if nothing happens then let them walk

Chinakhov, Sillinger, Bemstrom -- Re-evaluate at the end of year unless there's a great trade offer. For now, max-term for an extension would be 2-3 years for each

KJ -- Re-evaluate at the end of year unless there'a a great trade offer. If he gets called up and proves he can play center with relatively high CF%/FF%/xGF% numbers during remainder of the season, I'd be open in signing him to a max-term deal.

Marchenko -- Offer 6-8 years unless he starts suffering bad injuries or something. I think he's a keeper

Martin -- I dunno, don't even really care

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Roslovic, Robinson, Bean -- put out the bait and see who bites at TDL, if nothing happens then let them walk

Chinakhov, Sillinger, Bemstrom -- Re-evaluate at the end of year unless there's a great trade offer. For now, max-term for an extension would be 2-3 years for each

KJ -- Re-evaluate at the end of year unless there'a a great trade offer. If he gets called up and proves he can play center with relatively high CF%/FF%/xGF% numbers during remainder of the season, I'd be open in signing him to a max-term deal.

Marchenko -- Offer 6-8 years unless he starts suffering bad injuries or something. I think he's a keeper

I'm really sold on Marchenko. He's been super versatile this year.

I think it's important that we keep Texier because of how effective he can be as a grinder, and because bottom six scoring is important. But he hasn't clicked with skill players and I'd be wary of any huge commitment. He's had back problems too.

But I'm still evaluating Tex, and that's true for just about all of them. Hard to say much at this point.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
our core needs to be locked up long term Texier, Marchenko and KJ

Im not sold on Sillinger/Bean but would be happy to give them a 2-3 year deal. ( assuming peeke/bovist are traded )

Chinakhov would like to keep him and continue to develop

would let Bemström, Martin and Roslovic ( unless Roslovic is willing to take a pay cut he isn't worth it )

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg

You know Kirill is getting paid. If Jarmo does the deal, it'll be in the $12-15 mil range or some crazy flippin number.
Kirill deserves star treatment. Thank God he didn't hurt himself when he ate the boards. Plus Vdawg will keep Kirill and Fantilli safe.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
And too add i hope Jarmo is the one signing them to the deals, the deal he got Boone to sign is insane haha!

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
our core needs to be locked up long term Texier, Marchenko and KJ

Im not sold on Sillinger/Bean but would be happy to give them a 2-3 year deal. ( assuming peeke/bovist are traded )

Chinakhov would like to keep him and continue to develop

would let Bemström, Martin and Roslovic ( unless Roslovic is willing to take a pay cut he isn't worth it )
Why would we go long term on Texier?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
But I'm still evaluating Tex, and that's true for just about all of them. Hard to say much at this point.
Sure, we're not in hurry to re-sign any of them, but imo 4 years for Texier wouldn't be that big of a risk even when considering his playing style and injury history. His price tag will stay low if he doesn't produce much, and we know he will be valuable even through longer scoreless droughts.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Sure, we're not in hurry to re-sign any of them, but imo 4 years for Texier wouldn't be that big of a risk even when considering his playing style and injury history. His price tag will stay low if he doesn't produce much, and we know he will be valuable even through longer scoreless droughts.
BINGO!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
hes insanely valuable a guy that can play up and down the line up and kills penalty's 23/24 years old i would give him a Casey Cizikas deal

If it's literally $2.5m per like Cizikas then I'd have no problem with that.

I question if Tex can actually play up and down the lineup. A guy who does all his scoring from the 4th line should probably not be up the lineup.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
UFAs can all go bye bye.

None of the RFAs have shown me that they need locked up long term (greater than 3 years). Plus none of them play a premium position. I'm highest on Marchenko, but I don't think he's earned a major contract upgrade ($3-4m x 3 seems about right to me).

I don't see any of these players as a potential offer sheet situation or a potential star, so I'd either use them as trade bait or lock them up short term for the least amount possible.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
A couple more thoughts on Bean and Chinakhov.

I realized Bean will be an RFA. I think I would be actually fine with extending him, depending on Provorov's future with the Jackets and development of Mateychuk and Svozil. If Provorov is being upfront about walking into free agency in 2025 and the new GM thinks he should be traded as early as next summer (or next TDL, if a miracle happens and Jarmo is fired sooner than expected), I can imagine Bean serving as a passable 2/3 LD behind Werenski (and possibly Mateychuk or Svozil) in 2024/25. In this scenario either Mateychuk or Svozil would play in the NHL and the not-as-ripe one in Cleveland as the 1D.

After seeing more games of Chinakhov this season, I've begun to think his toolset will be kind of redundant for this team going forward. I've thought for a while that for him to become useful top-9 forward he would need to be stronger, more tenacious, and quicker/consistent puck handler, or alternatively, just score a lot more.

I'm not sure if he's progressed enough in any of those aspects to be considered a future core piece. I basically view him as a one-way goal-scoring threat, and the problem is that I think we will have plenty of scoring talent in the org even if the next GM decided to move him and possibly Laine.

That's why I'd try to raise his value by putting him in positions where he would have the best chances to score as much as possible, while he's still young and up with the big club. Let him fire one timers and wristers from the right halfwall on the PP. Try to make more stretch pass plays where he would be the recipient at offensive blueline using his great speed on the rush. I don't know who would be ideal linemates to create a lot of those type scoring opportunities for him but I doubt it's Laine and Jenner. On the PP it would obviously be best to have a LH point guy to feed him.

Last edited:

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Chinakov was injured for like ten months, I'd let him shake the rust off before making a determination on him. I think he could grow into a Bjorkstrand like player, a player we are clearly missing since trading him.
Alot of CBJ players are missed once they move onto the real nhl. They have to move on since we're a glorified farm team.

Reactions: Jovavic

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Chinakov was injured for like ten months, I'd let him shake the rust off before making a determination on him. I think he could grow into a Bjorkstrand like player, a player we are clearly missing since trading him.
I'll retract if he proves he can be a well-rounded two-way forward in the next few months but as of now that doesn't seem very likely. I see more Bjorkstrand-esque qualities in Fantilli and Marchenko, or a prospect like Brindley. Bjorkstrand wasn't the greatest stickhandler or super fast in transition but he was an excellent checker, strong on the puck and found ways to get pucks on net even when didn't have a lot of space. Chinakhov has been quite bad at those things so far and he's already at the same age when Bjorkstrand had his "breakout" season in the NHL (2017/18).

Reactions: Cheddarcheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad