Speculation: Free Agent Targets

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Who would be some excellent free agent targets for an expansion Vegas? Who are players you would like to see sign in Vegas?

I was thinking how Brian Flynn would be a good pickup for the bottom six. Nothing flashy but a right handed centre that can play well enough.

Thomas Vanek has talked about wanting job security because he hates moving around so much. Maybe Vegas is a good place for him to put down some roots on a three year contract or something.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Who would be some excellent free agent targets for an expansion Vegas? Who are players you would like to see sign in Vegas?

I was thinking how Brian Flynn would be a good pickup for the bottom six. Nothing flashy but a right handed centre that can play well enough.

Thomas Vanek has talked about wanting job security because he hates moving around so much. Maybe Vegas is a good place for him to put down some roots on a three year contract or something.

There won't be any shortage of bottom 6 forwards available in the expansion draft and they come with cost certainty. UFA guys get paid more than they're worth almost always. Vanek would be fine, but the fact he's already had a gambling problem is a bit of a concern.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I would take a shot at Radulov in FA to get him on a line with Ship, but he is rumored to want long years so doubt I'd get him because there's no way I'd offer him a ride-into-retirement contract. But I do like him, he's got good size and a great work ethic.

Hanzal would be perfect for us, he'd give us a second center with 2C type ability, and his size is valuable against the Ducks and Kings. But I think he will be very highly pursued in a weak FA class for forwards, even moreso than Radulov and Oshie.

I figure McPhee is going to do his best to add a top 6 forward without going too deep on years. Just do that and it will help him to cobble together the top of the roster and maybe get a good mix going for season one. Their bottom six will be very good and will get some good matchups, key is that top two lines.

Oh and as an ex-Kings fan gotta say I'd like to see them add Williams. It's unlikely, but he's got leadership in spades, grit, and can still net the puck. Just has to come in on a shorter term deal.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Here are a couple of useful 1-year signings:

Andrei Markov is still producing offensively and a 1-year contract to help the Shipper adjust to life outside of Russia would be a good fit (but the Habs will likely re-sign him. Sigh.).

Radim Vrbata scored 20 goals this year and wants to play next year. Jumping from the desert in Arizona to Nevada isn't a huge relocation hassle for him. Give him a 1-year deal. (Trade him at the trade deadline.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If the Flyers don't re-sign him, I would take a look at Jordan Weal. Undersized 25 year old LW/C that always put up great numbers in the AHL but finally broke through in the NHL last season with 8 goals in his final 23 games playing on a line with Filppula and Simmonds. Could be a fluke but he looked like a real solid player down the stretch and he might get let go now that the Flyers won the 2nd overall pick.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
If the Flyers don't re-sign him, I would take a look at Jordan Weal. Undersized 25 year old LW/C that always put up great numbers in the AHL but finally broke through in the NHL last season with 8 goals in his final 23 games playing on a line with Filppula and Simmonds. Could be a fluke but he looked like a real solid player down the stretch and he might get let go now that the Flyers won the 2nd overall pick.

I liked Weal all along, was kinda irked when the Kings traded him. He didn't fit into their style, but yeah he might fit since McPhee seems to favor aggressive and wide open offensive style of hockey.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Oh and while I'm thinking about it, keep an eye on the KHL types in general. There are a lot of rumors of teams being further behind than normal on paying the players, not to mention one of the teams at least going under. Their awards ceremony was pretty funny too, with no fans showing up even though they had it set up with a red carpet and all.

Would not surprise me to see more of their players than usual make the jump to NHL organizations this year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
LV should be planning offer sheets. The RFA pool has gems, the FA pool does not.

What better way to set fire to relationships with other teams already ticked off that the expansion of Las Vegas puts them in a tough spot than to fire off offer sheets left and right.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
1. Pisses other GM's off right off the bat.

2. Any RFA worth OSing would have to want to sign with us.

3. Any team with a RFA worth OSing would match most offers if it ever got to that point.

4. Assuming teams match anything worth less than 4 1sts means we'll have no 1st round pick for the next four years, which is huge for a team that probably won't be great for a while.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Actually, I've red that if Vegas selects a RFA for the expansion draft, they don't need to give any compensation whatsoever.

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/05/08/habs-can-lose-rfas-without-any-compensation/
Wow. :amazed: Just WOW! :yo: That means AT LEAST one, eh?

If the Knights sign any free agent, it would could as their expansion pick from the team who the player played for this past season. They will also not have to give any compensation for signing a restricted free agent.
Underline and bold added. Does "a" here mean ONLY ONE?

Vegas should be expected to try hard for an RFA if the above is true. Maybe more if more than one is possible without loss of picks.

LookAtThosePepperoni

I am he who loves all, when I'm in the mood.
Jan 28, 2016
Wow. :amazed: Just WOW! :yo: That means AT LEAST one, eh?

Underline and bold added. Does "a" here mean ONLY ONE?

Vegas should be expected to try hard for an RFA if the above is true. Maybe more if more than one is possible without loss of picks.

I do believe it isn't for only one, but for (the maximum of) 10. So yes, if true HOLY CRAP!

Also, I like how you guys can "pick more than one" player from a team, like SinBin explains:

"For example, San Jose elects to leave Joe Thornton exposed in the Expansion Draft. Las Vegas will have the opportunity to speak to Thornton from the 17th to the 20th to discuss a contract. If an agreement is reach, and an official deal is signed, Thornton becomes the one player Las Vegas has selected from the Sharks. His 2017-18 contract will be used toward the 60% cap rule, and no other team ever had an opportunity to negotiate with him.

Still making sense? Ok, let’s muddy up the waters with a little gamesmanship that will happen next year.

Let’s keep using Joe Thornton as the example. Since he is under contract with the Sharks until June 30th, 2017, San Jose may negotiate a future contract with him any time between now and the Expansion Draft deadline. Say they come to an agreement, but don’t sign an official deal. The Sharks can leave Thornton unprotected, Vegas will have the chance to offer him a deal, but he may already be unofficially signed in San Jose, allowing the Sharks to protect a different player without the chance of losing Thornton. It’s a risk, but one likely worth taking on a player who can be trusted.

How about the flip side? Say Thornton is left unprotected, Las Vegas calls and offers him a deal, but they don’t sign the official contract. Vegas can select a different player from San Jose and still sign Thornton on July 1st. Again, risky because he would then have the chance to speak with the other 29 teams on July 1st, but if he keeps his word, Las Vegas can game the system and wind up with two players from the same team rather than just one."

http://sinbin.vegas/curious-role-ufas-expansion-draft/

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
That only applies to RFA's that ARE NOT protected. So the top level RFA's that would merit offer sheets to begin with like Drouin don't apply because their teams won't leave them exposed.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I think the best UFA target for the Knights is Patrick Sharp. He's got his Cups, so he might be interested in coming to an expansion team that plays in nice weather. He slots into the Top 6 quite nicely, and he'd be one of the best players available from Dallas, so you can easily sign him during the early period and make him the Stars expansion draft selection.

With the cap space we'll have, you can probably give him a front-loaded 2-year deal with a big cap hit - and then he could be a key asset to move at the 2019 trade deadline.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
I think the best UFA target for the Knights is Patrick Sharp. He's got his Cups, so he might be interested in coming to an expansion team that plays in nice weather. He slots into the Top 6 quite nicely, and he'd be one of the best players available from Dallas, so you can easily sign him during the early period and make him the Stars expansion draft selection.

With the cap space we'll have, you can probably give him a front-loaded 2-year deal with a big cap hit - and then he could be a key asset to move at the 2019 trade deadline.

I also like the idea of Sharp. Nice stop-gap player who can still produce and provide leadership and winning experience to an expansion team.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea

I like Sharp over Marleau only because Sharp is coming off of an 8-goal, 18-point partial season and so could be signed relatively cheaply on a 2-3 year deal with the possibility of trading him if/when he rebounds. At worst, he'd be a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point veteran leader presence at a decent price. If the GM doesn't care about price, I'd go with the other Patrick I mentioned (faster, better defensively and superior eye-hand coordination)...

PuckProphet

Apr 28, 2017
Personally i really like Sharp Said it before in another thread He is a Sniper .....He is awesome when delivered the puck in a stationary position or at a set point on the ice ...He burys assists ...Defense he is good and does not shy from hitting .... He tends to get "mean" at cheap shots or close encounters ....
However this talk of team leadership ....he is vocal.. He also loves pranks .....Once or many times guys like Seabrook got irritated by him ....( he pulled a prank on a sleeping Seabrook Seabrook said "you are not a true friend") The thought he creates a team within the team ..The rumor he slept with a teammates wife ... i dunno just rumors .....He did wear an A in Chicago.....
i am sold on the guy if his hip is good .... If plays are run for him to get a shot from a certain point on the ice.... 30 40 goals

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Jets fan here.

You guys would be good picking up RHD Paul Postma. He won't be staying in Winnipeg and was never used properly. He's actually a pretty decent bottom pairing guy.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb

Just take him in the expansion draft, if we re-sign him (which we probably will do), he's not getting protected for sure. Flyers have loads of bottom 6 players... literally loads.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I would take a shot at Radulov in FA to get him on a line with Ship, but he is rumored to want long years so doubt I'd get him because there's no way I'd offer him a ride-into-retirement contract. But I do like him, he's got good size and a great work ethic.

Hanzal would be perfect for us, he'd give us a second center with 2C type ability, and his size is valuable against the Ducks and Kings. But I think he will be very highly pursued in a weak FA class for forwards, even moreso than Radulov and Oshie.

I figure McPhee is going to do his best to add a top 6 forward without going too deep on years. Just do that and it will help him to cobble together the top of the roster and maybe get a good mix going for season one. Their bottom six will be very good and will get some good matchups, key is that top two lines.

Oh and as an ex-Kings fan gotta say I'd like to see them add Williams. It's unlikely, but he's got leadership in spades, grit, and can still net the puck. Just has to come in on a shorter term deal.

So silly question because I doubt it ever happens, but: if Hanzal did seem willing to sign a deal with Vegas during the pre-expansion-draft exclusive UFA window, do you think McPhee signs him then? It avoids the competition with other teams (which I agree, will be fierce) but it would count as the pick from Minnesota in the expansion draft.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Jets fan here.

You guys would be good picking up RHD Paul Postma. He won't be staying in Winnipeg and was never used properly. He's actually a pretty decent bottom pairing guy.

Given the lack of available RHD in the expansion draft, I'd definitely consider signing Postma on July 1.

So silly question because I doubt it ever happens, but: if Hanzal did seem willing to sign a deal with Vegas during the pre-expansion-draft exclusive UFA window, do you think McPhee signs him then? It avoids the competition with other teams (which I agree, will be fierce) but it would count as the pick from Minnesota in the expansion draft.

Personally, I'd rather select Scandella with his current contract, than pay for Hanzal as a UFA.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

I would think the answer is Yes. If I'm McPhee and I can get Hanzal in here without going too deep on years, I would sign him.

The real challenge in the way this is set up is finding a way to get top six forwards. Back end won't be elite, but it will be solid. How soon they can really compete is going to come down to the forwards, so yeah if I can get a top six forward in the early UFA period I'd do it.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Minnesota is very likely to be the source of our best d-man out of the draft. You can't pass up on that to sign a guy you'd have a chance at on 7/1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad