Free Agent signings thus far

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
SWINGSTEIN & SONS are proud to announce that Scott Hartnell of Buffalo Sabres has agreed to sign a two year contract extention with the Sabres for $2.5M per season. The package includes a $2M attached to current salary for this season and $2M for next two years. We wish the Scott Hartnell and Sabres organiation all the best:handclap:

One question about home town discount. Hartnell sign an extension with Buffalo for 2.0M$ a season(Can you upgrade your salary already this year?). According to http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PHI he is signed for the next five season for a total of 20M$ which means he makes 4.0M$ in the real league, how come he sign for half that amount before he turned free agent this summer?

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
One question about home town discount. Hartnell sign an extension with Buffalo for 2.0M$ a season(Can you upgrade your salary already this year?). According to http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PHI he is signed for the next five season for a total of 20M$ which means he makes 4.0M$ in the real league, how come he sign for half that amount before he turned free agent this summer?

and if I've understood the re-negotiation/re-signing guidelines correctly, since this contract runs for the end of this + 2 more seasons, the average should actually be about half of his 862k salary for this year, so 430k+4,7m+4,2m, which would make the new deal about 3,7m per year. Considering he's on pace for career best year and has 14 points in the last 7 games, it would be odd if he's really take a 1,2m per year discount..

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto

actually, the extention is for $2.5M per season but the team want to pay $1M of his salary this season. Because half the season is gone, his salary will be adjusted by $2M this season and $2M for the next two season.

As for what he makes in the NHL, Josh had a very good arguement regarding why he is not worth $4M and because he is not UFA, we had to make a decision whether he will get a contract higher than $2.5M in an open market and team would pay a compensation for signing him and we concluded that we don't have a GM like NHL Oilers in HFNHL:sarcasm:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
actually, the extention is for $2.5M per season but the team want to pay $1M of his salary this season. Because half the season is gone, his salary will be adjusted by $2M this season and $2M for the next two season.

As for what he makes in the NHL, Josh had a very good arguement regarding why he is not worth $4M and because he is not UFA, we had to make a decision whether he will get a contract higher than $2.5M in an open market and team would pay a compensation for signing him and we concluded that we don't have a GM like NHL Oilers in HFNHL:sarcasm:

I hope "very good agruments" works when re-signing Crosby at a similar discount..

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I hope "very good agruments" works when re-signing Crosby at a similar discount..

Sure, if Crosby is performing like Hartnel of few weeks ago than we would consider it. But reality is that Flyers overpaid a guy and is not worth $4M. As for Crosby, I am sure there will be few teams that would provide you with 4 1st and sign him to a max salary.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Tha Hawks sent in offers to Reggie sometime ago and never heard anything back either. Need me to re-submit?

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
SWINGSTEIN & SONS closed another deal today by accepting a 4 year deal for Rod Brind'amour for $4M per season. After the signing was announced, one of the reporter questioned Reggie regarding this deal and he has this to say:

' I know Brind'amour has really played well the last few years but we felt that this was his chance to win the cup and given his age, we felt time was running out on him so gave a little to St Louis. However Nick has promised me that he will make the difference by paying more than the market value for Dany Heatly'

A round of the pause for Mr. Nick Quain and hopefully he will stand by his words:handclap:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just a note on the re-signing rules for players like Hartnell. Buffalo had a few things going for them to help lower the salary versus the NHL salary in Philly, which was (1) the essential signing bonus Hartnell received by Buffalo agreeing to tear up the last year of his deal, (2) Hartnell has several years left as a RFA in the HFNHL versus the deal signed in the NHL was in advance of being a UFA, as such, giving up RFA years is not as difficult for a player, and (3) Buffalo has had Hartnell for quite some time and commanded some degree of loyalty, where as in Philly, Hartnell had just been traded there in advance of him becoming a UFA, so there was no loyalty factored into his NHL deal.

Fortunately for the Blues, Heatley actually qualifies for all of the above in the Blues latest offer to him.

Unfortunately, the negotiations thus far have not gone so swimmingly. It seems the Swingstein offspring are trying to make a name for themselves on the back of Mr. Heatley :rant:

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
SWINGSTEIN & SONS closed another deal today by accepting a 4 year deal for Rod Brind'amour for $4M per season. After the signing was announced, one of the reporter questioned Reggie regarding this deal and he has this to say:

' I know Brind'amour has really played well the last few years but we felt that this was his chance to win the cup and given his age, we felt time was running out on him so gave a little to St Louis. However Nick has promised me that he will make the difference by paying more than the market value for Dany Heatly'

A round of the pause for Mr. Nick Quain and hopefully he will stand by his words:handclap:

Pay more then market value for Dany Heatley? I am sure alot of gms would not hesitate to pay the max 8M$ for Dany, does this mean that Nick will pay him more then 8M$ and if so, how :)?

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Pay more then market value for Dany Heatley? I am sure alot of gms would not hesitate to pay the max 8M$ for Dany, does this mean that Nick will pay him more then 8M$ and if so, how :)?

He is willing to pay $10M plus for Heatly and give some of the $$$ back to the league as it has become a burden carrying all that coin. Unfortunately, our league only allows $8M maximum.::amazed:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He is willing to pay $10M plus for Heatly and give some of the $$$ back to the league as it has become a burden carrying all that coin. Unfortunately, our league only allows $8M maximum.::amazed:

I gladly tried offering $10 million on the side that would be immune from the cap, but supposedly we have a rule against this.

The bloody new guys are all caught up in all the fine details...

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Dryden, can you email Mickey Swingtein with all your offers. The email is under Manager contact. I believe Mickey has received your email and will address it soon.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
SWINGSTEIN & SONS are proud to announced that they were able to secure a 4 year contract for Rick Dipietro with Carolina Hurricane for $4.5M per season. The negotiation was very intense and took Dion the Poof some time to agree to the term and legnth of the term. Dion wanted to match the NHL 10 year deal but unfortunately we don't give out such a deal in the HFNHL.

We congratulate Carolina Hurricane and Dion the poof all the best for this season and his committment in building a winning team for many more years.:handclap:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Two of the biggest RFA client have agreed to a long term contract and continue their journey with Carolina Hurricane.

Alexander Ovechkin has agreed to 3 year contract extention for $8M per season. However, he will be paid the $24M over 4 year and his last year contract will be voided.

Dion Phaneuf has agreed to 3 year $5.33M contract extention and will be piad over 4 years with $4M per season and his last year contract of $850 will be destroyed.

After the signing was done, Dion the Carolina GM had this to say ' I feel I deserve this two players especially Dion Phaneuf, did you guys know that he was named after me, there is no way I would have let this guy walk' As for Alexander ' Did you know that I am planning to name my next child Alexander - well it all depends on how Mr. Overchkin does for our team' but at the moment I am very happy to sign both these players to a long term contract'

SWINGSTEIN & SONS would like to wish the Carolina Hurricane all the best as they have made the right decision by locking the two key players to a long term deal.:handclap:

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
wow, you can just void the last year of an entry level contract? thats news to me. i thought they are set in stone.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
wow, you can just void the last year of an entry level contract? thats news to me. i thought they are set in stone.

Dito. I know this is not a possibility in the NHL and when I asked Reggie about this in the offseason, he told me that entry level contracts can't be re-negotiated. Has this suddenly changed and if so, shouldn't the GM's have been notified about it?

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Two of the biggest RFA client have agreed to a long term contract and continue their journey with Carolina Hurricane.

Alexander Ovechkin has agreed to 3 year contract extention for $8M per season. However, he will be paid the $24M over 4 year and his last year contract will be voided.

Dion Phaneuf has agreed to 3 year $5.33M contract extention and will be piad over 4 years with $4M per season and his last year contract of $850 will be destroyed.

After the signing was done, Dion the Carolina GM had this to say ' I feel I deserve this two players especially Dion Phaneuf, did you guys know that he was named after me, there is no way I would have let this guy walk' As for Alexander ' Did you know that I am planning to name my next child Alexander - well it all depends on how Mr. Overchkin does for our team' but at the moment I am very happy to sign both these players to a long term contract'

SWINGSTEIN & SONS would like to wish the Carolina Hurricane all the best as they have made the right decision by locking the two key players to a long term deal.:handclap:

SWINGSTEIN & SONS had too much to drink last night and agreed to tear up the rookie contract for Alexander Ovechkin and Dion Phaneuf and than realized that this cannot be done. Therefore the contract is null and void.

We would like to apologize to Dion about this bleep :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad