GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I'm not here to make excuses for Gorton, but I imagine there would be a lot of unhappy campers if roster spots got taken up by redundant vets. Once camp rolled around and when certain guys made waves but still got blocked, more complaints. And if someone like Dunn got traded for a steal, there would be complaints we killed our cap with buyouts and petty contracts.

Even if this is the opening night roster, that doesn't mean it can't change at any time. With the cap crunch everywhere, a decent trade is bound to pop up. Opportunity while find a GM that is patient with cap space.

All season long it's about prospects not getting opportunities. All summer long it's about acquiring players to fill the roster.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I think we’re going to be worse defensively this year than last. But, if Schneider, Miller, and Robertson all pan out, we’re going to win 5 cups in a row. A big mobile defense is how you win in the playoffs, not with a bunch of small OFD.

unfortunately we’re several years off from seeing those guys in the NHL. So for now our blue line is diarrhea.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I think we’re going to be worse defensively this year than last. But, if Schneider, Miller, and Robertson all pan out, we’re going to win 5 cups in a row. A big mobile defense is how you win in the playoffs, not with a bunch of small OFD.

unfortunately we’re several years off from seeing those guys in the NHL. So for now our blue line is diarrhea.
Several years? I think we'll see some Miller this year and Schneider next year. They're on their way.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

We’re also several years off from being contenders so it all works out!

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Strome and possibly Deangelo will not be on this team after this coming season....just the way she's gonna shake out. Gorton saying he'd move him to the left side when the team was reluctant to do it last year is just trying to show the league he isn't desperate to move Deangelo, which if he gets a big award out of Arbitration he will be.

Reactions: eco's bones

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Strome and possibly Deangelo will not be on this team after this coming season....just the way she's gonna shake out. Gorton saying he'd move him to the left side when the team was reluctant to do it last year is just trying to show the league he isn't desperate to move Deangelo, which if he gets a big award out of Arbitration he will be.

I think they bridge deal ADA before arbitration, he knows another season on the top PP unit with Panarin and Zibanenad is going to do wonders for his eventual UFA payday, meanwhile NYR keep the resign price of Fox down by using him in a more balanced role.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I like what they've not done.

JJ would not have done, yet it likely turns out to be pretty inconsequential. He is going to play more than he should yet he is also not likely to block anyone. The one thing that bothers me most, it's a typical Ranger thing to do and I was hoping they'd move beyond that.

RFAs, I would have played it the same way. I'd go one year on all of them whether they sign outside arbitration or not. Caveats being they need to not self rent Strome no matter what. Arbitration does not concern me. Them self renting and losing an asset for nothing, Fast, does bother me.

Fast I would have not minded the 2Mx3 yet maybe he wanted to leave and really I would not blame him. However I am pretty sure he is the type of player they will be looking for in the not too distant future as he was one, if not the only, good defensively responsible forwards they had.

Trades that have not happened, I'm good with that too mostly because I don't think they can get back the on ice value they'd be sending out in those deals. This still concerns me most at this point, I am not going to be a fan if they end up capitulating in trade to try to fix stuff that may fix itself.

Reactions: bl02

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It depends on which players make the team. Every potential bonus dollar above 6.1125 mil has to be subtracted from our cap space.

For example, if Kravtsov makes the team, he will cost us 1.775 mil against the cap. 925k for his cap hit and another 850k for potential performance bonuses. Whether or not he earns those bonuses is a separate issue.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but what happens if/when these performance bonuses aren't met? I know they can't carry over money to next season, so basically it's just "lost"? That seems punitive and something that should've been addressed in the new CBA.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We traded Skjei right before the shutdown. Lindgren/Fox was a solid pairing.

Why shift ADA from 3RD to 3LD before the Skjei trade? Why shift him to a new position after the Skjei trade just for the play-in round?

The fact is, there wasn't a need and there wasn't a great opportunity to try a RD on the left side this season. Next season is a whole new ballgame.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Unfortunately you’ll need a time machine to enjoy true danger voyeur tourism, in the mid/late 80s you could have a full trip just by trolling around Port Authority and Bryant Park. Now it’s Shakespeare summer stock and Times Sq is a theme park to Corp America. Does anyone remember Billy’s?

There were two long time establishments in NYC with the name Billy's, one markedly different from the other. Unfortunately, both disappeared in the early 2000s.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'm sure this has been covered before, but what happens if/when these performance bonuses aren't met? I know they can't carry over money to next season, so basically it's just "lost"? That seems punitive and something that should've been addressed in the new CBA.

1 of the articles wrote that Cap space is recovered as season proceeds and some of those ELC bonuses become out of reach.

I dont think it needs a CBA change,
NYR had full knowledge of implications as they
- drove the rebuild and added top ELC players
- while adding Dead Cap and
- having numerous high Hit guys.
The 2 straight years of lottery luck made them more vulnerable, but no one (else) is complaining

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I like what they've not done.

JJ would not have done, yet it likely turns out to be pretty inconsequential. He is going to play more than he should yet he is also not likely to block anyone. The one thing that bothers me most, it's a typical Ranger thing to do and I was hoping they'd move beyond that.

RFAs, I would have played it the same way. I'd go one year on all of them whether they sign outside arbitration or not. Caveats being they need to not self rent Strome no matter what. Arbitration does not concern me. Them self renting and losing an asset for nothing, Fast, does bother me.

Fast I would have not minded the 2Mx3 yet maybe he wanted to leave and really I would not blame him. However I am pretty sure he is the type of player they will be looking for in the not too distant future as he was one, if not the only, good defensively responsible forwards they had.

Trades that have not happened, I'm good with that too mostly because I don't think they can get back the on ice value they'd be sending out in those deals. This still concerns me most at this point, I am not going to be a fan if they end up capitulating in trade to try to fix stuff that may fix itself.
Basically you’re saying be a bit more patient?! I’m fine with this. It would have been much worse if we did something long term stupid like claim Tyler Johnson.

Reactions: Off Sides

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah count me in as someone who is a bit annoyed with how this offseason has gone down so far.

the depth signings are fine, I like the Blackwell signing the most as it seems like there may be some more ability there than he gets credit for.

Johnson is awful and any upgrade he provides over Staal will be minimal. Who knows what else they do moving forward with their RFA’s (I imagine they’re probably done with their UFA signings) but I was much more optimistic about this team for next season a week ago than I am now. The biggest holes on this team still exist.

Reactions: Tob

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Interested in seeing how the locker room dynamic changes this year. By all accounts, Staal and Fast were very well liked by the other guys. ADA is also very well liked and the team is shopping him. Lundqvist obviously was an enormous presence in the locker room too. So there is a sea change happening. They are professionals paid to do a job of course, but there is a human aspect that impacts on-ice results as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad