GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I like this depth better than what we had last year so far.

Sign Vanek.

Continue to try and move Girardi.

Sign Vesey.

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
Hi i'm SoS and I have been saying this for months. While we were reading the Rangers were the most active on the phones, that sounded great but it didn't mean anything. I don't think it helps that so many "trusted" people had the Rangers involved in trade rumors and transactions that didn't happen for whatever reason. (Maybe the rumors were made up or valid, nobody will ever know)

Now here we sit, with basically the same team TODAY. Does not mean that will be the case in an hour, day, week, month, but today it's looking like more of the usual. Which should scare everybody. Not because we aren't giving players away or making a trade just to make a trade. That's good. What should scare is Gorton and AV said they wanted changes. We all heard it. The players heard it. But our management team misread the market. No way do they make those comments publicly if they didn't believe 100% they could've made a big trade. Why make yourself look like a fool? But that's exactly what Gorton and AV did. Now AV and Gorton have to probably backtrack for the comments made when the season ended. Not good...

It takes two to tango. They said they wanted changes and whether or not they showed their hand too much and other GM's tried to exploit that is a valid concern. But, again, I don't want to make a big splash for the sake of making a big splash. It's also a long time away from October (12th?). If the Red Wings completely strike out today, maybe we exploit them.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Building depth and competition on the cheap while some stoopid contracts being thrown around, so far so good.....

Nash Brass MZA
Krider Step Miller
Grab Hayes Buch
Xx Lindberg Fast
(Hrivik, Gerbe, Jensen, Glass,)

McD Klein
Skjei Giradi
Staal McIlrath
Holden Clend
Summers

I'd like to see a 4th line C - R Nash, and call it a day

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Hi i'm SoS and I have been saying this for months. While we were reading the Rangers were the most active on the phones, that sounded great but it didn't mean anything. I don't think it helps that so many "trusted" people had the Rangers involved in trade rumors and transactions that didn't happen for whatever reason. (Maybe the rumors were made up or valid, nobody will ever know)

Now here we sit, with basically the same team TODAY. Does not mean that will be the case in an hour, day, week, month, but today it's looking like more of the usual. Which should scare everybody. Not because we aren't giving players away or making a trade just to make a trade. That's good. What should scare everybody is Gorton and AV said they wanted changes. We all heard it. The players heard it. But our management team misread the market. No way do they make those comments publicly if they didn't believe 100% they could've made a big trade. Why make they make themselves look like fools? But that's exactly what Gorton and AV did. Now AV and Gorton have to probably backtrack for the comments made when the season ended. Not good...

Agreed on all points.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What made Rangers successful was depth, PKing and speed. We addressed bit of everything today.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I don't mind what the Rangers have done so far today, 3 short term deals for low money. Should help the PK and add speed. Didn't spend big, though they didn't have the cap space to do so anyway. They haven't done anything stupid, which is a plus.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So the Avs have brought in Colborne, Wiercioch, and Tyutin. A few smart, depth signings for them

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
Brett Cygarlis:
#NYR added speed (and not a lot else) by signing former #Isles forward Michael Grabner and diminutive winger Nathan Gerbe.

My god I hate this guy. Really wish Danny Boyle would have whipped his @$$. He is just like Mehta and most of the other clowns at the Post and the Daily News. They will complain about anything. They just love to hate anything that isn't a big story.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Rangers recognized that the PK and lack of speed were problems and addressed that today, all while staying away from overpriced big names. A+ day up til now for me.

strumwolf

Dec 28, 2006
Albany

Now here we sit, with basically the same team TODAY. Does not mean that will be the case in an hour, day, week, month, but today it's looking like more of the usual. Which should scare everybody. Not because we aren't giving players away or making a trade just to make a trade. That's good. What should scare everybody is Gorton and AV said they wanted changes. We all heard it. The players heard it. But our management team misread the market. No way do they make those comments publicly if they didn't believe 100% they could've made a big trade. Why make they make themselves look like fools? But that's exactly what Gorton and AV did. Now AV and Gorton have to probably backtrack for the comments made when the season ended. Not good...

Could also have been a message to the players that last season was not good enough.
I never really thought we could get rid of a lot of the "dead weight". The summer is long but I am not convinced there is a lot of interest in our guy and we are probably exaggerating their worth.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Brett Cygarlis:
#NYR added speed (and not a lot else) by signing former #Isles forward Michael Grabner and diminutive winger Nathan Gerbe.

My god I hate this guy. Really wish Danny Boyle would have whipped his @$$. He is just like Mehta and most of the other clowns at the Post and the Daily News. They will complain about anything. They just love to hate anything that isn't a big story.

Dan Boyle going out with a bang was classic. :handclap:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
It takes two to tango. They said they wanted changes and whether or not they showed their hand too much and other GM's tried to exploit that is a valid concern. But, again, I don't want to make a big splash for the sake of making a big splash. It's also a long time away from October (12th?). If the Red Wings completely strike out today, maybe we exploit them.

It does take two to make a trade. The Rangers management were confident enough to think they could make some key changes to the core of the team. I don't think you read my post, so I'll try again. It's good the Rangers aren't trading guys away just for the sake of making trades. It's bad that they thought they could do something and have not been able to pull it off.

Let me ask you this. Would you tell people what your plans are if you weren't confident you could pull them off? No, and i wouldn't either. It's a worry. Is it a major worry 2 hours into free agency? No. (as I said in earlier post that I'm not sure you read) I wish the Rangers said nothing after the season. Now they have to explain how and why things didn't work out.

A lot of time between now and opening night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad