Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part IV: Summer School

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Goes to show what an unprecedentedly uneventful summer it's been in NY Ranger land when we're all *****ing about a player that's likely an extra getting a 1 yr 750K deal with this much cap to burn.

October, please come quickly.

October? When? 2023?
This is the worst ranger team to hit ice since Sather rebuild. ..

A declining 8m goalie
A shambles of a defense
1 #1 C who's a hit away from retirement, a mix of 2nd,3rd tear forwards and ????

Worse yet.... not ONE legit top talent on which to build around ..

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
October? When? 2023?

A declining 8m goalie
A shambles of a defense
1 #1 C who's a hit away from retirement, a mix of 2nd,3rd tear forwards and ????

So then yeah we are ready to have a chance at a #1 pick, whats the issue??

I really dont think most people have a feeling for how painful this rebuild is going to be. Brace yourself for the next couple years....

Reactions: jas and Berserk

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If the Rangers had lucked out and won the draft lottery and gotten Rasmus, it would have altered the way the rebuild went drastically. If the Rangers could get the #1 pick this coming year (I know, a long shot), it would really go a long way to "shortening" the rebuild.

So let's hope we are complete dog shit this season.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
October? When? 2023?

A declining 8m goalie
A shambles of a defense

I can see other teams being better comparatively, but I have no reason to think this team is worse than 09/10 and 10/11

Reactions: TheTakedown

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If the Rangers had lucked out and won the draft lottery and gotten Rasmus, it would have altered the way the rebuild went drastically. If the Rangers could get the #1 pick this coming year (I know, a long shot), it would really go a long way to "shortening" the rebuild.

So let's hope we are complete dog **** this season.

We don't even have to get the #1OA. There should be some great prospects available in the top 5...almost any of which would shoot to the top of our list and be a great player to build around.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I can see other teams being better comparatively, but I have no reason to think this team is worse than 09/10 and 10/11

Last years team was worse than both of those teams.

Last years team also had Nash/McDonagh/Grabner for most of the season.

Those 3 guys haven't been replaced.

The 2 teams you mentioned were in the playoff hunt right up until the end, one year they missed, the next they got in.

This team will not be in that position.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
So then yeah we are ready to have a chance at a #1 pick, whats the issue??

I really dont think most people have a feeling for how painful this rebuild is going to be. Brace yourself for the next couple years....

I think this year will be the worst of it. I could be completely off, but I see a bottom 5 finish. However, I think the '19-'20 season will be a pleasant surprise. Not a cup contender mind you, but an upstart young squad that starts to have an identity and wins at least as often as it loses. Maybe even a shot at the post season depending on who is brought in next summer. Anyway, I don't see the real pain extending much beyond this season.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
000470216.jpg

Could sure use a blueliner like JP on D for our rebuild.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
October? When? 2023?

A declining 8m goalie
A shambles of a defense

I don't just watch the Rangers. ;)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Can’t say I like the signing (duh) but here’s a thing, as @NYR Viper said this is a somewhat reactionary signing as a result of what Lou has been doing to the Isles roster bringing on all this toffness.

Moreover, even prior to July 1 FA season the Rangers were connected with enforcer type names like Komarov or Reeves etc but these signings didn’t happen.

These guys cannot be 100% protectors against other teams crossing the line of physical plays into something more dangerous, however they are well respected in locker rooms by other players and GENERALLY they are there serving as lightning rods against opponents’ tough guys. Hopefully, the way the game is developing - most games unnecessarily and seating in press box.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I’ve been looking at other teams lineups and we’re possibly a playoff team in my opinion. Especially under a new coach

Yeah, what scares me is definitely not peak performance, it’s the dips and undeserved losses and so forth if you get what I mean.

The difference between +/- 8 losses after 82 games is enourmous. You can’t lose that 1 game of 10 more than the other teams. It takes so little to lose a game in the NHL — so much to win it.

You can destroy a season with a part of the team not functioning early. You can destroy the season by losing your footing for 2-3 weeks at any time.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Can’t say I like the signing (duh) but here’s a thing, as @NYR Viper said this is a somewhat reactionary signing as a result of what Lou has been doing to the Isles roster bring on all this toffness.

Moreover, even prior to July 1 FA season the Rangers were connected with enforcer type names like Komarov or Reeves etc but these signings didn’t happen.

These guys cannot be 100% protectors against other teams crossing the line of physical plays into something more dangerous, however they are well respected in locker rooms by other players and GENERALLY they are there serving as lightning rods against opponents’ tough guys. Hopefully, the way the game is developing - most games unnecessarily and seating in press box.

Great post.

Look, I don’t think an entire organization can be completely without any kind of grit. I think it’s good to have someone around that can show the kids the ropes. An alpha male, an unconditional loyal leader.

You can get that guy for 750k per on 1y deal or 4m per on a 5 year deal. Is the later better than the former? Marginally at best. Is any of them really gonna help you on the ice? Lol I doubt it.

So didn’t we get a perfect fit?? If you have to get a useless bum — I take the 750k guy over the 4m guy any time. JMHO.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
So is cally , cirelli and the guaranteed first for two whatever contracts a possibility ?

Cirelli needs to be upgraded. Plus I don't think Cally agrees to waive to come to NY. Bobby Ryan is the key. Can we get him with some retained and then build his game up and then flip him at deadline with some more retained?

Reactions: TheTakedown
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Cirelli needs to be upgraded. Plus I don't think Cally agrees to waive to come to NY. Bobby Ryan is the key. Can we get him with some retained and then build his game up and then flip him at deadline with some more retained?
Not sure this is going to be the kind of team where you come to build up your game.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
look at the difference in the ahl salary vs nhl salary. Boo your livelihood is on the line here guy.

Rich or poor bro.
This is pretty standard on most, if not all two-way contracts. In fact, it was roughly the same split on his ELC. Not sure why it's worth bringing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->