FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Reactions: GregSirico

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I have a hard time believing it's validity, but man Columbus really screwed us if the rumor is true that McDonagh was going for Hall+4OA in 2016

Would have totally changed the direction of the franchise
what was the rumor?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Maloney said on a pre-game segment that there was a verbal deal around #4 to NYR at the 2016 draft. This is not "Brooks off-season nonsense"

Once CBJ took PLD, the deal got cancelled.

Maloney gave no specifics, but simple deduction leads you to McDonagh going to EDM, especially since after the draft, Chiarelli did Hall for Larsson.

EDM wanted D. Something around McDonagh for the #4 (with the stipulation that Puljujarvi wasn't available) makes so much sense.

McDonagh is better than Larsson, so Chiarelli adding Hall makes sense, although it's difficult to think down to his level at that point. Thought I guess Hall for McDonagh in 2016 was more equal than the garbage he ended up actually doing.

Reactions: TheTakedown

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Maloney said on a pre-game segment that there was a verbal deal around #4 to NYR at the 2016 draft. This is not "Brooks off-season nonsense"

Maloney gave no specifics, but simple deduction leads you to McDonagh going to EDM, especially since after the draft, Chiarelli did Hall for Larsson.

EDM wanted D. Something around McDonagh for the #4 (with the stipulation that Puljujarvi wasn't available) makes so much sense.

McDonagh is better than Larsson, so Chiarelli adding Hall makes sense, although it's difficult to think down to his level at that point. Thought I guess Hall for McDonagh in 2016 was more equal than the garbage he ended up actually doing.

Why would Edmonton trade for McDonagh just after trading for Larsson???

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Basically this.

There was a lot of smoke that we were close to making several moves that summer coming from people in the know. For what ever reason, they didn't materialize and they ended up keeping their team in tact.

It's somewhat annoying because that was exactly when it should have started and we'd be in a much better position currently.

Better late than never, but yeah.

Deleted member 23124

Was trying to post this when other thread was closed:

Nobody can argue that it wasn’t a horrible decision to not trade McDonagh and resign Yandle instead, when he left for Florida. I called for it at the time. McD surely would have returned a bounty. We would still have Yandle as an asset to move.
It’s on par with letting Stralman walk. I can’t understand why NYR always make these really obvious mistakes time after time after time again. Yandle is surely going to perform the entirety of that contract. Top Ds are making 11m per, soon to be 12m. Yandle is at a little more than 6m per.
I am really afraid that not moving Shatty is going to turn into another one of these mistakes... How could we decide to resign Brandon Smith? He wasn’t even good here at the wrong side. How much was Gorts influenced with advanced stats when it came to that complete and utter miserable decision?? AV didn’t play Smith in important defensive situations at RD for a reason. Smith had good advanced stats which fooled the analytics. Like Quinn said, you can only play on the wrong side as an emergency solution. Gorts he dumb **** gave Smith a monster contract as an emergency solution. Gorts should have known better.
Gorts just must really effin start to shape up management, not blaming him for everything Slats did, I just don’t know who was responsible for what, but we can’t be this brain dead moving forward.
Zucc is another one that we just barely managed to keep, due to pure dumb luck. Easily our MVP winger the last decade, great contract. Since he got here he has been threatened as crap in a sense.
How come we are so brain dead year in and year out? Why are nobody asking these questions about the management of this team?
I can't really comment on your Yandle statements....personally, I thought that was a bad move from the get go and I've never really cared for him and was glad to see him gone.

Stralman was one of THE dumbest moves made by this organization in recent years....and it only became worse when they promptly signed The Boil for the same money.

Shatty was another deal I was not fond of....

I'm not sold on Smith being as bad as they say....however, I could be wrong. We shall see.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Basically this.

There was a lot of smoke that we were close to making several moves that summer coming from people in the know. For what ever reason, they didn't materialize and they ended up keeping their team in tact.

It's somewhat annoying because that was exactly when it should have started and we'd be in a much better position currently.

Better late than never, but yeah
Blame Columbus

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
And if that deal was actually on the table and Gorton let it slip through his fingers, my already lessening opinion of him would be irreparably destroyed. This after the huge waste that was the Staal trade and losing Yandle for nothing.

Yikes. Just an awful read on the state of the franchise and delayed the inevitable by 2 years.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
The more each day passes without Karlsson being signed to Tampa, the more I imagine Yzerman losing his mind trying to get this deal done, which in turn makes me happier and happier. It would be down-right shameful if Yzerman cannot seal the deal to create an absolute powerhouse squad for an asset that has made it publicly known that he wants out of his current team and made it seem he exclusively only wants to sign an extension in Tampa, this year.

:popcorn:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Cleaning this up from the last thread...

Arizona traded #20 and #53 (sound familiar?) to Detroit for #16 and Datsyuk’s contract. It was a hockey trade that turned out exceedingly well because Chychrun is going to be an excellent defenseman. They didn’t take the contract for the pick.

Arizona’s 2016 draft was outstanding.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
And if that deal was actually on the table and Gorton let it slip through his fingers, my already lessening opinion would be irreparably destroyed. This after the huge waste that was the Staal trade and losing Yandle for nothing.

Yikes.

The deal was in place as long as Pool Party was not available for Edmonton to take. He didn't let it slip through his fingers, it just never materialized....At least that is what was implied in the media.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The deal was in place as long as Pool Party was not available for Edmonton to take. He didn't let it slip through his fingers, it just never materialized....At least that is what was implied in the media.

That's why you make the trade before the draft.

The Jets sure as shit would have had to pay way more than what they did if they were to move up on draft night with Darnold there at three.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Except the Oilers have to agree to make that deal before the draft as well.

It's like you're ignoring the obvious on purpose.

Chiarelli agreed to trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. You have the moron on the ropes and you strike, like Shero did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->