Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part II - Who is left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Curious to know which of the following is more important to the NYR Organization currently.

1) Finding a way to get out of the 2 bad contracts they currently have (Staal and Smith)
2) Adding additional assets by taking on other clubs bad contracts (Ryan, or Callahan or both)
100% #2

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Curious to know which of the following is more important to the NYR Organization currently.

1) Finding a way to get out of the 2 bad contracts they currently have (Staal and Smith)
2) Adding additional assets by taking on other clubs bad contracts (Ryan, or Callahan or both)

Most of the hearsay would suggest the latter. We have heard nothing about trying to dump Staal or Smith.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

We can worry about Staal/Smith when were ready to compete more and their contracts will be more easily moveable

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Most of the hearsay would suggest the latter. We have heard nothing about trying to dump Staal or Smith.

No reason to dump Staal or Smith.
Really hope last season was a massive wake up call for Smith and he comes to camp in shape and hungry for a roster spot.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
For TB, the only future that matters right now is:

2018-19 - 2019-20 - 2020-21

As good as they are right now, that is the OLNY future that matters.

If they can win a cup or two, you gladly pay the hefty bill when the time comes and deal with the pain that comes with it.

Trust me, the joy they will experience will far outweigh any pain they go through in 5-7 years from now.

IMHO

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
For TB, the only future that matters right now is:

2018-19 - 2019-20 - 2020-21

As good as they are right now, that is the OLNY future that matters.

If they can win a cup or two, you gladly pay the hefty bill when the time comes and deal with the pain that comes with it.

Trust me, the joy they will experience will far outweigh any pain they go through in 5-7 years from now.

IMHO

We were in the same position not too long ago.

Reactions: pld459666

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I must not have been watching the same player last year. He had a couple of rough mistakes but he also was able to control the puck and make plays that no one on the defense was able to make. He's never going to be perfect in his own end, but he could turn into a Sami Vatanen-type.

I think people are too hard on him. He's better than Staal and Smith already because he can actually handle the puck and make a play with the puck.

I think ADA is kind of strange in that people will see what they want to see in him. Some people see an offensive defenseman who hasn't managed to put up points yet and can't play D at all. Other people see a guy who can control the puck in the offensive zone better than any other D on the team, is effective at transitioning the puck, and who at least puts in an effort to improve defensively...a guy who's trying to put it all together. Both sides will tell you that they're right and you're crazy if you believe otherwise.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
This is going to sound more aggressive than I intend it to be, but I assure that isn't my intention. I am generally curious.

Is there anyone who is okay with DeAngelo on this roster but would not have been okay with Duclair on this roster? If yes, why?

I'd take them both along with both Kanes AND Voynov.

But that's just me

Reactions: Gardner McKay

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I didn't really see any character problems with DeAngelo last year. His main issue is to improve defensively. I don't think he's ever going to be great with that but he has an offensive skillset that should play well in today's game. His defense needs to get to a point where it's good enough where his offensive creativity can offset his defensive play. If he can do that he should become a regular player. If he continues to struggle with it he's going to be a AHL/NHL tweener. Last year he struggled. Some of the blame might be given to the coaching staff but to be fair when they did play Tony they were usually very careful with his matchups. So some of it lies with Tony too. He's young. He needs to get better. It might not happen with us.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yup, they’re going full Pittsburgh if they get Karlsson. Just absolutely no plan for the future whatsoever. Which will maybe be ok if they actually win a few but with the way Stamkos and Kucherov wilt under the spotlight I won’t be surprised if they never win one with this core.

Kucherov wilts under the spotlight? He had 17 points in 17 games in the post-season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kucherov wilts under the spotlight? He had 17 points in 17 games in the post-season.

Probably the best roster in the playoffs and they didn't get it done which will always mean people say they choked, etc.

Playoffs are just their own thing...best team doesn't always win, more like the luckiest team or the team that manages to get hot at the right time.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
This is going to sound more aggressive than I intend it to be, but I assure that isn't my intention. I am generally curious.

Is there anyone who is okay with DeAngelo on this roster but would not have been okay with Duclair on this roster? If yes, why?

I feel like TDA is what we would have called a "Guido" when I was a youngster - basically someone who would have been on "Jersey Shore" if he was a normal dude and not a hockey player. I don't necessarily want to have a beer with the guy, but as long as he's not a murderer/rapist/wife beater, it doesn't bother me that he's on the team. As for Duclair, I think if we could have gotten him for the price CBJ got him for, it would have been zero risk, so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad