Free Agent Frenzy - Friday 10/9

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Report: Hanifin trade talks pick up steam

Red Wings, B's, Buf & Cbj reported to have spoken with CGY regarding Hanifin.

I can't imagine what we'd send the other way.

I'd do Cholo+mid/late 2nd+Mastro. "Throw in" DDK+3rd for Monahan+ 1yr.<$4m capdump, 2C would be solved :naughty::laugh:

report was from Boston Bruins insider Jimmy Murphy...Is this guy credible ??

He's not a UFA...didn't wanna start a new thread

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The cost would determine the value, but a 23 yo d-man with 4 years remaining at 4.95 million is pretty solid. I don't know if he'll ever be more than a 30 point guy and he has a modified NTC for the final 2 years so that could complicate matters, but he'd still be in his prime when the contract ends and you can decide whether or not he's part of the core and if not you trade him. He has to provide 8 teams he'd be willing to accept being traded. I am kinda intrigued.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

I'd do Cholo+mid/late 2nd+Mastro. "Throw in" DDK+3rd for Monahan+ 1yr.<$4m capdump, 2C would be solved :naughty::laugh:

Very interesting. What is Calgary looking for? Roster players or to cut costs? If it didn't cost any of Larkin/Bert/Mantha/Hronek/Raymond/Veleno/Seider/Zadina I think it would be worth considering.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Eh, Hanifin would be nice, but I don't see him as a core player.

Stop-gap yes.
I look at him as potentially being a Brad Stuart, ie a guy who was drafted with the expectation he would be an offensive d-man. That hasn't really materialized but he's a really good skater and could turn into a reliable top 4 defensive d-man. I am not saying WE MUST trade for him, the cost would have to be right.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Very interesting. What is Calgary looking for? Roster players or to cut costs? If it didn't cost any of Larkin/Bert/Mantha/Hronek/Raymond/Veleno/Seider/Zadina I think it would be worth considering.
Personally I'd have no problem if either Veleno, or Zadina were part of a package to get Hanifin.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
wth? Zadina/Veleno etc. That's way too much quality. Creates another current/future hole to plug one now @ 5x the cost.

Think expendable pieces. This is HF boards, quantity for "quality" is kosher. :naughty::D

Cholo+ mid/late 2nd + minor piece(s) (Hirose/Mastro.), or NO trade. (maybe sub Tuomisto if they don't bite on Cholo). Offer likely gets beat, but Noah's been a Negative +/- primarily on 2 teams 4/5 yrs. Much of that could be written off as well Car/Cgy sucked that year, partner sucked, injured, TOI, QoC%, OZS/DZS etc.

He sounds more like a younger version of what many people describe DDK is now... not the "The Human Eraser version" but the $5M, mobile, 30 pt. version who isn't physical, who may or may not be decent in the Dzone on any given night.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I look at him as potentially being a Brad Stuart, ie a guy who was drafted with the expectation he would be an offensive d-man. That hasn't really materialized but he's a really good skater and could turn into a reliable top 4 defensive d-man. I am not saying WE MUST trade for him, the cost would have to be right.

For me, the cost would have to be Ryan Murray comparable.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Quantity =/= Quality bro. DDK and Cholo are barely needle movers in a trade like this and Mastro a 2nd and a 3rd aren't enough to Monahan alone, let alone both.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For me, the cost would have to be Ryan Murray comparable.

Noah Hanifin has missed 8 total games since turning pro, I don't think Murray is a good comparable at all. Now we don't have to flip them Dougie Hamilton at this point, but the reason Murray's cost sunk as low as it did is that he is hurt a substantial amount more.

I am all for bringing in Hanifin. But like everyone else I really don't know the cost. I will say it wouldn't surprise me if Yzerman disliked guys we liked in the prospect pool, they aren't really his guys in some cases.

I mean the Boston rumor is DeBrusk and Moore, we can say they aren't going to pay that, but this shouldn't be a dirt cheap piece of business, we are going to have to part with something we like.

Larkin would be over the moon and this would make Werenski a near lock if he ever hits free agency. Larkin, Eichel, Werenski and Hanifin were the leadership clique on their USMNTDP team together and from most accounts remain extremely close friends.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Quantity =/= Quality bro. DDK and Cholo are barely needle movers in a trade like this and Mastro a 2nd and a 3rd aren't enough to Monahan alone, let alone both.
I'm aware of all that. It was a tongue in cheek proposal, as later referenced "a trade in our favor" , "quality for quantity on HF Boards is Kosher :naughty::D:laugh:" etc. see posts #1004 & #1012. Free Agent Frenzy - Friday 10/9

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Here is an interesting article but I don't think he would want to come here.
Should the Red Wings Sign F Mike Hoffman?
Since he's open to a short term deal (but won't drop $5-7m) asking price, I'd go 1-2yrs @ $5ish, but only with the agreement to trade him @TDL '21. He'd likely agree since he'd likely get to be on a contender.

He could snag us a late 1st.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Noway we're already weak at the Center position so Joe Veleno is a no go. So is Zadina not trading a potential 30 to 40 goal scorer for Hanifin no freaking way.
Veleno is likely to be a 3rd line center at best in the NHL, and 'potential' is just that for Zadina - hasn't done anything remotely impressive at the NHL, or AHL level thus far.

Speaking of Zadina in the top Czech league has 4 goals and 1 assist in 3 games.
Czech league is like what - a step, or 2 below the AHL?

I know I'm coming across as a pessimistic ass, but lets not overvalue our prospect pool...Hanifin while nowhere near a Norris Trophy candidate is playing top 4 Dman minutes, and would likely be the best guy on our blueline the second he dons a Wings jersey.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Veleno is likely to be a 3rd line center at best in the NHL, and 'potential' is just that for Zadina - hasn't done anything remotely impressive at the NHL, or AHL level thus far.

Czech league is like what - a step, or 2 below the AHL?

I know I'm coming across as a pessimistic ass, but lets not overvalue our prospect pool...Hanifin while nowhere near a Norris Trophy candidate is playing top 4 Dman minutes, and would likely be the best guy on our blueline the second he dons a Wings jersey.
His stock has fallen off a good bit in the last ~1.5 seasons, both CGY & CAR fans can attest to that. 1.5 yrs ago when Mantha for Hanifin was proposed, they balked, in the last 6+ months it's the opposite, despite Hanifin playing a premium position, being cheaper & more established.

The highest I'd go is Ras + 3rd + Hirose and/or Mastro. Cgy likely doesn't accept that. Covid & budget team all factor in our favor. More teams will be looking for ELC & prospects/picks vs. taking on salary. However, their "window" is now & rumors around Gudreau/Monahan have been circulating for a while now. This means they'll likely want an NHL player included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad