GDT: Free Agent Frenzy - EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
THe only reason Florida looks good is because of Ekblad and Barkov. Dont get it twisted they made some very good moves, but those few years of drafting high got them the base that they needed to build around.

So what you're saying is you need good hockey players to have a good hockey team? Sounds logical...

Florida is also good because they've been able to support their core with other good players.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Exactly. That is exactly correct.

Does ANYONE think that our defensive re-tool has been more successful than Florida's?

Kind of disappointing, we lost assets twice on Hamhuis with the deadline catastrophe

Gudbranson 5th

Could have been

Hamhuis, McCann, 33rd, 4th, 1st/2nd+ prospect

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Kind of disappointing, we lost assets twice on Hamhuis with the deadline catastrophe

Gudbranson 5th

Could have been

The complete and reckless disregard for asset management is the reason why Benning should be fired immediately. It's a common theme in so many of his actions and deals, and there's simply no excuse for it.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
too old, maybe they don't see him holding up for a full season

or he doesn't want to be in a bottom pairing role and florida believes Pysyk can do just as well in that capacity

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Florida also was in a clear playoff position at the deadline, so even if you don't want to resign him, theres an arguement that can be made for keeping him as a rental for the playoffs.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Campbell is still a very effective hockey player and that, along with the Borgstrom pick, were literally the only questionable choices they made. They're on a roll in Florida right now.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So what you're saying is you need good hockey players to have a good hockey team? Sounds logical...

Florida is also good because they've been able to support their core with other good players.

They should send Gilligan a XMAS card every year for gift wrapping them Luongo. Without him, they don't get into the playoffs. I'm shocked you didn't mention this.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

My point was that finishing that high in the draft is crucial for having success. And thay we should have went down that path as those players are almost impossible to find outside the top of the draft.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
How does it make no sense? They kept him for playoff depth last year and then let him walk as he's 38 and they have no need for him.

He's really, really good at hockey he wasn't just some "depth player" he played the most even strength minutes on the team and was their most effective dman (yes even better than Ekblad)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They should send Gilligan a XMAS card every year for gift wrapping them Luongo. Without him, they don't get into the playoffs. I'm shocked you didn't mention this.

I guess after hearing everyone on this board talk about how bad Luongo is that must have slipped my mind. Have people learned their lesson?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
He's really, really good at hockey he wasn't just some "depth player" he played the most even strength minutes on the team and was their most effective dman (yes even better than Ekblad)

Everyone knew Campbell wanted to go back to Chicago on a 1 year deal to try for a cup. I don't think there was much Florida could do about that.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

They paid almost nothing for Yandle (Campbell's replacement) so it shouldn't really be considered too much of a loss.

They couldn't really do anything about it anyway unless they were going to trade him away at last year's deadline even though they were going to make the playoffs.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Polak is absolutely terrible and was terrible on a grand stage with SJ. Don't think he's getting another 2nd rounder this time around; weird move. Guess the Leafs need bodies on D.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Polak is absolutely terrible and was terrible on a grand stage with SJ. Don't think he's getting another 2nd rounder this time around; weird move. Guess the Leafs need bodies on D.

They talked about how he was a true pro, good role model for their young kids.

So even if they only get a 7th for him, it's a bonus.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
To be fair they lost Campbell for nothing which makes absolutely no sense.

According to reports, they offered him more money and term and he said no. He just really wanted to go back to his boys in Chicago.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i genuinely wouldnt care about signing polak to a one year deal. just means benning cant fill that spot with long-term garbage

still a bad player

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Gudbranson 5th

Could have been

Sigh...

This is hilariously disingenuous. For one, it presumes McCann will be a guaranteed success and Gudbranson a failure. It then equates value Hamhuis didn't have. Your assumed value doesn't supersede what Dallas and Chicago actually offered, which was essentially nothing. The second, I agree, should be ours. We overpaid in that respect, but seeing the premium RHD go for nowadays, it's not a surprise. Finally, Hamhuis has maybe two or three years left in him. Gudbranson has more than a decade.

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
Sigh...

This is hilariously disingenuous. For one, it presumes McCann will be a guaranteed success and Gudbranson a failure. It then equates value Hamhuis didn't have. Your assumed value doesn't supersede what Dallas and Chicago actually offered, which was essentially nothing. The second, I agree, should be ours. We overpaid in that respect, but seeing the premium RHD go for nowadays, it's not a surprise. Finally, Hamhuis has maybe two or three years left in him. Gudbranson has more than a decade.
I thought it was pretty widely reported Chicago was offering a first and Dano? Also it doesn't really say anything about McCann being a success in the post. It just lists the names.
Also it's pretty unfair to say that the other post was making guarantees when you just suggested that Hamhuis will at best play until he is 36 and Gudbranson is somehow guaranteed to play well past 34 despite differences in playing styles and unforeseeable injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad