GDT: Free agent frenzy - day 2+

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Didn't they just do this same exact thing with Dzingel? He was a skill winger that got healthy scratched in the playoffs by his former club. The market undervalued him, so we thought, and he signed a short-term contract that was well regarded at the time.

They too ended up healthy scratching him in the playoffs and traded him early in the following season.

Beggars can't be choosers, but anything beyond 1 year at a modest number for Tatar runs the risk of becoming an impediment in future years. The skill types are present on the roster. Another worker bee type is what is needed to balance them out. That’s what Saad represented. That may not be available now, but keeping the cap space open if it does is an understandable path.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Didn't they just do this same exact thing with Dzingel? He was a skill winger that got healthy scratched in the playoffs by his former club. The market undervalued him, so we thought, and he signed a short-term contract that was well regarded at the time.

They too ended up healthy scratching him in the playoffs and traded him early in the following season.

Beggars can't be choosers, but anything beyond 1 year at a modest number for Tatar runs the risk of becoming an impediment in future years. The skill types are present on the roster. Another worker bee type is what is needed to balance them out. That’s what Saad represented. That may not be available now, but keeping the cap space open if it does is an understandable path.
We may be better off giving youngsters like Suzuki and Rees turns at a higher level spot. Just rotate them and save the money for when someone comes available as the season goes.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
What's the point of putting Tatar with Staal and Fast? To score 10-10?

We already have similar (average) LW in Nino. We need legit top 6 winger, not another Dzingel type (not a fit for Rod system).

Tatar's a different kind of player than Dzingel. Dzingel was never really known as a play-driver or puck hound even though he scored a bunch in Ottawa. Tatar IS that, though. He'd IMO be a much better fit here.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
We may be better off giving youngsters like Suzuki and Rees turns at a higher level spot. Just rotate them and save the money for when someone comes available as the season goes.

As inefficient as it would be to go into the season with $6 mil -$7 mil in cap space on top of a $4.05 mil scratch, I can get behind it if the alternatives are a multi-year contract to Tatar or taking on the extra year of Tarasenko in full (no retention or Gardiner).

Reactions: MinJaBen

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
As inefficient as it would be to go into the season with $6 mil -$7 mil in cap space on top of a $4.05 mil scratch, I can get behind it if the alternatives are a multi-year contract to Tatar or taking on the extra year of Tarasenko in full (no retention or Gardiner).

You think that Tatar can get a multi-year contract after Montreal scratched him for the postseason, whether justified or not? I have my doubts.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
You haven’t watched a lot of his games, I’m guessing. Tatar isn’t a soft player IMO. He’s often misjudged as such because he’s not all that gritty, but you kind of can’t be soft to get his kind of consistently high puck possession results. I think that he would play really well with Jordo.

Upgrading Jordos lw is aiming too low for my taste. We need a top 6 goal scorer preferably someone whose game is built for the playoffs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You think that Tatar can get a multi-year contract after Montreal scratched him for the postseason, whether justified or not? I have my doubts.

If he takes the necessary discount in search of some security, I don't see why not. Dzingel did. A lot of teams won't be thinking about if he'll hold up in a deep playoff run and value him accordingly.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I agree that Tatar isn’t necessarily the best solution for LW.

Forsberg is the best solution by far which means he will cost a ton. With that the 1st is worth alot as we don’t know how good this squad will be.

Tatar is the cheapest to acquire and probably won’t cost a ton of cash either. We can find out how good we are and then trade for Forsberg during the season. We know the worth of that first at that point.

Tarasenko is somewhere between there. He has a lot of risk because of his shoulder. He shouldn’t cost a bunch to acquire.

rakell is another option. Not quite as much health risk as Tarasenko but will cost more than Tarasenko to acquire too.

Palmieri is going to want too much term

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Upgrading Jordans wing is almost pointless, let some of the youngsters fight it out for that spot where they can learn how to play defense.

I love Jordan, and he's a huge part of our success up to this point but he's probably a 4C on a cup contending team. There's a reason offensive gifted players dry up when they're on his wing.

Leave the S-A-T line alone, and look for an upgrade for Ninos spot next to Young Tro, either push Nino down to the 3rd or package him in a deal for his replacement.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I’d love Forsberg but not for one season as a rental.
Oh yea. Re-signing him is a must. Running a top 6 that is
Forsberg-Aho-Turbo
Svech-Tro-Necas
for at least 3 seasons is drool worthy.
Really as long as the rest of the roster is decent we will be really good.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Oh yea. Re-signing him is a must. Running a top 6 that is
Forsberg-Aho-Turbo
Svech-Tro-Necas
for at least 3 seasons is drool worthy.
Really as long as the rest of the roster is decent we will be really good.
Four of those top six would need to be resigned over those three seasons. After watching this organization so far, that’s impossible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad