GDT: Free Agent "Frenzy": Day 2 and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Unfortunately for Hall, the current situation kind of hooped him.

Kudos to him for getting 8 mil, but next offseason I see zero chance of him getting more than a 5 year deal at 30 with his injury history and playing style.

Before the lockdown, he would have been looking at a 7 year (possibly 8 year if a team were willing to trade for his rights) deal at the same rate.

My guess is that COVID is going to cost him at least $10 mil in career earnings.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Unfortunately for Hall, the current situation kind of hooped him.

Kudos to him for getting 8 mil, but next offseason I see zero chance of him getting more than a 5 year deal at 30 with his injury history and playing style.

Before the lockdown, he would have been looking at a 7 year (possibly 8 year if a team were willing to trade for his rights) deal at the same rate.

My guess is that COVID is going to cost him at least $10 mil in career earnings.
Hall could only sign for a 8 year deal with Arizona even if he got his rights traded.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Next offseason is clear.
  • Throw money at Hamilton, let him know embarassing Calgary is worth its own fortune.
  • Bring Hall home, otherwise fall back on other LWs (Landeskog, Schwartz)
  • Sign a more traditional matchup center (Bozak, Cizikas, Z. Smith, Lowry, Laughton, Getzlaf).
  • Trade for a goalie from Seattle after the expansion draft (or prior to, from exposed teams).
Do we have the cap space for all of that?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You realize he can be traded to a contender, right?

He wouldn't be the first player to have a little handshake deal in place, where if the team is "X" amount of points outside of a playoff spot come deadline he gets to choose where he lands. Then you get the benefit of the money and playing for a contender, this one year deal doesn't lock him in to playing for a loser the whole season.

If Buffalo sucks, Hall gets traded at the deadline and there’s no commitment to Buffalo’s continued suckage with a long-term deal. Knowing that Hall is a UFA next summer, teams interested in him will have some ability to plan for that next season and give him long-term if they wish. I didn’t see this coming, but it kinda does make sense.

Lol, like NJ did last year?

Gotta point out that if any contender actually wanted Hall, by his own words, they could have had him.

Buffalo is desperate for a playoff appearance. I fully expect Hall to play right to the end of the season no matter how far out they are coming trade deadline. Both for a slim chance to make the playoffs and the chance to resign him moving forward.

No one is going to offer enough to Buffalo for them to move him.

What would you give Hall for a rental after his career? I would maybe trade a 3rd round pick and a C prospect at most. Better to just keep him to be able to negotiate.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Gotta point out that if any contender actually wanted Hall, by his own words, they could have had him.

Buffalo is desperate for a playoff appearance. I fully expect Hall to play right to the end of the season no matter how far out they are coming trade deadline. Both for a slim chance to make the playoffs and the chance to resign him moving forward.

What would you give Hall for a rental after his career? I would maybe trade a 3rd round pick and a C prospect at most. Better to just keep him to be able to negotiate.

If he has a good year there and Buffalo are sellers at the deadline they're getting a (low) 1st for him probably, c'mon, stop with the hyperbole.

Toffoli got a 1st last trade deadline, AA 2 2nds.

That's probably part of the appeal for Buffalo ... if it doesn't work out they basically just got a free 1st round pick for the 2021 draft.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Lol a 3rd and a C prospect. Just stop.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

NJ got a haul for Hall, or did you miss that aswell? You seem so lost and confused on everything lately.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
People shit talk Buffalo but they’re building towards being a very good team, even without Hall. They already have a franchise C and D, a young, mobile defence and some good prospects coming up. They’re weakness last season was their team defence and goaltending. They could surprise people next season.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If he has a good year there and Buffalo are sellers at the deadline they're getting a (low) 1st for him probably, c'mon, stop with the hyperbole.

Toffoli got a 1st last trade deadline, AA 2 2nds.

That's probably part of the appeal for Buffalo ... if it doesn't work out they basically just got a free 1st round pick for the 2021 draft.

Is this the first time paying $8 million for something counts as being free? ;)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
People shit talk Buffalo but they’re building towards being a very good team, even without Hall. They already have a franchise C and D, a young, mobile defence and some good prospects coming up. They’re weakness last season was their team defence and goaltending. They could surprise people next season.

Just like every other season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fun reminder this was Oilers roster as of game 2 of the season

Draisaitl McDavid Kassian
Neal RNH Chiasson
Khaira Sheahan Archibald
Nygard Hass Granlund

Klefbom Persson
Nurse Bear
Russell Benning

Smith

Larsson injured his leg in the first game of the season. Most of it is internal improvement (Yamamoto, Jones, Bear), but we are definitely better now. Who knows maybe in a few months Klefbom's shoulder will feel better again if he opts for no surgery too.

Reactions: Faelko and Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is this the first time paying $8 million for something counts as being free? ;)

They need to spend to hit the cap floor anyway, that 8 million was going to go somewhere either way most likely. Better in one place where you can get a good return than 3 lesser pieces.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Our embarrassing posters. Which ones? Don’t leave us hanging dog! It’s boring enough FA as it is

Haha it’s obvious who ones are acting like their girlfriend just dumped them. You could probably go to CP and see them posted there and them laughing at how pathetic some Oiler fans are acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad