GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2021

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
He’s gonna get the minimum.

How is 1M a bloated contract? If he even gets that much.

Not contractually, just as a player. Tired of getting "vets" who are just older players who can barely keep up with the speed of today's game. We have done this experiment COUNTLESS times and we gain small success from it. Our whole game last season was all about speed, movement and control, especially from the backend D, I don't want to trample our d with "sheltering" a slow, aging dman. I understand that our special teams was pretty bad but getting 1 d who more than likely will be blow out in a rush is not the answer. Strategy and identity is more important than just filling the roster with named players.

"But Chara can provide vet support and mentoring.." yada yada. We have 3 really good dmen who can play the top 2 and interchange with the bottom lines. Even Capital fans say that Chara while decent, is ancient and has had games that were bad. Let us save the 1mil and focus on what is important --> resigning our players. There are absolutely no d out there (In FA, barring a sensible, cap reducing/fitting trade) that will make this team a complete playoff team. There are soo many people in this forum who are waiting for another player to sign just because they are bored, they equate any type of movement as improvement or because they feel our entire season hinges on it... it's kind of sad.

IMO, No to Chara. I think we shouldn't stop looking and make a trade that makes sense going forward. Rather ice a d prospect, wait till deadline or maybe acquiring a d from waivers.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Not contractually, just as a player. Tired of getting "vets" who are just older players who can barely keep up with the speed of today's game. We have done this experiment COUNTLESS times and we gain small success from it. Our whole game last season was all about speed, movement and control, especially from the backend D, I don't want to trample our d with "sheltering" a slow, aging dman. I understand that our special teams was pretty bad but getting 1 d who more than likely will be blow out in a rush is not the answer. Strategy and identity is more important than just filling the roster with named players.

"But Chara can provide vet support and mentoring.." yada yada. We have 3 really good dmen who can play the top 2 and interchange with the bottom lines. Even Capital fans say that Chara while decent, is ancient and has had games that were bad. Let us save the 1mil and focus on what is important --> resigning our players. There are absolutely no d out there (In FA, barring a sensible, cap reducing/fitting trade) that will make this team a complete playoff team. There are soo many people in this forum who are waiting for another player to sign just because they are bored, they equate any type of movement as improvement or because they feel our entire season hinges on it... it's kind of sad.

IMO, No to Chara. I think we shouldn't stop looking and make a trade that makes sense going forward. Rather ice a d prospect, wait till deadline or maybe acquiring a d from waivers.
No arguments there. I don’t agree with the fit either.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

I see your points about a "retirement" swing for Chara coming down to Florida but this isn't Gary Roberts or Joe Nieuwendyk stopping by for a hot minute.

Chara is one of the most respected players in the league and is still a valuable bottom pairing defenseman. He played 55 games for one of the best teams in the league last year logging over 18 minutes of ice time a game.....

I guess you're forgetting last season really quickly. This team was dummied in front of their own net countless times. It was by far our biggest weakness last season. The inability to clear players in front of our own net or even tie them up was why we lost to Tampa Bay in 6 games. We literally suck f***ing dogshit in front of our net. Tampa laughed their way through easy tap in goals all series long as we cried in Bobrovsky.

Chara is still one of the best at clearing the crease area and yes, he actually would add value and teach our younger players a skill that this team is severely lacking.

I know we can be a bit choosy after some success (which I don't even consider a success because they still got bounced in the first round as is Panthers tradition) but Zdeno is no slouch.

Chara helps this team and makes this team better immediately. He'd also be on a short term deal for little money, something we also need. Chara is the perfect fit for this group and I'll chalk up you failing to see that as some leftover baggage from previous regimes.

On top of everything he's a left handed shot, something we have exactly two of on our back line and Nuutivara still hasn't shown he can hang as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: harv33173

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
I see your points about a "retirement" swing for Chara coming down to Florida but this isn't Gary Roberts or Joe Nieuwendyk stopping by for a hot minute.

Chara is one of the most respected players in the league and is still a valuable bottom pairing defenseman. He played 55 games for one of the best teams in the league last year logging over 18 minutes of ice time a game.....

I guess you're forgetting last season really quickly. This team was dummied in front of their own net countless times. It was by far our biggest weakness last season. The inability to clear players in front of our own net or even tie them up was why we lost to Tampa Bay in 6 games. We literally suck f***ing dogshit in front of our net. Tampa laughed their way through easy tap in goals all series long as we cried in Bobrovsky.

Chara is still one of the best at clearing the crease area and yes, he actually would add value and teach our younger players a skill that this team is severely lacking.

I know we can be a bit choosy after some success (which I don't even consider a success because they still got bounced in the first round as is Panthers tradition) but Zdeno is no slouch.

Chara helps this team and makes this team better immediately. He'd also be on a short term deal for little money, something we also need. Chara is the perfect fit for this group and I'll chalk up you failing to see that as some leftover baggage from previous regimes.

On top of everything he's a left handed shot, something we have exactly two of on our back line and Nuutivara still hasn't shown he can hang as far as I'm concerned.

Hahaha what? Thanks, I guess? I'll do ..uhh better?

I understand your points as they do make sense and I agree we should have that taken care of. We do lack that driving force with clearing bodies out of the net but I still stand behind the fact we are going to be icing a slow pylon..I would like to add this is one of the driving forces that had us move Yandle (despite the fact he was a softie to)..Not every D-line is going to have a the perfect mixture and I'd rather play to our strengths and patch up the holes with smarter acquisitions, not desperate maybes. To me, signing Chara puts another burden on us team wise we don't need. If Chara was this great bottom 6 player a bunch of teams would have signed him already.

As to the previous holes in our D and the situation you mentioned--> What about the forwards here? No block shots (Dead last in the Nhl btw) ? Tighter defense? Clogging of passing/shooting lanes? What about maintaining puck possession? Or having our PK forward group stop collapsing in the middle of the net, waiting for a miracle? What about goaltending? Could we get 1 or 2 game changing saves? How about the fact we played with no Ekblad, the most improved and best D player we have? Tying up player's sticks to reduce tip goals is not something specific to player's like Chara, why couldn't we make this apparent with our defensive coaching adjustments? It seems with Chara you plug one hole to expose a series of other holes. I am just not buying it. The only thing Chara has IMO is his stick checking, block shot and his net clearing. He has no speed or mobility to keep up, which hinders our greatest strength. If you want, post a thread on the Capital boards inquiring about Chara and his effort. I would be interested to see what their opinions are. After crawling through their threads a bit it highlights everything we spoke about, fierce player but slow and aged.

At the end of the day, if we signed Reinhart and are done with trades.. and we had 1mil in the bank to burn.. sure go for it.. but I don't think it's worth it at all. I'm done with the retirement plan strategy.

Last edited:

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
I see all points given, but if we can get him for $1M or less then do it. He doesn’t have to always play and the effect on our D will be great.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
I see all points given, but if we can get him for $1M or less then do it. He doesn’t have to always play and the effect on our D will be great.

Eh I am just afraid Q will try to utilize him in every way. Eh, can't complain too much if he plays him occasionally.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Zadorov not helping to keep Barkov’s contract down. Somebody on a Calgary board translated a YouTube interview the whole thing is interesting but it shows how other players respect Barkov.

[Trade] Flames acquire rights to Nikita Zadorov for 3rd acquired in Rittich trade - Page 28 - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Barkov talk, why do you think he is a top 3 center in the league?
o He plays for 24 mins/game.
o He takes all the faceoffs in his own and the opponent’s zone.
o He plays the first PP, first PK
o Plays against the top players on the other team and still manages to get 80 points a season.
o He does everything well
o McDavid for example doesn’t play the PK, makes mistakes defensively and so on.
o Talked to Barkov’s Defensemen in Florida, they say he’s always in position, so they have nothing to worry about.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Zadorov not helping to keep Barkov’s contract down. Somebody on a Calgary board translated a YouTube interview the whole thing is interesting but it shows how other players respect Barkov.

[Trade] Flames acquire rights to Nikita Zadorov for 3rd acquired in Rittich trade - Page 28 - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

o Plays against the top players on the other team and still manages to get 80 points a season.
o McDavid for example doesn’t play the PK, makes mistakes defensively and so on.
o Talked to Barkov’s Defensemen in Florida, they say he’s always in position, so they have nothing to worry about.
Yeah I guess it might affect the contract money in some manner but I don’t think anything that’s stated there isn’t and hasn’t been known for a while in hockey circles. Everyone has noticed that Barky’s a beast and keeps improving. Already 2-3 years ago Crosby said that Barky is maybe the toughest forward to play against.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

I mean Zadorov is not wrong. I always find it funny when fans are saying Barkov was so underrated, hes overrated because it is quite clear only Florida fans understand how truly good he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad