GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2018

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I could see them doing it to Marner. Honestly though the Leafs didn’t do anything wrong to the Isles. But maybe Lou isn’t happy with how things went down.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I could see them doing it to Marner. Honestly though the Leafs didn’t do anything wrong to the Isles. But maybe Lou isn’t happy with how things went down.
And there's nothing "wrong" with an offer sheet, either.

But a UFA like Tavares going from the Islanders to the Leafs for nothing is a massive unbalancing of league power. It almost feels like it's not supposed to happen. So trying to swing it back the other way would be smart.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
And there's nothing "wrong" with an offer sheet, either.

But a UFA like Tavares going from the Islanders to the Leafs for nothing is a massive unbalancing of league power. It almost feels like it's not supposed to happen. So trying to swing it back the other way would be smart.

The Islanders did it to themselves. They moved the team to the Barclay's Center. They then refused to resign players that meshed well with Tavares. Then couple in some abysmal drafting other than Barzal and you have a recipe for disaster. Throw in all the coaching changes and you have a holy mess.

Then in the 11th hour you hire Lou and Trotz and expect John to show faith in an organization that has been going nowhere for 8 years. Get your cup John.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Offersheets don't work like they're supposed to. But what this might do is give Marner, Nylander, and Matthews leverage to get a little more in their negotiations. And it might put pressure on the Leafs to get a deal done faster (and therefore move closer to the players side) and thus "overpay".

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

The full article mentions that the team has has been good off and on. This rules out Vancouver, and edmonton has only been "on" once. I can't see winnipeg going after him.

Honestly, it sounds like Calgary. But why would the flames target a bottom 6 LW?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The full article mentions that the team has has been good off and on. This rules out Vancouver, and edmonton has only been "on" once. I can't see winnipeg going after him.

Honestly, it sounds like Calgary. But why would the flames target a bottom 6 LW?
On and off can be just 2-3 years, it makes no sense for us to acquire a LW that doesn't skate as well as he used to. It's pretty obviously the Oilers.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

In what way does it sound like Calgary? A team built with a solid defence that doesn't have any interest in left-wingers.

Edmonton has been good off and on over the last few years. They need wingers on both sides. They would be interested in Kunitz, and they have a shoddy defence. No reason to look past that.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Edmonton made it to 2nd round and then ended up a lottery team again. It’s them, I have little doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad