GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2018

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In about a minute, it'll be more or less official that Tavares is moving on from the Islanders.
Is it 12am or 12pm on July 1st that 8 years goes out the window?

I actually heard an interesting take on NHL radio trying to find silver linings for the Isles if this did indeed happen.

Basically, the Islanders have recently fully stocked their cupboards, and JT's departure would allow them to remain patient and allow that very nice prospect depth to come to fruition. If Tavares stays, they'll be incentivized to cut corners in an attempt to reward him with a window of contention immediately. Perhaps a step back could be a long-term step forward with them.

Obviously, on the surface, there is no real chance that you can say that losing a premiere talent is better than retaining him, but it's an interesting POV all the same.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, which recent free agent signings, aside from reclamation projects, have paid off in recent years?

It seems like if you aren't snagging an Eric Staal and hitting the jackpot, you aren't going to like the deal even after year 1.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
12am apparently

And had they traded Tavares last summer, they would have gotten a whole pile of more futures to go kick start the upcoming rebuild. Of course, maybe he strung them along or maybe they horribly misjudged. Who knows.

Marchessault? Don't think he counts as a reclamation project.

Personally, I'd say Lucic has paid off big time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Is it 12am or 12pm on July 1st that 8 years goes out the window?

I actually heard an interesting take on NHL radio trying to find silver linings for the Isles if this did indeed happen.

Basically, the Islanders have recently fully stocked their cupboards, and JT's departure would allow them to remain patient and allow that very nice prospect depth to come to fruition. If Tavares stays, they'll be incentivized to cut corners in an attempt to reward him with a window of contention immediately. Perhaps a step back could be a long-term step forward with them.

Obviously, on the surface, there is no real chance that you can say that losing a premiere talent is better than retaining him, but it's an interesting POV all the same.
Just so things aren't confusing I'm going to use 11:59 pm as the deadline. If he wants to sign with his current team and get a 8 year deal, he has to sign by 11:59 pm tonight. As of midnight this evening he becomes a free agent and NYI can no longer offer him an 8 year contract.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
12am apparently

And had they traded Tavares last summer, they would have gotten a whole pile of more futures to go kick start the upcoming rebuild. Of course, maybe he strung them along or maybe they horribly misjudged. Who knows.

Marchessault? Don't think he counts as a reclamation project.

Personally, I'd say Lucic has paid off big time.
Okay, so two categories of players to shoot for are guys coming off down seasons (perhaps multiple) whose value reflects that, and guys who haven't broken out yet.

Well, and guys who are so far down the UFA pecking order that there is as much fear for them not getting a contract as there is for the team not getting their guy.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Neal, Rieder, Ryan, Maroon <--- guys who have been mentioned that the Flames are interested in/kicked tires on so far. Possibly Perron too?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Not sure how to embed tweets, but from Frank Seravelli:

"Expect centre Derek Ryan to sign a three-year deal with the #Flames on Sunday. He left money on the table to reunite with Bill Peters after 20 #NHL teams expressed interest."

Just be under $2.5 mil (even though it shouldn't be anywhere near that high realistically) please.

Edit: super posted it in the armchair GM thread, which are we using for this stuff so everything isn't posted twice. I wasn't sure so I put it here.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not sure how to embed tweets, but from Frank Seravelli:

"Expect centre Derek Ryan to sign a three-year deal with the #Flames on Sunday. He left money on the table to reunite with Bill Peters after 20 #NHL teams expressed interest."

Just be under $2.5 mil (even though it shouldn't be anywhere near that high realistically) please.

Edit: super posted it in the armchair GM thread, which are we using for this stuff so everything isn't posted twice. I wasn't sure so I put it here.

I'm hoping for around 2.5 million as well. Also, just copy and paste the link to the tweet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
After spending time in Edmonton, I have my doubts Perron will come back to Alberta

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm just relieved we didn't get in on any of the high-profile wingers who are about to sign their retirement contracts turn quickly into anchors.

There is only so much damage a 3-year deal can do. Signing a long-term deal for some of the other top names had the capacity to be far more ruinous to our contention window.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm just relieved we didn't get in on any of the high-profile wingers who are about to sign their retirement contracts turn quickly into anchors.

There is only so much damage a 3-year deal can do. Signing a long-term deal for some of the other top names had the capacity to be far more ruinous to our contention window.

To be fair, signing someone like JVR would have likely opened out contention window. Right now, I'm not sure you can say Calgary's got a cup window at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->