Free Agency thread part II

What UFA most likely signs with the habs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Instead of Panarin and Duchene (who will cost a lot of $$$), maybe focus on Karlsson from Vegas.

The problem now with Hayes signing for 7+, every free agent (RFA or UFA) will be looking to make bank.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
At some point, the whole UFA vs RFA thing, got thrown out the window.................a few years ago, the GM's made the RFA's wait for their money, and then poof, the Oilers seemed to be the first to the RFA party, and started giving RFA's the UFA's money......and now it's a clusterf%^& of salary issues all over the league.

Any news on Armia or Leks??

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm off the Edler bandwagon. Ray Ferraro convinced me.

He was on 690 this afternoon and gave a sobering account.

Said that he's often injured and always leaves you wanting.

Just when you think he can deliver more, he doesn't.

He's a top 4, not a top 2.

Also, he said beware of the third contract year -- it's the one that's going to produce a Marleau effect -- the type of unwanted, irritating third year where you're stuck with him.

There was more but can't remember.

Doesn't sound like someone to throw major money at.

Plus, his demand for an NTC seals the deal. On to someone else.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
With that attitude of doing nothing because "we're not 1 player away", when exactly are we supposed to be at the point where we're "1 player away"?

I’m not saying you do nothing i’m saying that the cap space would be put to better use in trades vs. signing one UFA. Duchesne isn’t putting us over the top and it going to screw us long term. We should not do any move only thinking short term when we are not contenders and we should make move just to make move...

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Last year was a right off, injuring his knee in he pre season and being out 5 months. If he got a shot at playing on a cup contender maybe he could get back to the 50 points he had the previous year. He'd be worth a look for sure

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Cammalleri and Gionta were great contracts. Aside from their great production, we don't make it to the conference finals without them. Sure the last year of Gionta's contract wasn't great, and Cammalleri's last year here wasn't spectacular. But in both cases, 1 mediocre year doesn't erase all their previous contributions. It's too bad people only remember the last impression sometimes.

Their contracts are part of the reason I'm OK with paying top dollar to a quality offensive 27-30 year old UFA. It would only help us to add offense in the top 9.

My god, talk about collective amnesia...

Gionta :
46pts
46pts
15pts
26pts
40pts

Worthy of 5mil a year (equal to 7mil today) hahahahaha

Cammalleri :
50pts
47pts
22pts

Worthy of 6mil a year (equal to 8,6 today) hahahahaha

Really one good run in the playoffs (and sucked all others) and somehow these awful contracts are turned into great ones...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Cammalleri was one of my favorite players pre-Habs and while he was here but at the end of the day he ended up bombing here, it did not work out at all.

Gionta was always super overpaid. Worked hard, great attitude, etc... but he was overpaid and after his arms turned into wet spaghetti it was even worse.

Reactions: Redux91

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My god, talk about collective amnesia...

Gionta :
46pts
46pts
15pts
26pts
40pts

Worthy of 5mil a year (equal to 7mil today) hahahahaha

Cammalleri :
50pts
47pts
22pts

Worthy of 6mil a year (equal to 8,6 today) hahahahaha

Really one good run in the playoffs (and sucked all others) and somehow these awful contracts are turned into great ones...

lol, Gionta and Cammalleri are goal scorers that were also playoff performers. Totally biased way to attempt to discredit them: post their regular season point totals, without taking into account their goal totals, playoff totals, injuries and best of all that one of those years was a lockout shortened season. Here are their real totals in Montreal.

Gionta
In his first season in Montreal, Gionta was on a 37 goal pace, but missed 20 games. When healthy for the full playoffs, he was on a 39 goal pace. His worst year was the dreaded last year of the contract and he still had 18 goals and 40 points.

2009-10Montreal CanadiensNHL6128184626319961514
2010-11Montreal CanadiensNHL8229174624373250
2011-12Montreal CanadiensNHL31871516-7----------
2012-13Montreal CanadiensNHL481412268320110
2013-14Montreal CanadiensNHL81182240221171672
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Cammalleri

2009-10Montreal CanadiensNHL6526245016719136196
2010-11Montreal CanadiensNHL67192847332737100
2011-12Montreal CanadiensNHL389132210-6----------
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And ask yourself: what were the alternatives to these contracts? Who else wanted to come here? It's not like we could just have any player fall from the sky and we go to the conference finals...

Reactions: Captain Mountain

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Cammalleri was one of my favorite players pre-Habs and while he was here but at the end of the day he ended up bombing here, it did not work out at all.

Gionta was always super overpaid. Worked hard, great attitude, etc... but he was overpaid and after his arms turned into wet spaghetti it was even worse.

yeah that playoff run to the conference finals where Gionta scored at a 39 goal pace and Cammalleri a 56 goal pace - in a low scoring league - were horrible. But everyone knows that run was all Halak... And the regular season is when the hockey really matters anyways... Oh wait Gionta scored at an average of 26 goals per 82 games in his 5 seasons here, despite ending his contract at 35 years of age. And Cammalleri was a playoff beast: 16 goals and 29 points in 26 games...

If you want to get this kind of offensive production without giving up assets in a trade you have to pay up. It's why Radulov was easily worth 8 million AAV. But people like Bergevin publicly laughed at him for asking for his worth.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

You're way too demanding of players if you think Cammalleri bombed in Montreal and that Gionta was super overpaid.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
yeah that playoff run to the conference finals where Gionta scored at a 39 goal pace and Cammalleri a 56 goal pace - in a low scoring league - were horrible. But everyone knows that run was all Halak... And the regular season is when the hockey really matters anyways... Oh wait Gionta scored at an average of 26 goals per 82 games in his 5 seasons here, despite ending his contract at 35 years of age. And Cammalleri was a playoff beast: 16 goals and 29 points in 26 games...

If you want to get this kind of offensive production without giving up assets in a trade you have to pay up. It's why Radulov was easily worth 8 million AAV. But people like Bergevin publicly laughed at him for asking for his worth.

I don't care about scoring pace, I care about what they did. Staying healthy is part of the game.

I'm well aware you need to pay to get people to sign, but that doesn't mean they aren't overpaid.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
MD is my choice, take the pressure off KK and Phillip D and Domi for centre,
Thing is...are you going to pay Duchene 9.5M-10M, only to then play him behind Danault in important situations?

If you commit to that kind of money with Duchene, then there needs to be a change in philosophy from the coaching staff on how they deploy their players.

Paying Duchen 10M to play 16 mins a game...not sure that's a smart use of money.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Gomer and Gionta, bad contracts and bad trades

Gomez was an awful trade and a worse contract.

Gionta was great. Even looking past his leadership, his first two seasons were first line production, top-30 goal scoring rates and good two-way play. Even as he got older, he still produced at easily a top-6 level playing tough minutes. Odds are you aren't going to get better than that from any UFA available.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't care about scoring pace, I care about what they did. Staying healthy is part of the game.

I'm well aware you need to pay to get people to sign, but that doesn't mean they aren't overpaid.

Cammalleri was healthy for the playoffs. Gionta missed one year and one playoff with injury. Other than that, he may have missed 20 games his first year, but he was healthy for the playoffs and came up huge that year.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Cammalleri was healthy for the playoffs. Gionta missed one year and one playoff with injury. Other than that, he may have missed 20 games his first year, but he was healthy for the playoffs and came up huge that year.

Look at it in perspective. Today's money, Gionta's contract would be for over $7mil. Would you pay that much for a 45 point player?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Thing is...are you going to pay Duchene 9.5M-10M, only to then play him behind Danault in important situations?

If you commit to that kind of money with Duchene, then there needs to be a change in philosophy from the coaching staff on how they deploy their players.

Paying Duchen 10M to play 16 mins a game...not sure that's a smart use of money.

Whatever maximizes his impact on the ice. He’ll make those minutes up on the PP which is somewhere Phil ended up playing because the Habs can’t win faceoffs.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Look at it in perspective. Today's money, Gionta's contract would be for over $7mil. Would you pay that much for a 45 point player?

Gionta was worth that and more his first two years. He's a goal scorer. Calling him by his points is just dishonest. The problem with a lot of people is they're quoting salaries "5 million" dollar player using the old cap without considering the new cap. His contract should have been more like 7 million, 7 million, 5 million, 3 million, 3 million. Injuries happen. Did we get our money's worth the year he was injured? No. Did we get our money's worth all those years Markov was injured? No. It is what it is.

Again what was the alternative? Washed up Koivu, Kovalev, or Tanguay? Without Gionta, we don't go to the conference finals. None of those players put up numbers close to what Gionta put up and Kovalev was paid more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad