Free Agency Rules: Post Questions Here

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well, I could really weigh in on this one for quite some time in terms of the subjective opinions that start to enter to foray when making evaluations on what teams to sign with - and specifically, signing with a team where GM's have treated their players badly - but bottom line in this situation is there is no clear-cut #1 in Phoenix really, and all the players were offered significantly more to play there. Will they end up staying there? Who knows, but a player like Burke wasn't exactly being pursued by a lot of teams, and those teams that did make offers didn't provide any substantial narrative on why Burke should sign with them. In the case of Belfour, the money wasn't even close from anyone else.

But to give you another specific example of how Reggie needs to be careful of being too subjective when evaluating bids, Tampa signed one of the top UFA d-men last year to a long-term deal - Phillippe Boucher. He made a commitment to play in Florida for that period, but Tampa promptly traded him. Should other UFA's be wary about signing in Tampa going forward because of the way they treated Boucher? I should hazard a guess yes, but Reggie has restrained himself from letting this from being part of the decision process.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Maybe Reggie should put a clause of one way contract on players with certain number of years experience with NHL.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
The problem with clauses like that is they are a ***** to handle. The simming process already consumes much of Drew's time, having to check every roster submission every day to make sure a player on a 1-way isn't sent to the minors would be a lot to ask.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Well, I could really weigh in on this one for quite some time in terms of the subjective opinions that start to enter to foray when making evaluations on what teams to sign with - and specifically, signing with a team where GM's have treated their players badly - but bottom line in this situation is there is no clear-cut #1 in Phoenix really, and all the players were offered significantly more to play there. Will they end up staying there? Who knows, but a player like Burke wasn't exactly being pursued by a lot of teams, and those teams that did make offers didn't provide any substantial narrative on why Burke should sign with them. In the case of Belfour, the money wasn't even close from anyone else.

But to give you another specific example of how Reggie needs to be careful of being too subjective when evaluating bids, Tampa signed one of the top UFA d-men last year to a long-term deal - Phillippe Boucher. He made a commitment to play in Florida for that period, but Tampa promptly traded him. Should other UFA's be wary about signing in Tampa going forward because of the way they treated Boucher? I should hazard a guess yes, but Reggie has restrained himself from letting this from being part of the decision process.

I specifically remember that this was mentioned last summer when Boucher (and maybe others?) was traded without ever playing for the team that signed him as a UFA. There is no rule against it, but its tough to justify commiting to sign (if there are similar offers on the table from other teams) when you could be traded away before ever suiting up for that team.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Trading away players is not an issue. But signing vetern players and placing them on minor league roster with 10% of salary is an issue. I am sure many teams would and are willing to pay major league salary to a player that is sitting in some minor league team after signing UFA contract.

One way to monitor this is by forcing teams to place the players on major league roster for the 1st five games and than a waiver process would take care of the rest.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Trading away players is not an issue. But signing vetern players and placing them on minor league roster with 10% of salary is an issue. I am sure many teams would and are willing to pay major league salary to a player that is sitting in some minor league team after signing UFA contract.

One way to monitor this is by forcing teams to place the players on major league roster for the 1st five games and than a waiver process would take care of the rest.

One thing to remember also is that even though people don't like the way teams have been putting players with large contracts in the minors, that happens in the NHL too, so its not very unrealistic. See the Rangers with Darius Kaspariatis. There are more instances too, I just can't think of them off the top of my head. The reasoning is a little different - cap reasons versus other financial reasons - but it happens.

If a team has an overpayed but decent rated player on their minor roster, they could always look to move them for next to nothing... if nobody wants them for practically free then they belong on the minor league roster.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
One thing to remember also is that even though people don't like the way teams have been putting players with large contracts in the minors, that happens in the NHL too, so its not very unrealistic. See the Rangers with Darius Kaspariatis. There are more instances too, I just can't think of them off the top of my head. The reasoning is a little different - cap reasons versus other financial reasons - but it happens.

If a team has an overpayed but decent rated player on their minor roster, they could always look to move them for next to nothing... if nobody wants them for practically free then they belong on the minor league roster.

I am sure Darius went through a waiver process and is paid 100% of his contract. Unfotunately, our waiver process doesn't trigger until a player has played 5 games with HFNHL and all our minor league players are paid 10% of the salary.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Yes he did pass through waivers, but if there is a team out there that would claim a player through the waiver process, surely there would be a team that would be willing to negotiate a trade for that player.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Is money all that matters when a free agent choose a team in our league? I just looked on the rosters and found out that Phoenix Coyotes has 7(Yes seven) goalies rated 68 or higher. Gerber, Burke, Belfour, Theodore, Thibault, Leighton and Lenevue. This must be the best goalie team ever in sports history :)

The Eddie Belfour signing might be very smart since if Eddie the eagle will be rated higher then Jose Thedore, Jose is no longer counted to the salary cap. Eddie might play in Sweden next season though.

Looks like the goalie situation solved itself in a way.. Thibault was traded away, Belfour went to Sweden and now Burke retired. So looks like Phoenix is back to the Gerber-Theodore tandem again..

Default101

Originally Posted by Tampa GM
Is money all that matters when a free agent choose a team in our league? I just looked on the rosters and found out that Phoenix Coyotes has 7(Yes seven) goalies rated 68 or higher. Gerber, Burke, Belfour, Theodore, Thibault, Leighton and Lenevue. This must be the best goalie team ever in sports history

The Eddie Belfour signing might be very smart since if Eddie the eagle will be rated higher then Jose Thedore, Jose is no longer counted to the salary cap. Eddie might play in Sweden next season though.

Yes, would Sean Burke really have signed with Phoenix to be the starter for the ECHL affiliate, or would Leighton have signed to be the starter for the farmteam of the ECHL team? Most likely not, even if there were other offers on the table. Even less likely if there were offers from other teams to become a backup or a 3rd goalie.

I think i can cut into this and give a first point perspective on this, The reason why Phoenix was at the point of 7 goaltenders was for a reason, first off i think Belfour (78OV) when he was there i believe... would have been worth 1M for 1 season, i was suprised that no one offered more, i offered 1year 1M to Joseph and Belfour it really is a rental type player and may have erased the cap loss to Theodore.

Belfour - Was brought in to be the starter for the 07-08, good value for possibly a top 20 goaltender at 1M i believe
Gerber - I have him for a few more years, and picked him up when i had only dunham and thibault in the system, he was a waiver pick up, and came through huge, also i realized after signing the goalies i had that i should keep gerber atleast untill i get a relyable starter that would be here for a few years, becasue it would have been down to burke and leneveu.
Burke - I was flipping through the a vailable players left when i realized i wasn't going to get one of the top netminders, and burke seemed like a fair value as a temporary abck-up solution, since at the time i was planning on sending gerber through waivers at the start of the season if i couldn't deal him.
Theodore - Who to me is a waste of space, i took on his contract in order to get a bigger deal done, myself taking his contract on was actually part of the deal, so now unless i can sell him off or waive him, he'll beh ere till the end of the season, if he does clear waivers and ends up having a good season via injury or trade he may become a small wagering tool since the team would be able to sign him before he became a ufa, but if he bombs this year i can see him spending his season on the farm.
Leighton - I just like the guy, he is basically looking at bench/farm work, but i think he has the potential to really become somewhat of a starting goaltender one day, he's got the tools he just needs the consistancy and experience
Thibault - another player that was put in my lap when i started here, was looking for a way to move him, and montreal's goaltending situation gave me a chance to move him, and for him to atleast at the time be the back-up in montreal.
LeNeveu - I like the guy, and when i came here it was clear i needed an NHL ready goaltending prospect, but that hasn't panned out thus far, LeNeveu certainly has some great potential IMO a step or two behind DiPietro or Miller somewhere along the lines of those 2, but it has seeemed alot more likely now rather than 2 years ago that he won't reach that type of potential, but i'm optimistic beacsue the potential for success is certainly still there.

In reading this i'm sure you see there is a method to my madness here, 7 nhl capable goaltenders is a bit strange, but a year from now only 4 of those goalies would be here, and only 2 would have been legitimate at the time unless leighton or leneveu have solid seasons, however with the retirement of Burke and Belfour going to sweden my team is down it's top 2/3 goaltenders and as it looks right now Theo will be in the minors untill further notice, as will Leneveu; Gerber is being named the Coyotes starter for the 07-08 season unless Belfour can get a NA contract or Burke comes out of retirement (and even then they may not take Gerber's place) and Leighton is being designated the back-up unless he really struggles at which time i'd be looking at Theodore or LeNeveu to come in. Remember 12 months ago this team was a mess, and i'm really going through trial and error on what is the best way of fixing this and turning Phoenix back into a solid respectable franchise in the HFNHL, and coming back up from rock bottom ususally takes it's time, most teams that hit there, have some huge prospects to lean on, and as of right now the only carrying prospects could be Kessel, Tlusty, Blum and Vishnievskiy, so we'll see how the next year goes, and what can happen which is also why i'm open to trading anyone, if i can gain somehting that i believe will help the development of the Coyotes and better benefit the franchise in the end, i will take it even if it does mean a have to part with an asset.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Will 8.0M$ still be our max salary or will we increase this? Both Ovechkin and Crosby has signed bigger contracts in the real league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->