GDT: Free Agency - Oct 9th - 11:00am CT

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
That's a bad term for Gallagher, IMO..
Bad term but great cap hit. And the end of the contract dips, which reduces some of the risk of the term.

And it’s more accurate to say the term is just market reality. Heck, it’s better than 7 or 8 years that most superstars would get. Certainly not great for his age and will likely be rough for his style/build, but it’s a price if doing business when signing stars.

What really bites you is when you give that term to aging, slow, good not great, banged up defensemen.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah it does. Regula doubled as a forward for London just like Byfuglien did for the Hawks. He's a swiss army knife just like Buff.

That's why Regula scored 27 goals as a "defenseman"
He is nothing like Buff, play style wise. I know how he scored his goals in the OHL, doesnt make him Buff.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He is nothing like Buff, play style wise. I know how he scored his goals in the OHL, doesnt make him Buff.
That's not my opinion. I suggest you listen to the Madhouse draft preview episode, where the head prospect guy for McKeen's called him "Byfuglien lite" and had him as the Hawks #2 prospect pre draft.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
That's not my opinion. I suggest you listen to the Madhouse draft preview episode, where the head prospect guy for McKeen's called him "Byfuglien lite" and had him as the Hawks #2 prospect pre draft.
Nobody should trust a scout who a month ago had our 2nd best prospect be Alec Regula.

Either he's insane, can see the future, or our farm system consists of two real prospects and a bunch of ECHLers. Only the crystal ball option is any good for us.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Yeah it does. Regula doubled as a forward for London just like Byfuglien did for the Hawks. He's a swiss army knife just like Buff.

That's why Regula scored 27 goals as a "defenseman"
To my knowledge he did not play forward. He played the bumper position on the power play and scored 15 of his 27 goals on the man advantage. You can try to call that playing forward, but it really isn’t. Would you call a 4th forward on a PP unit “playing defense”? Buff actually played forward on 5 on 5 for like seasons.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
To my knowledge he did not play forward. He played the bumper position on the power play and scored 15 of his 27 goals on the man advantage. You can try to call that playing forward, but it really isn’t. Would you call a 4th forward on a PP unit “playing defense”? Buff actually played forward on 5 on 5 for like seasons.
I understand this, but that's how it starts, no? IIRC that's what the Sharks did with Burns at first when they switched him back and forth between F and D.

I'm not saying that the comparison is completely valid, just that it was made and this guy is super high on Regula.

I mean I expect the same type of profile out of Regula as I expected from Jokiharju. A likely bottom pairing D with a chance to become a #4.
I like Regula better than Jokiharju because he's shown some extra versatility, 6-4 and could potentially bring a physical element that Jokiharju didn't(I admittedly haven't seen him much, so idk if he uses his body or not) My opinion is based solely of scouting reports etc.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I dont need some one elses opinion on him, I've seen him plenty. He is nothing like Buff in any way, other than he is a big D man.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
He is better than TvR. Better offensively, and defensively, younger with a higher ceiling.

Neither are good offensively. Period. I don’t see Joker developing much more of an offensive game and it’s hard to imagine him ever being on a team where he’s seeing significant PP time.

I certainly wouldn’t say he’s better defensively either. They’re about the same except TvR was a much better shot blocker and better defender with his stick.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Neither are good offensively. Period. I don’t see Joker developing much more of an offensive game and it’s hard to imagine him ever being on a team where he’s seeing significant PP time.

I certainly wouldn’t say he’s better defensively either. They’re about the same except TvR was a much better shot blocker and better defender with his stick.
I disagree, Jokiharju is better at moving the puck up ice, and has a better shot from the point. I don't see him as a top offensive Dman either, but he is definitely a better offensive Dman than TvR. And that's fine you think that, I personally think he is better all around than TvR already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad