GDT: Free Agency - Oct 9th - 11:00am CT

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
4 pro seasons played and never scored more than 35 points...even at AHL level he got outscored by a dozen of random teammates every season. For a player who offers nothing in other areas, 35 points are nowhere near enough. He was also brutal in every single playoff game he played. 11 games, 0 points, -5. He doesn't even try to make it look as if he'd care. This season is his last chance. If he fails to prove that he can score at pro level then I think his NHL career is over before it started.
He's played 84 games in the NHL...he is 22. A lot of players don't hit their stride before then, and especially with only a season of NHL experience. AHL prowess isn't the same at all. The top scorers in the AHL are typically AHL lifers that never get a call up to the NHL anyways. Not the same beast.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I said it at the time, RE: Nylander. Taking a shot on Nylander is fine, I even supported acquiring him or Puljujarvi last year. They paid too much, even if Jokiharju only has the ceiling of a #4-5. The huge issue is that you took a probable NHL contributor on an ELC and traded him for a lottery ticket. I understand why they did it. It was going to be hard to keep Jokiharju come expansion draft time. The acquisition was fine, the price wasn't.
I don't disagree with you at all. The price was high for sure and I think the expansion draft had a lot to do with it. We are sitting pretty well for that draft now and I don't think will lose anyone that we can't replace.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
He has been shit in every destination and was embarrassingly bad in playoffs

Sabres robbed Stanley in trade that was indefensible at time and will only get worse going forward
Haha yeah, obviously he has been so horrible everywhere that he went 7th overall in the draft and has gone over 0.5 points per game in his time in the AHL. Obviously he is abysmal at hockey and he'll never get better than he is now at 22 years old... Is all of your life this miserable or is it just online?

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Cowch

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Who cares about the expansion draft? We’re going to lose some extremely replaceable bottom 6 forward or bottom pairing D. I don’t understand the panic.

And if Bowman traded away Jokiharju two full seasons before the draft even happened, then that’s idiotic and incredibly poor management of assets.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Who cares about the expansion draft? We’re going to lose some extremely replaceable bottom 6 forward or bottom pairing D. I don’t understand the panic.

And if Bowman traded away Jokiharju two full seasons before the draft even happened, then that’s idiotic and incredibly poormanagement of assets.
Murphy, Zadorov, or CDH are extremely replaceable? Then why haven't they added these replaceable players more often the last 5 years especially when the D needed it.

They're going to likely lose a strong defensively solid D when they have few bodies who can do that. Thats setting up for bad value especially if you can get value of the player instead of losing them for nothing.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He's played 84 games in the NHL...he is 22. A lot of players don't hit their stride before then, and especially with only a season of NHL experience. AHL prowess isn't the same at all. The top scorers in the AHL are typically AHL lifers that never get a call up to the NHL anyways. Not the same beast.

Hockey is hockey no matter what the league however I do agree that the occasional player who doesn't look that great in the AHL can sometimes come to the NHL and excel but Nylander has been unable to breakthrough. He doesn't have the work ethic for one. No question that he is on thin ice in Chicago. I'm willing to give him some more time but I don't have much confidence that he can turn things around.

Reactions: Pertti

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Murphy, Zadorov, or CDH are extremely replaceable? Then why haven't they added these replaceable players more often the last 5 years especially when the D needed it.

They're going to likely lose a strong defensively solid D when they have few bodies who can do that. Thats setting up for bad value especially if you can get value of the player instead of losing them for nothing.

Murphy and CdH are solid #4’s with CdH having injury issues. Zadorov has been called a bottom pairing D by seemingly half of this board just a few days ago. I’ve always liked him in Colorado and think he’ll be a good #4 guy as well.

We will lose one of them. Ok. It’s why it’s important to draft well. All 31 teams need to sacrifice a player for the betterment of the league.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Murphy and CdH are solid #4’s with CdH having injury issues. Zadorov has been called a bottom pairing D by seemingly half of this board just a few days ago. I’ve always liked him in Colorado and think he’ll be a good #4 guy as well.

We will lose one of them. Ok. It’s why it’s important to draft well. All 31 teams need to sacrifice a player for the betterment of the league.
And you can be smart about it or dumb about it leading into it. Smarter teams were prepared for it last time and should be more aware this time.

The Hawks last time were able to use it to their advantage and remove a overpaid Kruger for a 3rd pair D. Using it to your advantage is certainly better off than just saying you have to lose something worthwhile.

Sure if they lose Z or Murphy to somehow also have Seattle take the final bit of Shaw in a trade, that'll be a win but losing a solid roster player for nothing is dumb.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
And you can be smart about it or dumb about it leading into it. Smarter teams were prepared for it last time and should be more aware this time.

The Hawks last time were able to use it to their advantage and remove a overpaid Kruger for a 3rd pair D. Using it to your advantage is certainly better off than just saying you have to lose something worthwhile.

Sure if they lose Z or Murphy to somehow also have Seattle take the final bit of Shaw in a trade, that'll be a win but losing a solid roster player for nothing is dumb.

Right but it’s also the reality of an Expansion Draft. Vegas made out like bandits and drafted a SCF-appearing team that also had a ridiculous prospect pool and # of draft picks. That’s not GMs being smart.

Don’t forget the context of the conversation: posters implying Stan traded Jokiharju for Nylander because he may have lost him to Seattle. That’s ridiculous. Especially since now we probably lose a Murphy/CdH AND we also traded a solid D prospect for an AHL-quality winger. That isn’t Bowman “being smart about it” or “using it to his advantage”. That was him thinking we had a lot of D prospects and not enough forwards in the pipeline so he tried to use a strength to solve a weakness.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Blackhawks Talk Podcast mentioned that the Hawks had a high offer of a single second for Saad last year. I think it’s pretty clear most of us on this board wildly overvalued Saad compared to how the rest of the league sees him.

I will say part of the problem with saad is his cap hit, he’s not a 6M per year player. That probably doesn’t help.

But yeah, I think it’s safe to say hawk fans (myself included) have a different view of saad vs the rest of the nhl.

Not all of us ... He's just not very good. I've seen him working with Kane, DeBrincat, and a couple other guys several times during the summer. His stone hands are for real. 100% legit. He struggled to do some of the drills I see bantam level players flying through. Kept losing the puck. Not sure what the hell happened to him, but his skill really dropped off. It's kind of crazy.

Reactions: featherhawk

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He has been shit in every destination and was embarrassingly bad in playoffs

Sabres robbed Stanley in trade that was indefensible at time and will only get worse going forward
Regardless of whether or not Nylander sucks, losing Jokiharju isn't as big of a deal as you make it out to be. They have plenty of D prospects like him.

Was it to much to pay? Yeah. But Regula is probably an equal or better prospect as Jokiharju and they stole him for that bum Perlini, so he made up for it.

You don't see Wings fans ripping Yzerman for trading Regula for Perlini like you constantly rip Bowman for Jokiharju. IMO Regula>Jokiharju so it's a wash there.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
LOL

We dont have plenty of D prospects like Joker and LOL at Regula nonsense
They had the McKeen's prospect guy on the Madhouse podcast and he compared Regula to Byfuglien if he hits his ceiling.

You're way off there. They had Regula as the #2 prospect in the system before the draft.

You overrate Jokiharju severely.

He's a bottom pairing D that MIGHT be a #4 one day, if everything goes right.

Jokiharju and Beaudin are similar prospects.
Quit acting like the Hawks traded Nicklas Lidstrom for Alex Daigle.

Stop. Just f***ing stop.

Last edited:

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I get the impression that Nylander's pedigree and skill set enabled him to rise up the ranks, but now he's in the best league in the world and it takes more than he's got to give.....it's about blood, sweat and tears.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I get the impression that Nylander's pedigree and skill set enabled him to rise up the ranks, but now he's in the best league in the world and it takes more than he's got to give.....it's about blood, sweat and tears.
Quite frankly I'm tired of litigating the Nylander trade.
Everyone just STFU and hope for the best.
:deadhorse

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They had the McKeen's prospect guy on the Madhouse podcast and he compared Regula to Byfuglien if he hits his ceiling.

You're way off there. They had Regula as the #2 prospect in the system before the draft.

You overrate Jokiharju severely.

He's a bottom pairing D that MIGHT be a #4 one day, if everything goes right.

Jokiharju and Beaudin are similar prospects.
Quit acting like the Hawks traded Nicklas Lidstrom for Alex Daigle.

Stop. Just f***ing stop.
Lol at Regula being compared to Buff. That comparison doesnt even make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad