GDT: Free Agency Frenzy - The Madness Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Lol @ Montreal, gotta get all of those French Canadians.

I'm going to cry if Toronto gets JT. Their fans are going to become even more insufferable.

They see the model to fallow if they really want to push the envelope. I'd applaud them to getting the strength down the middle. They have suffered enough.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
One minor positive - MAYBE no Kuhn/Rowney on this team after today! :laugh:

minor? Dude that's Macho Man worthy

DlODsll.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Man, I miss the theme park discussions. I'm not a big fan of them, but going to Kennywood was a nice day out. Although tasting potato patch fries after the way my in-laws raved about them was about as underwhelming as Pleks going back to Montreal.

Also, just on the Daley vs Johnson production argument -

82 game ES paces as averaged over their whole career

16.33 - Johnson
18.4 - Daley

Admittedly, it's a kinda garbage stat, but there it is.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Really love the idea of “fixing” players when they’re 31 ****ing years old.
It worked okay with 31 year old healthy scratch Trevor Daley. I get that the situations are different, just saying. They may not need to fix him if they think his strengths simply fit in our system.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really love the idea of “fixing” players when they’re 31 ****ing years old.

Can almost guarentee JMFJ will have a '16-17 type season in PIT with the other D around him here + lighter usage vs what he had last season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Man, I miss the theme park discussions. I'm not a big fan of them, but going to Kennywood was a nice day out. Although tasting potato patch fries after the way my in-laws raved about them was about as underwhelming as Pleks going back to Montreal.

16.33 - Johnson
18.4 - Daley

I was always partial to flying out of my seat for one second on the Jack Rabbit.....

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Ok, I get it but, Desmith is not an NHL caliber player so..

I'd wager some $$ that he's a suitable backup for a number of teams in the league right now. Reason being is that our team blew chunks last year at ES and on b2bs. If that's what you're judging him on then it's not justified.

Personally, if we're talking NHL backup - here's the truth:

No matter how talented they are, they play about 25-30 games a season right? None of them are winning all of them, in fact the majority play in back to back circumstances when the team is already run down (or perhaps saving themselves for the tougher team the following night). As such, historically backups don't usually fair much over .500.

Therefore, I'd much rather gamble 675k earning me a .500 record in the 30 games he plays (even though they only play a part in that win or loss in b2b situations) than 3-4M. You think if we had Ward at 4M a year he's winning us an extra 5+ games? I don't. Perhaps he gets us 1 or 2 more wins than a DeSmith does, but at a 3M price difference - so does the better forward/defender we acquire. It's easier to place blame on your backup goalie than it is on your regulars who otherwise put up stellar numbers. The problem with this logic is that expensive backups are generally a waste as it's usually those regulars playing sub-par that costs the team to lose the game in the first place. If your rationale points to the playoffs - then the flaw there is that relatively no teams (barring some cinderella run) are winning without their #1. You see what happened to WAS this year..they thought they had Murray in the pipeline and that came crashing in their faces. Murray rising as a #1 was foreseen long before it happened because he had stellar numbers in every league he played in. That's not a normal story. Platoon teams have also fallen flat. St Louis two years ago looked like they had two capable number ones - that was entirely Hitchcock's system as those goalies went on to completely suck when they were traded/he left.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think this is actually somewhat good news for the Penguins when it comes to re-signing Brassard. It likely puts him in the $5-$6 million range.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
By the way Kennywood killing the logjammer instead of just refurbishing it was a crime against humanity. Just like when they took the loops out of the Phantom. Kennywood will slowly fall apart as the continue to not put much money in it. Yet the price now at 42 bucks is bonkers.

Sandcastle is just.....Dirty and Tiny.

You're better off driving the 3 hrs to Cedar Point and paying 20 more bucks and enjoying a real park that also had a waterpark and Lake Erie.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

16.33 - Johnson
18.4 - Daley

People swear by these fries, I don’t get it either.

Reactions: Peat and USMC607

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

I think this is actually somewhat good news for the Penguins when it comes to re-signing Brassard. It likely puts him in the $5-$6 million range.

I'm actually shocked LV swooped in and snagged Statsny. I didnt even think he was on their radar. They got some good C depth now.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad