Free Agency Discussion 2020-21 Part II

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I’m still pretty surprised Kahun is out there. I think he’s be a pretty good fit for this team. He’s a quality two way guy.

He’s still out there. Man, teams just don’t have the doe to shell out I guess.

Dreger had said a few weeks ago that there was a 4M defenseman on market and he got offered 750k. He wouldn’t name the guy but he said that’s how tight things are.

But you’re right, he’d be a great fit here. A super fit.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It’s fascinating. There are still a couple teams (Tampa and Vegas) that I believe are not cap compliant if the season started now. Or that would be forced to carry smaller than normal rosters. In neither case is there an obvious LTIR situation pending.

I know some fans around the league thing St Louis is in a similar situation, but that’s because they are unaware of Steen’s issue and forgetting Tarasenko’s LTIR.

I don’t really see a way out of this for Tampa. They already tried to trade Point with sweetener, with no takers.

Then there are guys like Vatanen and Hoffman who I think probably have deals in place that can’t actually be signed until LTIR money frees up.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I think you mean Johnson here, right? But your overall point remains. It's going to be interesting to see how they wiggle out of this.

Unless BriseBois is able to pull a rabbit out of a hat, they're going to have a hard time keeping a player like Cirelli. With the current situation they might lose him for a lot less then he's worth.

Is Stamkos able to play at the start of the season btw? LTIR-ing him might be their rabbit.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Unless BriseBois is able to pull a rabbit out of a hat, they're going to have a hard time keeping a player like Cirelli. With the current situation they might lose him for a lot less then he's worth.

Is Stamkos able to play at the start of the season btw? LTIR-ing him might be their rabbit.
They just re-signed Sergachev to a nice 3 year deal that will likely cost them down the road but is definitely great value for the immediate future. Reading through that thread, most Lightning fans seem to think Killorn + pick/prospect is gone. JBB has apparently made it clear that none of the main RFAs will be moved and -frankly- it seems like Cirelli is just in that next tier under Kuch/Point/Hedman/Vasi for them. I think it would have to be really drastic for them to move Cirelli.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
They just re-signed Sergachev to a nice 3 year deal that will likely cost them down the road but is definitely great value for the immediate future. Reading through that thread, most Lightning fans seem to think Killorn + pick/prospect is gone. JBB has apparently made it clear that none of the main RFAs will be moved and -frankly- it seems like Cirelli is just in that next tier under Kuch/Point/Hedman/Vasi for them. I think it would have to be really drastic for them to move Cirelli.
I think it will take more than that, maybe much more. I feel like best case scenario is both Cirelli and Cernak taking below market deals like Serge just did, and even then I could see them costing $5M-$6M combined. That leaves them $7M-$8M over the cap with a roster of 13/6/2. Moving Killorn doesn't even free up $4.5M with no retention, so you're still over the cap by $2.5M-$3.5M with a roster of 12/6/2 and no extras. I think they will end up needing to move 2 of Palat, Gourde, Johnson and Killorn and replace them with Joseph and Volkov. Cernak is probably less valuable in a vacuum than Cirelli, but I would bet Cirelli would get moved as a last resort simply because of their depth at forward vs. defense and because he would garner a much higher return.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
My guess is that adding Cirelli would require subtracting Thomas. I don’t think we make good trading partners even if Steen is out all year.
I also suspect the ask would be Thomas, which clearly would be a non-starter. I wonder if they would be interested in a package built around a young defenseman.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Alright, go sign Hoffman
IDK...I get that with Vova missing significant time we need to score goals and that Hoffman is good for ~30 goals in a top 6 role w/ plenty of PP time, but I've never been a fan of bringing him to Stl.

Especially with losing a beloved leader like Steen, I worry that replacing him with a 1-dimensional scorer with a documented history of off-ice distractions would mess up team chemistry. Guess I just don't think Hoffman would be a good fit with our general team first philosophy.

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
IDK...I get that with Vova missing significant time we need to score goals and that Hoffman is good for ~30 goals in a top 6 role w/ plenty of PP time, but I've never been a fan of bringing him to Stl.

Especially with losing a beloved leader like Steen, I worry that replacing him with a 1-dimensional scorer with a documented history of off-ice distractions would mess up team chemistry. Guess I just don't think Hoffman would be a good fit with our general team first philosophy.
I completely agree with you, but I think we are in the minority. This team lost a lot of defense in Steen, Pietrangelo, and Bouwmeester, and newcomers Krug and Faulk are not known for strong defensive play. It would not surprise me at all if a one-dimensional player like Hoffman was signed, because it seems to be the direction the team is headed in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad