Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm all for it if he comes with an extension, do the 8 year extension at 10M per

Nylander
1st
Zaitsev
Brown

for Doughty (signed)

take Clifford if we need to

I think if there is any chance LA doesn't keep Doughty he is as likely to sign FA with the Leafs as any other club. Why trade assets for a freebie? Of course making room for him UFA will be painful, but thats the best possible return as well. Not sure how much positive value Zaitsev has right now. He might need to play himself back to his contract.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think if there is any chance LA doesn't keep Doughty he is as likely to sign FA with the Leafs as any other club. Why trade assets for a freebie? Of course making room for him UFA will be painful, but thats the best possible return as well. Not sure how much positive value Zaitsev has right now. He might need to play himself back to his contract.

It's a risk if he becomes available, we don't do well and then he doesn't sign here etc. It's a big price to pay though for sure. To get the 8 year deal and maybe knock down the AVV helps us long term too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's a risk if he becomes available, we don't do well and then he doesn't sign here etc. It's a big price to pay though for sure. To get the 8 year deal and maybe knock down the AVV helps us long term too.

I’d rather risk it then trade Nylander + 1st + for him.

Some bigger names will be hitting free agency over the next couple years, Leafs can just make a hard push for whomever does and keep their other assets

Reactions: Walshy7

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He's going to want to test FA no matter what.

Reactions: Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

If the discussion was he'd want to test UFA no matter what then we don't pull the trigger on the trade. We try to sign him that summer and hope it goes our way. At that point you see what other options exist on the trade front if you can sign him.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
JVR, Bozak, Komarov gone
Sign Tavares

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Johnson - Aaltonen - Grundstrom

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Liljegren
-Carrick/Borgman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kovalchuk Matthews Hyman
Marleau Kadri Marner
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen
Grundstrom Aaltonen Martin/Engevell/Korshkov

Dermott Carlson
Reilly Tanev
Rosen/Borgman Zaitsev

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Tor/Min
Gardiner+Brown+Bracco/Brodin+Greenway

Close? Far apart? Who needs to add?

Reilly Brodin
Dermott Zaitzev
Hainsey Carrick
Borgman Holl

Hymen Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Greenway Bozak Kapanen
Grundstrom UFA/Aaltonen Johnsson
Martin

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Even the chance he would test UFA makes it a non starter for me

Tor/Min
Gardiner+Brown+Bracco/Brodin+Greenway

Close? Far apart? Who needs to add?

Reilly Brodin
Dermott Zaitzev
Hainsey Carrick
Borgman Holl

Hymen Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
Greenway Bozak Kapanen
Grundstrom UFA/Aaltonen Johnsson
Martin

Brodin is LD. If they are going to move Gards it should at least be for a right shot D

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Brown didn't go for a defenseman, how would you feel about a deal like Brown for N.Ritchie? We have the trading history with Anaheim.

Eh, I’m just not much of a fan of trading for more wingers. Leafs have plenty in house pushing for jobs as it is

Edit: typo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Eh, I’m just not much of a fan of trading for more wingers. Leafs have plenty in house pushing for jobs as it is

He is proposing we trade a winger for a bigger, grittier winger. Makes sense if Ritchie is the guy and Brown's ceiling is 20 goals.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He is proposing we trade a winger for a bigger, grittier winger. Makes sense if Ritchie is the guy and Brown's ceiling is 20 goals.

I don't see Ritchie being much more than a 4th line guy here. Hasn't put it together in Anaheim and they're fairly desperate for a top-6 winger.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I don't see Ritchie being much more than a 4th line guy here. Hasn't put it together in Anaheim and they're fairly desperate for a top-6 winger.

Only if Brown didn't go in a deal for Brown, and you know change of scenery type deals, Ritchie might just need to go somewhere else? Plus Ritchie brings things we don't have to the table and can play.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
kovalchuk has all but signed with the rangers,

Why do you say this? I'd think he'd want to come back to compete for a cup and that's not gonna happen in NY. I doubt Sather would tell the fans they are gonna rebuild and then slap them in the face by signing Kovalchuk.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm actually kind of amused that people are still going on about Tavares. It's been pretty obvious all year, that against elite teams, our team has often been exposed as not being strong enough defensively. Of course, there has been games where we've done well too.. These playoffs, while just two games, have exposed our weaknesses further. We are still, one, probably two RHD away from being contenders for the Cup.

I don't know what's going on with Zaitsev, and maybe he'll recover his form enough during the off season, to be one of those guys.. but right now he's not playing up to expectations, or needs.

We could really use Tanev and Carlson at this point, forget about Tavares, but I've been saying this for months.
I'm pretty sure you could ice 6 Norris calibre D-men on the Leafs and they would still have the same issues......getting hung out to dry on odd-man rushes, forwards not winning board battles, and consequently getting worn down by zone time.

If you sign JT, he understands positioning on both sides of the puck, and is tough to knock off the puck. Simply put, if you have the puck more, the D doesn't get as tired being cycled to death.

It's amusing that some don't see what the real issue is....and that ISN'T all on the D. Whenever you see an odd man rush against, that isn't the D making the mistake. And when the Leafs get hemmed into their own zone, that isn't all on the D. It's far more often than not that a forward is not winning a puck battle, or not being in a position to give the D-man an outlet, or the forward being out of position entirely.

JT helps this more than a D-man would. But there is still more work to do on the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad