Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Trade Nylander for Doughty, sign Tavares and sign Jay Beagle.

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Grundstrom-Beagle-Leivo

Reilly-Doughty
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Andersen
McBackup

Willie ain't enough for Doughty. I don't think we need to shoot for the stars if we sign JT. A dman of the OEL ilk should be a target. If not a couple of big physical dmen.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Willie ain't enough for Doughty. I don't think we need to shoot for the stars if we sign JT. A dman of the OEL ilk should be a target. If not a couple of big physical dmen.

For a last year UFA? No one is giving up more than that.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Willy on his own isn’t, but you’re gonna be hard pressed to find a better first piece come available than him, build on it with the usual pieces (draft pick, replacement player, cap filler) Nylander + 2019 1st + a replacement D and Martin to balance some cap space

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I really think signing Carlson should be our move for the offseason. Then getting a third line center would be our next move, which idk who they would target (maybe Anisimov? Zack Smith?) If all of such were to go to plan, i think our roster could end up looking pretty good. Something like

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Anisimov/Smith-Brown
Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Kapanen
Gauthier-Leivo

Rielly-Carlson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Carrick

Andersen
Sparks/Pickard

I think that this team is a cup contender, Keeping in mind that the big 3 will all be in there third year (technically 4 for Nylander) of being in the NHL and will have been in the playoffs twice.

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Willy on his own isn’t, but you’re gonna be hard pressed to find a better first piece come available than him, build on it with the usual pieces (draft pick, replacement player, cap filler) Nylander + 2019 1st + a replacement D and Martin to balance some cap space

Yes, that makes more sense. Willie alone doesn't get you Doughty IMO.

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I really think signing Carlson should be our move for the offseason. Then getting a third line center would be our next move, which idk who they would target (maybe Anisimov? Zack Smith?) If all of such were to go to plan, i think our roster could end up looking pretty good. Something like

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Anisimov-Brown
Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Kapanen
Gauthier-Leivo

Rielly-Carlson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Carrick

Andersen
Sparks/Pickard

I think that this team is a cup contender, Keeping in mind that the big 3 will all be in there third year (technically 4 for Nylander) of being in the NHL and will have been in the playoffs twice.

I still think that team is too soft. Sign JT (TyBo replacement) in order to be dominant down the middle; replace outgoing UFAs (Leo, JVR and Pleks) with at least 2 physical players; trade for a bigger, faster, meaner, younger Polak. Consider trading Gards for a more physical dman. This would leave you with 2 excellent puck moving dmen, Z and 3 physical dmen.

All easier said than done. I am looking forward to seeing what Lou's plan is :)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dominant down the middle, is rather useless, when you are as weak on the RHD side as us. JT is a wasted luxury, when we have deficiencies elsewhere. Time to move on from that fantasy.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Boston will be our pain in the ass to reach the promised land for the next 3 yrs till Bergeron Marchant and Chara start to break down.
We need some extra size and toughness.
At forward and defence.
A good start would be Tavares.
Mathew's and Tavares down the middle would be crazy.
He'll you could double shift either one in the playoffs.
Nylander could be traded for a young stud dman.
Ex.
Drouin for Sergachev
Not a
Hall for Larson

Trade
Gardner
Nylander for a young stud dprospect

Not see, this is what I was thinking Jonny T frees up Nylander for a d man trade imho, like we say, you gotta give to get

Otherwise I think your looking at either a Weber type and deal with the contract or second tier guys that may not pan out

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Dominant down the middle, is rather useless, when you are as weak on the RHD side as us. JT is a wasted luxury, when we have deficiencies elsewhere. Time to move on from that fantasy.

If you can add a talent like that for nothing more than cap space, then why wouldn't you do it?

Aside from Carlson who will get bid into a number that doesn't make sense, the direction will likely to be to trade for a defenseman. I'm not sure who it's going to be, but there aren't a ton of players that will come cheap.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If you can add a talent like that for nothing more than cap space, then why wouldn't you do it?

Aside from Carlson who will get bid into a number that doesn't make sense, the direction will likely to be to trade for a defenseman. I'm not sure who it's going to be, but there aren't a ton of players that will come cheap.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it makes sense to do so.

Carlson will likely get overpaid to some degree... but then a guy who will be a finalist for the Norris, and could win it, is going to get paid.
Then again, Tavares is likely worth $8.5-9.5 and will end up getting $12 million.
All UFA big name players get bid into a number that doesn't make sense for who they are... and yet, here you are suggesting we do exactly that for JT.

Defense wins Championships. Ours is mediocre. Our offense is not.

It's like a car... just because you can buy a turbo, when the brakes barely work... doesn't mean you should, when you should be investing in brakes. Our back end needs to make stops, and move the puck out, and our RHD isn't good enough at the current time.

Tavares changes nothing in the first two games of this playoffs... a better D does...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Trading “Marner/Nylander” before they even turn 22 would be by far the most “Leafs” thing management could do. Fortunately I think they won’t go down that road.

For bigger names on the free agent market I’d rather ink Carlson at 7.5-8 million per than JT at 11ish million.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Trading “Marner/Nylander” before they even turn 22 would be by far the most “Leafs” thing management could do.

Yep, its been this team's modus opporendi for the past 40 years. Which explains why people off such nostalgic suggestions. It's the devil they know.

Reactions: Menzinger

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Trading “Marner/Nylander” before they even turn 22 would be by far the most “Leafs” thing management could do. Fortunately I think they won’t go down that road.

For bigger names on the free agent market I’d rather ink Carlson at 7.5-8 million per than JT at 11ish million.

Pretty sure other teams have traded good players of that age before as well. Not that I'd be actively looking to move either one, I'd be curious what could be out there in a trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Pretty sure other teams have traded good players of that age before as well. Not that I'd be actively looking to move either one, I'd be curious what could be out there in a trade.

Other teams certainly have, but the Leafs have a rather nasty habit of doing so. And it’s always blew up in their faces when it happens.

And the last thing management should do is a Reactionary major change/trade to a playoff round exit this offseason.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Other teams certainly have, but the Leafs have a rather nasty habit of doing so. And it’s always blew up in their faces when it happens.

And the last thing management should do is a Reactionary major change/trade to a playoff round exit this offseason.

Well that's previous management, it has no barring on now.

I'd agree though that I wouldn't want any sort of trade made out of few weeks of games and the result of them - but I feel they've probably at lest thought about the idea of moving one before anyway.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it makes sense to do so.

Carlson will likely get overpaid to some degree... but then a guy who will be a finalist for the Norris, and could win it, is going to get paid.
Then again, Tavares is likely worth $8.5-9.5 and will end up getting $12 million.
All UFA big name players get bid into a number that doesn't make sense for who they are... and yet, here you are suggesting we do exactly that for JT.

Defense wins Championships. Ours is mediocre. Our offense is not.

It's like a car... just because you can buy a turbo, when the brakes barely work... doesn't mean you should, when you should be investing in brakes. Our back end needs to make stops, and move the puck out, and our RHD isn't good enough at the current time.

Tavares changes nothing in the first two games of this playoffs... a better D does...
Didn't Ron Hainsey lead the Pens D in ice time last playoffs, as part of a group of no name defence? Offense has won them the cup 2 years in row. Maybe another this year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Didn't Ron Hainsey lead the Pens D in ice time last playoffs, as part of a group of no name defence? Offense has won them the cup 2 years in row. Maybe another this year.

I suppose I'm old school. Using the exception, as a reasoning to build a roster, doesn't seem logical. It also doesn't jive with the mindset of our back office, or coaching. So that method of building a team, won two cups. Sorry, but we don't have Crosby, Malkin and Kessel at this point and adding Tavares doesn't get us there. Building a defense, with the offense we already have, could make us contenders for years to come...

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
How many offensive dmen do we need. We need a top 2 and a top 4 shutdown physical dman to go with rielly and Gardiner
Each one of those guys are good for 50 points we don’t need another guy who puts up 50 but can’t keep the puck out of our net.

I love nylander but I will reserve judgement on him until after these playoffs. If he isn’t going to get involved and show that he is willing to take a hit to make a play then you can’t win with guys like that. So far he hasn’t done that,

member 147413

If LA is out, I’m moving Nylander + Gardiner for Doughty + Tanner Pearson. (Not sure if LA does this but I think value is fair, contracts and age all considered)

Grundstrom - Matthews - Kapanen
Pearson - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Thornton - Hyman
Johnsson - Brodziak - Brown

Dermott - Doughty
Rielly - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey

Reactions: hullsy47

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

I wouldn’t trade either player for the sake of making a deal, but if we’re able to add a guy like JT why not convert one of those two into a comparable D man? Or add onto them and get a big fish

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wouldn’t trade either player for the sake of making a deal, but if we’re able to add a guy like JT why not convert one of those two into a comparable D man? Or add onto them and get a big fish

To trade them at this age (before they even enter their primes) is to sell them before their value is at their best. Their value as a 60ish point player isnt as much as it’ll be when they start to have better seasons (which each of them project to eventually have).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well that's previous management, it has no barring on now.

I'd agree though that I wouldn't want any sort of trade made out of few weeks of games and the result of them - but I feel they've probably at lest thought about the idea of moving one before anyway.

I agree fully.

Id be really surprised if they made a major trade this offseason (at least involving any of the younger guys). I predict management may try and chase a bigger names UFA and will try to keep adding to what they’ve built so far rather than try any sort of major shakeup

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If LA goes out with a whimper, make the move for Doughty this summer. He can re-sign after July 1

I'm all for it if he comes with an extension, do the 8 year extension at 10M per

Nylander
1st
Zaitsev
Brown

for Doughty (signed)

take Clifford if we need to

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

That only works with great goal tending and forwards that are shooting the lights out which so far describes the Bruins, not the Leafs. Going forward I can see them having success if Freddie is at his best but today in this playoff they just need to survive until NK returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad