Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
They played a defensive system, definitely much more then we do. Rick Nash isn't a burner, but Kovalchuk has gotten slower in the KHL. He'd be lethal on the PP but we don't really need help there, Nash's 2-way game beside Tavares would actually be welcome. I wouldn't be upset with Kovalchuk but I like what Nash's overall game could do for us, I don't think we'll struggle to score goals.
Fair enough

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
They played a defensive system, definitely much more then we do. Rick Nash isn't a burner, but Kovalchuk has gotten slower in the KHL. He'd be lethal on the PP but we don't really need help there, Nash's 2-way game beside Tavares would actually be welcome. I wouldn't be upset with Kovalchuk but I like what Nash's overall game could do for us, I don't think we'll struggle to score goals.
Nash could definitely provide better 2-way play but Kovalchuk would be more lethal goal-scorer. His defensive game isn't bad either.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fair enough

Nash could definitely provide better 2-way play but Kovalchuk would be more lethal goal-scorer. His defensive game isn't bad either.
'

Just haven't been impressed by Kovalchuk internationally like Olympics/WC since his depature for the KHL. Still out there that the disc issue with his back has been lingering, or at least taken something out of his skating. Won't deny he'd be a lethal weapon on the PP but not sure where else he'd help us.

I mean between Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Kadri that is already a hell of a start to a good PP unit.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
'

Just haven't been impressed by Kovalchuk internationally like Olympics/WC since his depature for the KHL. Still out there that the disc issue with his back has been lingering, or at least taken something out of his skating. Won't deny he'd be a lethal weapon on the PP but not sure where else he'd help us.

I mean between Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Kadri that is already a hell of a start to a good PP unit.
Good points.

I must admit my personal bias towards Ilya.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Good points.

I must admit my personal bias towards Ilya.

I wouldn't be upset if we added him, just if I had a choice, it's Nash just because I think he can play up and down the line up and I think he won't take anything away from Tavares offensively but he will help him so much defensively.

If we added Kovalchuk though, one hell of a one timer option, I could see Marner feeding him on a PP unit all day.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Are the Leafs going to turn into retirement haven again?
I'm not looking to give anyone retirement contract. I was talking about signing Kovalchuk for one year. He can prove that he can still play in the NHL and someone else can sign him afterwards.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't believe we need to sign any more wingers moving forward. We have enough of those.

The issue at hand is we don't have center depth after Bozak leaves and Plekanec becomes a free agent and goes back to Montreal. The second issue is trying to upgrade the defense if we can.

At center we should be targeting Tavares>RNH>Thornton.

On defense we should be targeting Da Haan>Tanev>Klefbom

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I know its early... but whats the chances we trade Leivo this offseason... ?

Maybe at the draft...?

To NYR:
Josh Leivo

To TOR:
BOS 3rd round pick

or maybe:

To NYR:
Josh Leivo
Connor Carrick

To TOR:
NJ 2nd
NYR 6th 2019

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't believe we need to sign any more wingers moving forward. We have enough of those.

The issue at hand is we don't have center depth after Bozak leaves and Plekanec becomes a free agent and goes back to Montreal. The second issue is trying to upgrade the defense if we can.

At center we should be targeting Tavares>RNH>Thornton.

On defense we should be targeting Da Haan>Tanev>Klefbom

imo we do need that big powerforward on the wing long term, someone who can play JVR's role, and I'm not talking about someone like Lucic whose unskilled, but a player capable of putting up 50ish points and behind a strong net presences and strong on the fore check.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I know its early... but whats the chances we trade Leivo this offseason... ?

Maybe at the draft...?

To NYR:
Josh Leivo

To TOR:
BOS 3rd round pick

or maybe:

To NYR:
Josh Leivo
Connor Carrick

To TOR:
NJ 2nd
NYR 6th 2019

If we do not plan on using them, then Leivo and Carrick should be on the trade block. Too valuable to be sitting out as much as they have but at the same time there may not be a role for them to fill for us.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs May have a ton of capspace in 18/19, but things will get much tighter in 19/20.

They don’t have the room to sign a vet UFA winger on a multi year deal imo, nor does it make much sense given the large number of wingers on the Marlies who will be looking for NHL jobs over the next couple seasons

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
John Carlson is our Missing piece, i say we try and get him for 8Mx7. We also have enough cap space to sign Thornton to a 1 year deal. This would be my dream lineup for next year

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Thornton-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Brown
Leivo-Gauthier

Gardiner-Carlson
Rielly-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Carrick

Andersen
Pickard/Sparks

I think this is a clear Stanley cup contender

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Nash would be good as a replacement for JVR. He'd be great for cycling and size up front. Imagine Nash-Tavares-Marner? Ridiculous.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
True but if they were interested and we could get it done using JVR's rights, why not ?

Isles had no interest in JVR last summer, why would it be any different now?

If the Isles can't sign Tavares why would JVR be lining up to sign there? It just didn'td make sense.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No player, except perhaps Stamkos, has been in that position. Is there any reason to believe that, if money is a factor, that MLSE won't use their industry clout to set up unofficial meetings where he can make even more?

It's ignorant to think a player like Tavares needs MLSE to broker an endorsement deal. You ever notice Stamkos does national commercials? You think MLSE got him those deals?

The type of deal you are taking about would more benefit a guy like Tie Domi, who would have been a nobody playing in a lame market like Tampa, but by playing here became something of an icon. Likely playing here led him to more dollars. But for a Tavares, it will make essentially no difference.

Reactions: mulefarm

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
It's ignorant to think a player like Tavares needs MLSE to broker an endorsement deal. You ever notice Stamkos does national commercials? You think MLSE got him those deals?

The type of deal you are taking about would more benefit a guy like Tie Domi, who would have been a nobody playing in a lame market like Tampa, but by playing here became something of an icon. Likely playing here led him to more dollars. But for a Tavares, it will make essentially no difference.

Players and agents need all the help that they can get. I'm afraid that there's no reason to assume that Stamkos would make just as much money in endorsements in Tampa as he would in Toronto.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Isles had no interest in JVR last summer, why would it be any different now?

If the Isles can't sign Tavares why would JVR be lining up to sign there? It just didn'td make sense.

Isles wanted more than JVR for Hammonic. Who's to say they would not be interested in JVR as a UFA, especially if they fail to sign JT, in which case they will need goals and may want to throw their fans a bone.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
this same management group did kick tires on Stamkos, in fact they did more than just kick tires. The Leafs offer to Stamkos was substantial, but he felt like there was unfinished business in Tampa and so he signed back.

suffice it to say the Leafs will "kick tires" on Tavares as well.

Leafs have just over $16.5M coming off the books in terms of salary this offseason in Polak (1.1M), Moore (1M), Komarov (2.95M), Plekanec (3M), Bozak (4.2M), and JVR (4.25M).

All of these players will be gone and replaced by Marlies or UFA's.

In the following offseason Leafs will lose another 2 contracts in Gardiner and Hainsey. I see Gardiner getting moved and Hainsey maybe brought back on a cheap Roman Polak like deal if at all. So that is another $7.05M coming off the books.

Leafs can afford any ONE of Tavares, Doughty, Karlsson, etc if they wish to add.

I see the Leafs going to a model of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Reilly as their main guys and trying to add another STAR player with the rest of the roster being filled out by Marlies graduates.

The trump card the Leafs for 2 more season beyond this season is the contract of NATHAN HORTON! thats an additional $5.3M in cap space should they need it!

face it, the Leafs can talk to any UFA and can afford ANY UFA. What the actual plan is going forward we will see come July 1. but interesting times are ahead for this team as they get better and better.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
this same management group did kick tires on Stamkos, in fact they did more than just kick tires. The Leafs offer to Stamkos was substantial, but he felt like there was unfinished business in Tampa and so he signed back.

suffice it to say the Leafs will "kick tires" on Tavares as well.

Leafs have just over $16.5M coming off the books in terms of salary this offseason in Polak (1.1M), Moore (1M), Komarov (2.95M), Plekanec (3M), Bozak (4.2M), and JVR (4.25M).

All of these players will be gone and replaced by Marlies or UFA's.

In the following offseason Leafs will lose another 2 contracts in Gardiner and Hainsey. I see Gardiner getting moved and Hainsey maybe brought back on a cheap Roman Polak like deal if at all. So that is another $7.05M coming off the books.

Leafs can afford any ONE of Tavares, Doughty, Karlsson, etc if they wish to add.

I see the Leafs going to a model of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Reilly as their main guys and trying to add another STAR player with the rest of the roster being filled out by Marlies graduates.

The trump card the Leafs for 2 more season beyond this season is the contract of NATHAN HORTON! thats an additional $5.3M in cap space should they need it!

face it, the Leafs can talk to any UFA and can afford ANY UFA. What the actual plan is going forward we will see come July 1. but interesting times are ahead for this team as they get better and better.

Horton does not give us anymore Cap Space, we are allowed to exceed the cap by his amount but Horton's contract still counts against our Cap. so with or without him we don't get anymore cap space.

also in the 19-20 year we already have 38.2 million locked up in 9 players add another 24 million for Matthews/Marner/Nylander(unless they bridge 1 or 2), and were up to around 62 million with 12 guys signed, meaning we would roughly have 23ish million(horton 5.3) depending on the upper limit to sign the other 11 players to make up a 23 man roster. so unless we move salary out not sure we can afford more. if you add a tavares at 10 then you need 10 more players for 13 million. or Doughty/Karlsson same thing.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

No it actually isn't. You should really look into what dipping into LTIR money actually does re:performance bonuses.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I could honestly see Tavares being the guy who will take a discount to sign with the team he wants. I can't see him chasing money because I think he is the guy chasing a cup.

We have:
1) A great chance to win over his contract
2) His hometown and team he grew up cheering for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->