Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Beats that window. Otherwise it makes no sense.
Seems insecure to me. Just wait it out and make the same pitch you were always going to make. Having that extra day tells JT that they're "super cereal, you guys," but is otherwise just a waste of assets.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Seems insecure to me. Just wait it out and make the same pitch you were always going to make. Having that extra day tells JT that they're "super cereal, you guys," but is otherwise just a waste of assets.

It is more than one day (more like 5 but I am not sure exact number). Sabres traded pick for Vessey's rights a couple of years ago but could not sign him.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It is more than one day (more like 5 but I am not sure exact number). Sabres traded pick for Vessey's rights a couple of years ago but could not sign him.
I think Vesey's rights were held until August, so a bit of a different scenario there. With the discussion window leading up to July 1st, I imagine acquiring UFA rights is just about extinct. Could be wrong, though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
if the Leafs wont offer him 5 years he probably can get another team to via offer sheet. don't act like that avenue is not available

While possible, it's damn unlikely. Offer sheets are rare because no one wants to see their young star get offer sheeted, there were teams in worse financial shape then the Leafs that didn't get offer sheeted before and I doubt anyone wants to deal with the Leafs on that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Could they trade a conditional pick? A 3rd if he doesn't sign, a 2nd if he does, for example..??

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The Leafs have very well run organization that is deeply embedded within the Toronto community, and having access to that network is priceless for players who want to advance their careers. It also introduces their friends and family to that network. That's not something that most teams can replicate.

Salaries are good no matter what, but you become sports royalty in Toronto when the team is on the way up. I think they're going to present a fair pay structure, and I think he'll continue to make money outside of his salary simply by having access to the Toronto hockey machine. I think that it is how they're going to snare Tavares as well.

No player has ever signed here with that as the reason.

Tavares will sign in the place he can get the best combination of lifestyle, money, and winning that suits his desires. Getting a Hyundai deal from Nav Bhatia will have no bearing on his decision.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Was thinking whether we could trade JVR's right's for Tavares' before the draft this morning and voila Ek is thinking similarly except it might cost us more than JVR :)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...es-rights-prior-to-DraftMons-Buzzcast/1/91612

Start here this morning...a source I am close to told me, "The Leafs are looking into offering a 'package of picks' for the right to talk to Tavares prior to the NHL Draft in Dallas. Such a move would be interesting, because he could always turn around and still sign back with the Islanders...but Toronto does feel they could perhaps convince him otherwise.."

How much would a team give up for his rights? Don't be shocked if it is quite a bit...By having Tavares right's prior to July 1 a team has the ability to offer an 8th year...

More to come

No rainre to be interested in his rights prior to the draft. We have time to negotiate with him prior to July 1st like every other team. Why pay valuable assets just to get an extra few days to talk to him?

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
No player has ever signed here with that as the reason.

Tavares will sign in the place he can get the best combination of lifestyle, money, and winning that suits his desires. Getting a Hyundai deal from Nav Bhatia will have no bearing on his decision.

No player, except perhaps Stamkos, has been in that position. Is there any reason to believe that, if money is a factor, that MLSE won't use their industry clout to set up unofficial meetings where he can make even more?

Reactions: firstemperor

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
While possible, it's damn unlikely. Offer sheets are rare because no one wants to see their young star get offer sheeted, there were teams in worse financial shape then the Leafs that didn't get offer sheeted before and I doubt anyone wants to deal with the Leafs on that.

I would say it doesn't happen mostly because the team usually gives in and gives the kid what he is looking for, or something both deem as fair. it wouldn't be about going up against the Leafs financially, if it's late August and Matthews hasn't signed yet because were not willing to go 5 years but that's what Matthews wants, then another team could offer that and see if we match, we probably would but it's an avenue that RFA's can use in order to get a deal they want. the other team who signs Matthews to the offersheet has nothing to lose really.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would say it doesn't happen mostly because the team usually gives in and gives the kid what he is looking for, or something both deem as fair. it wouldn't be about going up against the Leafs financially, if it's late August and Matthews hasn't signed yet because were not willing to go 5 years but that's what Matthews wants, then another team could offer that and see if we match, we probably would but it's an avenue that RFA's can use in order to get a deal they want. the other team who signs Matthews to the offersheet has nothing to lose really.

I just remember a few cases with teams that had like no cap space and teams weren't offer sheeting them...I guess inflation? I mean I might risk it for a talent like Matthews but we totally have the cap space to fit them in...but at a more favourable rate and term is ideal.

I feel like people are just looking for things to worry about at this point. I'd bank on Matthews signing an 8 year deal around 11M

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I just remember a few cases with teams that had like no cap space and teams weren't offer sheeting them...I guess inflation? I mean I might risk it for a talent like Matthews but we totally have the cap space to fit them in...but at a more favourable rate and term is ideal.

I feel like people are just looking for things to worry about at this point. I'd bank on Matthews signing an 8 year deal around 11M

it's what I think happens aswell I was simply pointing out that there are options for Matthews as an RFA to get what he wants should we not be willing to. other then have Arb rights. which your post suggested Matthews had no leverage as an RFA with no Arb rights which I feel is incorrect the offersheet is an option for him to get what he wants should he want to play that card.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No player, except perhaps Stamkos, has been in that position. Is there any reason to believe that, if money is a factor, that MLSE won't use their industry clout to set up unofficial meetings where he can make even more?

The Leafs already brought Canadian Tire and I believe one other company in with them to meet Stamkos.

They will do the same thing with John Tavares.

"We are offering you this amount of money, they are offering you this amount of money, and we have this list of companies that would offer you deals as well, we expect your total annual earnings to be around ______"

"Oh by the way, you will be coached by the coach you won gold with in 2014 and hopefully will again in 2022, playing along side former Olympic teammate Patrick Marleau, former junior teammate Nazem Kadri, as well as elite talents like Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander, Morgan Rielly, among others."

I think the Leafs have a better chance at landing Tavares, should he go to free agency, than most want to believe. I think fans of other teams just don't want to see him go to Toronto, and I think all of us are keeping expectations low.

The Islanders are now 8 points out with just 13 games left. They are cooked, and it doesn't look like things are going to end positively the rest of the way. He's even admitted he's not having fun, and when a player is a couple months away from being able to explore 30 other options, that's not a good thing.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The Leafs already brought Canadian Tire and I believe one other company in with them to meet Stamkos.

They will do the same thing with John Tavares.

"We are offering you this amount of money, they are offering you this amount of money, and we have this list of companies that would offer you deals as well, we expect your total annual earnings to be around ______"

"Oh by the way, you will be coached by the coach you won gold with in 2014 and hopefully will again in 2022, playing along side former Olympic teammate Patrick Marleau, former junior teammate Nazem Kadri, as well as elite talents like Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander, Morgan Rielly, among others."

I think the Leafs have a better chance at landing Tavares, should he go to free agency, than most want to believe. I think fans of other teams just don't want to see him go to Toronto, and I think all of us are keeping expectations low.

The Islanders are now 8 points out with just 13 games left. They are cooked, and it doesn't look like things are going to end positively the rest of the way. He's even admitted he's not having fun, and when a player is a couple months away from being able to explore 30 other options, that's not a good thing.
I definitely see this happening as far as their approach, one thing I’m not sure they would be allowed to do, but could definitely consider would be to give JT max money next year (or as close to it we can do without overage penalties) and then January first give him a 8 year backdiving deal keeping his hit down as much as possible. He gets 9 years, a ton of money up front and chance to bring multiple cups home.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
it's what I think happens aswell I was simply pointing out that there are options for Matthews as an RFA to get what he wants should we not be willing to. other then have Arb rights. which your post suggested Matthews had no leverage as an RFA with no Arb rights which I feel is incorrect the offersheet is an option for him to get what he wants should he want to play that card.

I might be silly but I think he won't do that. I believe something similar happened with Bobby Ryan and Anaheim, he wanted like a 2-3 year deal but they wanted a longer term contract and eventually he took it. I don't think players will be *that* upset by getting term, I mean who knows if you blow out a knee or get concussed really bad right? Plus I think Matthews loves it here anyway.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
All I can say is that if we land Tavares, we're cup favourites next season. No team is going to be able to match Matthews, Tavares and Kadri down the middle with Nylander and Marner playing wing on different lines.

Reactions: IWD

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
All I can say is that if we land Tavares, we're cup favourites next season. No team is going to be able to match Matthews, Tavares and Kadri down the middle with Nylander and Marner playing wing on different lines.

Just need to fix defense, likely can deal 1 of Brown or Kapanen to help us land the defenseman, they're a luxury on the 4th line if they're there, and they could definitely help us land something much better.

I would assume both Vancouver and Florida would be okay with getting Brown+Pick as apart of a package to get Tanev or Pysyk, which is how i've drawn up a lot of mocks.

• Carrick+Brown+4th for Pysyk+2nd
  • Trade Martin after July 1st (we pay his signing bonus, they take the full cap hit) 2.5M cap hit for 750k, might have an appeal in ARI/NYI...maybe someone else. Martin for a 7th or Martin and Leivo for a 5th
  • Re-sign Nylander for 7 years at 6M (Ehlers contract comparable)
  • Re-sign Marner for 7 years at 6M (see above)
  • Re-sign Matthews for 8 years at 11M
  • Re-sign Gauthier for 1 year 850k (1-way)
  • Sign Tavares for 7 years at 10M
  • Sign Brodziak 1 year 1.25M (was just making like 950k) or Beagle 1 year 2M or 2 years at 1.75M per
  • Sign Rick Nash for 1 year at 5.5M-6M (we'd have room only for 1 year)
  • Sign a cheap 4th line winger (600k-900k) - JT Brown, Torey Mitchell, Chris Stewart, Ryan Reaves, Tommy Wingels
  • Sign another (cheaper) defenseman
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Nash-Tavares-Kapanen
Johnsson-Beagle-4th line winger
Gauthier

Rielly-Pysyk
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman

Andersen
Whoever emerges out of McBackUp, Sparks and Pickard (one is definitely getting traded this off-season)

Reactions: Maplebeasts

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No rainre to be interested in his rights prior to the draft. We have time to negotiate with him prior to July 1st like every other team. Why pay valuable assets just to get an extra few days to talk to him?

True but if they were interested and we could get it done using JVR's rights, why not ?

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site

I'd like to see see some size added up front, but yeah, no one can touch that forward depth. Moving Gardiner + for a similar calibre RHD would solidify the team overall if Zaitsev can bounce back next season.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd like to see see some size added up front, but yeah, no one can touch that forward depth. Moving Gardiner + for a similar calibre RHD would solidify the team overall if Zaitsev can bounce back next season.

I was thinking Maroon. Move Martin to the Isles and sign Maroon.

Reactions: IWD

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd rather sign Kovalchuk for one year than Nash.

In my mock up I didn't see the obvious fit with us and Kovalchuk, none of the centres made sense.

Matthews - I don't see Kovalchuk being able to play the top line anymore
Tavares - 2 bad defensive players? Plus Kapanen is pretty young, a lot of pressure there.
Kadri - Marleau and Marner are underrated defensively so this line can go up against anyone

Crazy thing is I think they could give Tavares a ton of ice time in "protected" or ideal OZ% starts like Bozak received this year but obviously he'll have more ice time and success.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
In my mock up I didn't see the obvious fit with us and Kovalchuk, none of the centres made sense.

Matthews - I don't see Kovalchuk being able to play the top line anymore
Tavares - 2 bad defensive players? Plus Kapanen is pretty young, a lot of pressure there.
Kadri - Marleau and Marner are underrated defensively so this line can go up against anyone

Crazy thing is I think they could give Tavares a ton of ice time in "protected" or ideal OZ% starts like Bozak received this year but obviously he'll have more ice time and success.
Isn't Kovalchuk above-average defensively? I'd always heard he'd ended up developing a half-decent 2-way game in his years with the Devils.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Isn't Kovalchuk above-average defensively? I'd always heard he'd ended up developing a half-decent 2-way game in his years with the Devils.

They played a defensive system, definitely much more then we do. Rick Nash isn't a burner, but Kovalchuk has gotten slower in the KHL. He'd be lethal on the PP but we don't really need help there, Nash's 2-way game beside Tavares would actually be welcome. I wouldn't be upset with Kovalchuk but I like what Nash's overall game could do for us, I don't think we'll struggle to score goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad