Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The Leafs have very well run organization that is deeply embedded within the Toronto community, and having access to that network is priceless for players who want to advance their careers. It also introduces their friends and family to that network. That's not something that most teams can replicate.

Salaries are good no matter what, but you become sports royalty in Toronto when the team is on the way up. I think they're going to present a fair pay structure, and I think he'll continue to make money outside of his salary simply by having access to the Toronto hockey machine. I think that it is how they're going to snare Tavares as well.

Reactions: ToneDog

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
okay. and there's enough evidence regarding Brisson how his MO is.
I acknowledged that Matthews is (as far as I know) Brisson's first client in this era of just "pay everyone their money". I'm just saying - i personally wouldn't be surprised if he takes more money less years, because everyone else he's had had lots of money (considering) for less years. never once did I say I would pay Matthews peanuts or less than he was worth. I'm saying his second contract may not be as long as people hope it will be.

By big $$ I meant $80m plus (so more speaking about term then annual value).

I would be shocked if he took anything less then a 6 year deal, so we've likely hit an impasse in our discussion.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You eluded to the PA in another post. This group of 4 is the best group of young players to break into the league since Crosby, Malkin, and Ovi.

So they would be getting major pressure from the PA to move the buck forward. I think this plays a bigger factor then people think.

McDavid and Eichel got their big $$, now it's Laine and Matthews turn.

If we are talking about trends, this is the way the league is going now.

I don't think you should bother looking at contracts signed ~10 years ago as comparables, there is more than enough recent evidence to show 8 yr deal is way more likely.

Yep, a decade is a lifetime ago in terms of managerial trends.

8 year big money deals are the new normal for Star young players post ELC

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
can't see Matthews getting less than Eichel

If you bump the Matthews number up ~1 mill, it's probably accurate though. Ehlers got 6 mill per year for 7 years. Marner and Nylander are a little bit better and we get the extra year, so they make a little bit more than him per year.

Pastrnak got 6.67 x 6, but he was also coming off of a 70 point year at the time so that may have inflated things a little bit.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If you bump the Matthews number up ~1 mill, it's probably accurate though. Ehlers got 6 mill per year for 7 years. Marner and Nylander are a little bit better and we get the extra year, so they make a little bit more than him per year.

Pastrnak got 6.67 x 6, but he was also coming off of a 70 point year at the time so that may have inflated things a little bit.
ya agree, I don't see how Nylander or Marner get more than Pastrnak and with Ehlers/Atkinson/Drouin/etc there's lots of comparables

the only thing I can see pushing the AAV up a bit is getting all 8 years, but even then it might be 7

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Gotta think Nylander/Marner get more than Ehlers but less than Pastarnak
Nylander- 6.25x7
Marner-6.25x7

Matthews Probably gets between Eichel and Mcdavid
Matthews- 11.5x8

All get signed for 24 million

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Gotta think Nylander/Marner get more than Ehlers but less than Pastarnak
Nylander- 6.25x7
Marner-6.25x7

Matthews Probably gets between Eichel and Mcdavid
Matthews- 11.5x8

All get signed for 24 million

Why would Nylander and Marner get more then Ehlers though?

Could easily be 6M x7yrs for both and then 11M x8 for Matthews.

Or 6.5M x8 for both and then 11Mx8 for Matthews.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Why would Nylander and Marner get more then Ehlers though?

Could easily be 6M x7yrs for both and then 11M x8 for Matthews.

Or 6.5M x8 for both and then 11Mx8 for Matthews.

Inflation? The cap is increase from everything we know, that tends to drive prices up a tick.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Who cares what they sign for, just get it done so they know what they have to work with moving forward. They need to move forward on addressing other areas and the sooner they get those deals done the better off they are.

To me there is no reason to resign Marner and Matthews this off season. You know that they are going to have to be signed regardless. Wait until next season and get deals done. This season focus on Nylander cause hes out of contract, use remaining $$$$ to complement team and fill other holes.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Why do I go to the main board, apparently Matthews will stitch us up and demand 13m or more and Laine is such team first guy he'll sign for 6m like Schiefele (so)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Who cares what they sign for, just get it done so they know what they have to work with moving forward. They need to move forward on addressing other areas and the sooner they get those deals done the better off they are.

To me there is no reason to resign Marner and Matthews this off season. You know that they are going to have to be signed regardless. Wait until next season and get deals done. This season focus on Nylander cause hes out of contract, use remaining $$$$ to complement team and fill other holes.
These two points seem to directly contradict each other - Do you want them to get the deals all done so they can focus on other things, or do you want them to focus on other things because they can afford to put off the extensions?

Giving Matthews and Marner another year to prove their worth is a risk that I'd avoid, if at all possible. Get them locked up now, if you can, and be done with it.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
One UFA the leafs could target is JUMBO joe assuming he recovers well. Balances future and present well. Leafs will have a huge amount of cap space available so they could offer Joe a contract similar to what Joe got this year, prolly slightly less.

Matthews
Kadri
Thorton

Thats some amazing center depth. Wonder was lines would be?!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Why do I go to the main board, apparently Matthews will stitch us up and demand 13m or more and Laine is such team first guy he'll sign for 6m like Schiefele (so)

They are already trying to paint Laine as a team first guy who wont hamstring his team with too big a contract. Meanwhile locker room cancer Matthews at $11M is a terrible contract. Its the main boards AKA Anti-leaf boards

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
They are already trying to paint Laine as a team first guy who wont hamstring his team with too big a contract. Meanwhile locker room cancer Matthews at $11M is a terrible contract. Its the main boards AKA Anti-leaf boards

I know, I get bored and wander in there sometimes, quickly wish I didn't bother Anti leafs bias is very very real

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
the other thing to keep in mind with this is the collective agreement I believe expires in 2022 with an opt out clause in fall of 2019, so depending on the PA's stance and wheather there going to opt out might affect Matthews strategy, if Matthews and his Agent sees the players losing another CBA fight he might want to sign that short term contract and then re-up in 2021-22 to take advantage of the current rules, or they may decide to go the other way and sign just past the current agreement so he can re-sign shortly after the new CBA takes affect to take advantage of any gains his PA have made.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Leafs can also say we want 8 years, and he's RFA with no arbitration rights, so guess who wins there?

Leafs management isn't stupid. 8 years is the way to go, I have faith.

if the Leafs wont offer him 5 years he probably can get another team to via offer sheet. don't act like that avenue is not available

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
the other thing to keep in mind with this is the collective agreement I believe expires in 2022 with an opt out clause in fall of 2019, so depending on the PA's stance and wheather there going to opt out might affect Matthews strategy, if Matthews and his Agent sees the players losing another CBA fight he might want to sign that short term contract and then re-up in 2021-22 to take advantage of the current rules, or they may decide to go the other way and sign just past the current agreement so he can re-sign shortly after the new CBA takes affect to take advantage of any gains his PA have made.

New agreement doesn't always work in favor of the players!!!! I don't think this next one will to be honest. If this is the strategy from a players perspective, you would have to think the Leafs management team should be taking the same approach on deals. New agreement may very well favor teams this time around which would mean for management to hold off hamstringing themselves and handing out bridge deals.

You would think an astute management team would know by now which way things seem to be trending!!!!

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
One UFA the leafs could target is JUMBO joe assuming he recovers well. Balances future and present well. Leafs will have a huge amount of cap space available so they could offer Joe a contract similar to what Joe got this year, prolly slightly less.

Matthews
Kadri
Thorton

Thats some amazing center depth. Wonder was lines would be?!

Been saying this for a while, really think this is the guy leafs target and get

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Any of the college defenders that the Leafs should look at?

Brickley, Poolman, Schuldt? None are right handed sadly but their a bit older and might potentially make an impact sooner.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Was thinking whether we could trade JVR's right's for Tavares' before the draft this morning and voila Ek is thinking similarly except it might cost us more than JVR :)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...es-rights-prior-to-DraftMons-Buzzcast/1/91612

Start here this morning...a source I am close to told me, "The Leafs are looking into offering a 'package of picks' for the right to talk to Tavares prior to the NHL Draft in Dallas. Such a move would be interesting, because he could always turn around and still sign back with the Islanders...but Toronto does feel they could perhaps convince him otherwise.."

How much would a team give up for his rights? Don't be shocked if it is quite a bit...By having Tavares right's prior to July 1 a team has the ability to offer an 8th year...

More to come

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
How much would a team give up for his rights? Don't be shocked if it is quite a bit...By having Tavares right's prior to July 1 a team has the ability to offer an 8th year...

This is false.

From Article 50.8 of the CBA:

(b) The following practices also shall not be permitted under this Agreement and may not be included in any SPC, nor otherwise agreed to by any Club, any person or any entity:

(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Reactions: Joel Ward
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad