Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
lol pretty sure that guy's just trolling. Loves using the word chatter and keeps saying we're offering Brown, Nielsen and a 2nd for basically every D man out there.

Totally a pipe dream and bogus tweet. This guy is smoking something good. Wish I had some to get us through this Tavares situation!!!

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Why is everyone hung up on Tavares?

I would be a fan of obtaining Tavares, but he alone will not get this team to the next level. I believe Matthews will be a much greater player and is younger. Rather spend the money on a Dman or players that can complement our current squad.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

I would be a fan of obtaining Tavares, but he alone will not get this team to the next level. I believe Matthews will be a much greater player and is younger. Rather spend the money on a Dman or players that can complement our current squad.

Because a player like him rarely makes it to FA
And it's just money
Can you imagine the excitement if he signed here? How pumped the players would be that they were able to land him!?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

D is obviously the weak point, but how much are we willing to spend on a FA? Carlson at $8M per for 7 years? No thanks. I'd much rather supplement the D corps with a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy and develop the guys we have. Plus, imagine 34-91-43 down the middle? Craziness.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Let's see.....

27 years old - fits with the team
Mississauga boy
Plays Center - a position of need
Can Score - almost averaging a point a game over his career
Instantly gives us the best set of Centers in the league (Matthews, Tavares, Kadri)
Puck possession usually helps with overall defensive play - Tavares is a star in this
Quality wingers that we have will make top 3 lines difficult to match against for any team
Would be a great mentor for Matthews, Marner and other youngsters on the team
Teams have proven you do not need an 8-10 million dollar dman to win or even be successful for a Cup run

ya your right......I don't get why everyone is hung up on Tavares!!!!

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I'm surprised dubas didn't take Paul Martin's contract for a pick. I can't imagine we will be able to utilise our cap space this year since it evaporates the following season

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Did I say we dress him for a single game?

May as well get an draft pick in return for unused cap space.

How do you know the Sharks were willing to move a pick to get rid of his contract?

And if they were, how high a pick do you think they would have included to save 2.83M in cash and 2.02M and 1.42M in cap room in the next two seasons?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
2018 bc‏ @bobbycappucino
FollowFollow @bobbycappucino
More
BREAKING: There is chatter that the Islanders are offering their two 1sts++ for Artemi Panarin so Tavares stays, but CBJ are tantalized moreso by Toronto's package of Brown, Nielsen, and a 2nd.

I'm not sure on which planet, Brown, Nielsen and a second are worth more than Two firsts... but I'm just copying and pasting what idiocy I read.

It's his idea of a joke. Not very funny.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
How do you know the Sharks were willing to move a pick to get rid of his contract?

And if they were, how high a pick do you think they would have included to save 2.83M in cash and 2.02M and 1.42M in cap room in the next two seasons?

He was bought out for a reason, hes 37 years old getting paid 5 million to do nothing. Sharks would have never had us take a pick in any transaction, the buyout was the best route.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Let's see.....

27 years old - fits with the team
Mississauga boy
Plays Center - a position of need
Can Score - almost averaging a point a game over his career
Instantly gives us the best set of Centers in the league (Matthews, Tavares, Kadri)
Puck possession usually helps with overall defensive play - Tavares is a star in this
Quality wingers that we have will make top 3 lines difficult to match against for any team
Would be a great mentor for Matthews, Marner and other youngsters on the team
Teams have proven you do not need an 8-10 million dollar dman to win or even be successful for a Cup run

ya your right......I don't get why everyone is hung up on Tavares!!!!

Ya adding a bottom pairing Dman and Tavares is going to stop Boston from scorching us with 7 goals in the playoffs. Makes sense.

Btw, Kadri has similar or better points/60mins as Tavares in the last 2 years. So you essentially pay 10+mil for someone as effective as kadri who is going to take pp time away from Matthews.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Ya adding a bottom pairing Dman and Tavares is going to stop Boston from scorching us with 7 goals in the playoffs. Makes sense.

Btw, Kadri has similar or better points/60mins as Tavares in the last 2 years. So you essentially pay 10+mil for someone as effective as kadri who is going to take pp time away from Matthews.

So hang on you don't think that part of Bostons success against us this past playoffs has anything to do with Matthews being shutdown and more of Bostons ability to score against us??? Give you head a shake.

Our demise this past playoffs in part had to do with our horrible defense at times,, but it also had to do with poor goaltending in games and the inability to score because of how Matthews was played. He essentially was none existent the entire series.

Put Tavares in the lineup and yes we essentially beat Boston last year because they wouldn't be matching lines and Chara against Matthews due to the Tavares threat with another line.

Sorry I agree we need better goaltending and defensive work by the entire team when it counts. But to say Tavares would not make a difference or would have made a difference against Boston is plain stupid.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit

I dont know with certainty they were willing to part with a draft pick, ill have to call Wilson lol. In the meantime, I'm operating under an assumption heavily implied by The fact that they bought him out. This implies they highly value short term cap space. They could have saved more cap space this and next year by trading a pick.

I would have to reference similar cap dumps to get an idea of how high the pick would have been.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Gards doesn't get you the 10th with only a year left on his deal. Also, Oilers are specifically looking for a RD same as the Leafs, so they aren't the right partner in any case. Sparks is a goalie so not sure that a team looking for D pays a special value for him. Oilers paid 2nd. 3rd and 7th for Talbot who had a way better established value. A late 3rd is maybe the best Sparks brings until he shows some NHL success. The Oilers wouldn't need to retain anything on Nuge to find a deal and they value their cap space. He doesn't really seem to be on the market, because of their lack of top 6 depth, but at $4M they would probably ask for Willie back.
My bad I meant to just ask plain for sparks worth

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I dont know with certainty they were willing to part with a draft pick, ill have to call Wilson lol. In the meantime, I'm operating under an assumption heavily implied by The fact that they bought him out. This implies they highly value short term cap space. They could have saved more cap space this and next year by trading a pick.

I would have to reference similar cap dumps to get an idea of how high the pick would have been.

I'd rather keep the flexibility than take on a 4.85M cap hit for maybe a 4th round pick or something.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I'd rather keep the flexibility than take on a 4.85M cap hit for maybe a 4th round pick or something.
Agreed. The Leafs are now at the point where cap space is as valuable(more?) than a mid round draft pick.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
So hang on you don't think that part of Bostons success against us this past playoffs has anything to do with Matthews being shutdown and more of Bostons ability to score against us??? Give you head a shake.

Our demise this past playoffs in part had to do with our horrible defense at times,, but it also had to do with poor goaltending in games and the inability to score because of how Matthews was played. He essentially was none existent the entire series.

Put Tavares in the lineup and yes we essentially beat Boston last year because they wouldn't be matching lines and Chara against Matthews due to the Tavares threat with another line.

Sorry I agree we need better goaltending and defensive work by the entire team when it counts. But to say Tavares would not make a difference or would have made a difference against Boston is plain stupid.

So you're plan is to continue to let in 4.15 GAA in the playoffs and pray that adding Tavares ensures we score 5 goals /game

Thats f***ing Genius.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Need some trades
Soon.

bettman1216.jpg

gary-bettman-trade-we-have-a-trade-to-announce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events