Fredrik Olausson

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Television quality back then wasn't anywhere near as bad as it appears in that Jets video I shared.

Old VHS taped likely recorded in EP or SLP mode weren't great to begin with. Stick them in a different VHS player that hasn't had it's tracking adjusted to match the original tape will magnify the problem. Transferring it to a digital format of spurious quality is the final nail in the coffin.

Even watching Shaw on the standard definition channels today looks brutal. The video quality back in the 60's-90's was perfectly fine. My parents have Beta tapes that look as good as the day they were recorded.

Watching some of this old footage looks as though the original signal was grabbed with "rabbit ears." It's the tapes that haven't stood the test of time.

This extends to professional video as well. A good portion of Canadian music videos no longer exist or are of putridly bad quality. For instance the best known existing copy of Platinum Blonde's "It Doesn't Really Matter" looks like this. Just worked with the band last month and have Mark Holmes digging thru his memorabilia trying to find a better one. No luck as of yet.

Yes, the poor recording quality makes it look a lot worse that it was...but we had a particularly blurry TV in the early 80s that looked similar to the Youtube clips from that era.

I'm surprised old music videos aren't on Beta - I thought that was the format used in the industry.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes, the poor recording quality makes it look a lot worse that it was...but we had a particularly blurry TV in the early 80s that looked similar to the Youtube clips from that era.

I'm surprised old music videos aren't on Beta - I thought that was the format used in the industry.

They were on Beta, but allegedly distributers and tv stations purged without backing many up, assuming the labels had masters. In the US their videography is intact and for Canadian artists that had international hits their body of work is unaffected. In Canada A&R reps for Warner, Sony, EMI & Universal trashed much of this content, particularly around the time that all the mass mergers began that created the "Big Four" labels, I just listed. There was a time when catalogue music wasn't as commercially successful as it is now. On that subject 2017 was the first year ever where catalogue recordings outsold new releases.

In fighting between artists & labels coupled will a basic lack of interest in this matter from the general public doesn't help.

Simply getting Canadian charts was enough of a fight. I played a role in getting the Library of Archives in Canada to finally scan their issues of RPM magazine for the Canadian public. Until that point in time US charts were most peoples only access to the chart histories of past hits and Billboard Magazine / Neilson have only been involved tabulating Canadian Charts since 2000.

Artists like Tu, Mitsou, FM, The Spoons, The Payola$, Rock & Hyde, Streetheart & hundreds of others are virtually non existant on video. Better copies may still exist sitting in a box of someone's old TV recordings of "Good Rockin' Tonight" or Much Music, but as of now there's a vast array of videos that are missing or are of poor quality.

Best known video copy of Streetheart "Under My Thumb"...I'd personally asked Kenny dozens of time for this before he passed and he swore he had one somewhere, but the time involved finding it for the pennies (if any) in royalties he'd get back wasn't worth his time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Artists like Tu, Mitsou, FM, The Spoons, The Payola$, Rock & Hyde, Streetheart & hundreds of others are virtually non existant on video. Better copies may still exist sitting in a box of someone's old TV recordings of "Good Rockin' Tonight" or Much Music, but as of now there's a vast array of videos that are missing or are of poor quality

FM was one of my favorite bands in early adulthood. Probably heresy to some but I thought they were better than Rush. I still have an old vinyl copy of Black Noise somewhere in my basement. Probably some extra wear on the title track and Phasors on Stun from playing them over and over. Found a concert video of them, still looking and sounding great 30 years after their heyday. Well, except for Nash the Slash RIP. :(

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
They were on Beta, but allegedly distributers and tv stations purged without backing many up, assuming the labels had masters. In the US their videography is intact and for Canadian artists that had international hits their body of work is unaffected. In Canada A&R reps for Warner, Sony, EMI & Universal trashed much of this content, particularly around the time that all the mass mergers began that created the "Big Four" labels, I just listed. There was a time when catalogue music wasn't as commercially successful as it is now. On that subject 2017 was the first year ever where catalogue recordings outsold new releases.

In fighting between artists & labels coupled will a basic lack of interest in this matter from the general public doesn't help.

Simply getting Canadian charts was enough of a fight. I played a role in getting the Library of Archives in Canada to finally scan their issues of RPM magazine for the Canadian public. Until that point in time US charts were most peoples only access to the chart histories of past hits and Billboard Magazine / Neilson have only been involved tabulating Canadian Charts since 2000.

Artists like Tu, Mitsou, FM, The Spoons, The Payola$, Rock & Hyde, Streetheart & hundreds of others are virtually non existant on video. Better copies may still exist sitting in a box of someone's old TV recordings of "Good Rockin' Tonight" or Much Music, but as of now there's a vast array of videos that are missing or are of poor quality.

Best known video copy of Streetheart "Under My Thumb"...I'd personally asked Kenny dozens of time for this before he passed and he swore he had one somewhere, but the time involved finding it for the pennies (if any) in royalties he'd get back wasn't worth his time.

Yes that right. Typically the stations and professionals used betacam, (not betamax) which was a very high quality recording. Ironically, better than most video today. But the vast majority of these recordings are long gone.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yes that right. Typically the stations and professionals used betacam, (not betamax) which was a very high quality recording. Ironically, better than most video today. But the vast majority of these recordings are long gone.
the Death By Popcorn guys sourced their Jets footage by dumpster diving the CKY dumpster. they threw out all the old tapes

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

This was one of my favourite covers of all time.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Not by a long shot. Even the HDCAM variant has a lower resolution and chroma/luma sampling than video that's shot today.
But most video shot today isn't done with professional level equipment. I'm comparing apples and oranges yes.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
My strongest memory of Fredrik Olausson has nothing to do with hockey.

While he was a Jet, his wife gave birth to their first child at St. Boniface Hospital. Tragically, the child did not live.

Not long after, my wife and I were at St. Boniface Hospital for the birth of our first child. One of the pieces of equipment my wife was attached to (blood pressure/pulse monitor maybe?) had a little plaque on it that said it had been donated to the hospital by Fredrik Olausson and his wife (I forget her name) in thanks for their service.

It kind of choked me up. I'll always think kindly of him because of that.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Freddie was awesome. Definitely not a physical guy - played the game like Enstrom, more offense, less defense. A good all round defenesman, especially in that era where defense usually left a lot to be desired (hello Shawn Cronin and good night Jim Kyte)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->