1990 after trading Ducky

Defence was;

Housley
Ellet
Numinenn
Freddy O
Randy Caryle
Moe Mantha

At the beginning of the season the newspapers were saying that we would have to generate alot of offence from the back end as Ducky leaving left a big hole.

20 games in....

Dave Ellett

to Toronto for

Olcyck and Leeman

Don't think this is right. Leeman was traded by Toronto to Calgary in the Doug Gilmour trade... I believe it was Mark Osborne that came over with Eddie-O.

Reactions: untouchable21

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Don't think this is right. Leeman was traded by Toronto to Calgary in the Doug Gilmour trade... I believe it was Mark Osborne that came over with Eddie-O.
Yep, Leeman was never a Jet.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He had two seasons with 62 points, one with 57 and another with 55. This guy was a flat out stud back in the day. he probably made like $300k per season back in the day. He'd be a $7-8 million AAV per season in this day and age.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
little known fact:
Fast Freddy Olausson helped write the Jets unofficial anthem, "Shooooot!"

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Another little known fact.. Oh-luff-son's name was actually pronounced Oh-lah-ooo-sun.

Where the "uff" ever came from is beyond me. There's no "f" even in the name.

Why players allows sports announcers to butcher their names is beyond me.

BUY-FOOG-LEE-IN

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Another little known fact.. Oh-luff-son's name was actually pronounced Oh-lah-ooo-sun.

BUY-FOOG-LEE-IN

I honestly don't recall hearing him referred to as Oluffson. That's brutal.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I honestly don't recall hearing him referred to as Oluffson. That's brutal.

Found an example on my first attempt looking & with him playing forward as well!

Goals at 1:45, but it takes 30 seconds for them to say his name during the replay. It's repeated at 2:33 and then whenever he touches the puck the remainder of the highlites.

Pretty sure both the Friar & Keilback pronounced it that way as well.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Found an example on my first attempt looking & with him playing forward as well!

Goals at 1:45, but it takes 30 seconds for them to say his name during the replay. It's repeated at 2:33 and then whenever he touches the puck the remainder of the highlites.

Nice find, good grief that's terrible. I always pronounced it with the s, I can believe Friar used the F but I'd be a bit surprised if Keilback did. For all the years I listened to the Jets on the radio while delivering pizza, I simply can't recall that.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
little known fact:
Fast Freddy Olausson helped write the Jets unofficial anthem, "Shooooot!"
The only time I ever yelled "shooot"! At the old barn was when post 1986 Steve Smith came to town.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Nice find, good grief that's terrible. I always pronounced it with the s, I can believe Friar used the F but I'd be a bit surprised if Keilback did. For all the years I listened to the Jets on the radio while delivering pizza, I simply can't recall that.

Way back when, I recall a broadcaster asking Olausson in his first year how to pronounce the name & he said Oh-La-Ooo-Son. One of only two times I ever heard it pronounced that way.

A number of years later at Wise Guys, a number of Jets were in the bar. Would have been 1993-ish as The Marble Club had just been rebranded as Wise Guys & ex-jet Perry Miller was the owner, so the Jets were prone to support his club. Freddie among other Jets were behaving themselves at the bar while Tkachuk & Domi disappeared down the freight elevator.

I'd spent a few years correcting friends when they pronounced Olausson's name so they insisted I approach him and prove it. He reiterated Oh-La-Ooo-Son & I drank free Long Island Ice Tea's the remainder of the night.

Reactions: ps241 and HannuJ

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
freight elevator?
I was up in the boonies that night too.
Man was it shaking and vibrating up there. The most satisfying game I have ever attended. Just juiced too.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

ah yes, back in the day when potatoes were used to film games....

you appreciate how hockey nowadays in literally 10x better skillwise than it used to be. Gretz's assist was lovely. the rest of the plays? not so much.

man, those Jets' rosters were awful

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

BUY-FOOG-LEE-IN

Mark Wheeler .. :huh: never mind mispronounced but totally wrong

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Way back when, I recall a broadcaster asking Olausson in his first year how to pronounce the name & he said Oh-La-Ooo-Son. One of only two times I ever heard it pronounced that way.

A number of years later at Wise Guys, a number of Jets were in the bar. Would have been 1993-ish as The Marble Club had just been rebranded as Wise Guys & ex-jet Perry Miller was the owner, so the Jets were prone to support his club. Freddie among other Jets were behaving themselves at the bar while Tkachuk & Domi disappeared down the freight elevator.

I'd spent a few years correcting friends when they pronounced Olausson's name so they insisted I approach him and prove it. He reiterated Oh-La-Ooo-Son & I drank free Long Island Ice Tea's the remainder of the night.
what were they doing in the basement? wait, never mind.
so did you get to witness the infamous night where Walt lit up the $100 to light a cigar?
i was 18 at the time, but i heard a few Walt stories. I will always wonder if the story about him and Dallas Drake and the pick-up truck in the country was true.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Played on the powerplay most of the time. Had one of the hardest slapshots but couldn't keep it on the ice or on the net so no one could benefit from tip-ins or deflections.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
1990 after trading Ducky

Defence was;

Housley
Ellet
Numinenn
Freddy O
Randy Caryle
Moe Mantha

At the beginning of the season the newspapers were saying that we would have to generate alot of offence from the back end as Ducky leaving left a big hole.

20 games in....

Dave Ellett

to Toronto for

Olcyck and Leeman

FYI Leeman was traded to Calgary in the Gilmour deal. It was Mark Osborne who came to the Jets with Eddie O

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
ah yes, back in the day when potatoes were used to film games....

you appreciate how hockey nowadays in literally 10x better skillwise than it used to be. Gretz's assist was lovely. the rest of the plays? not so much.

man, those Jets' rosters were awful
I don't know how I managed to watch games on TV back then on our old 21" blurry RCA. Then we upgraded to a 27" Zenith - now that was living! :laugh:

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't know how I managed to watch games on TV back then on our old 21" blurry RCA. Then we upgraded to a 27" Zenith - now that was living! :laugh:

Television quality back then wasn't anywhere near as bad as it appears in that Jets video I shared.

Old VHS taped likely recorded in EP or SLP mode weren't great to begin with. Stick them in a different VHS player that hasn't had it's tracking adjusted to match the original tape will magnify the problem. Transferring it to a digital format of spurious quality is the final nail in the coffin.

Even watching Shaw on the standard definition channels today looks brutal. The video quality back in the 60's-90's was perfectly fine. My parents have Beta tapes that look as good as the day they were recorded.

Watching some of this old footage looks as though the original signal was grabbed with "rabbit ears." It's the tapes that haven't stood the test of time.

This extends to professional video as well. A good portion of Canadian music videos no longer exist or are of putridly bad quality. For instance the best known existing copy of Platinum Blonde's "It Doesn't Really Matter" looks like this. Just worked with the band last month and have Mark Holmes digging thru his memorabilia trying to find a better one. No luck as of yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad