Fredrik Olausson

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Do any of you guys remember this player?

How good was he? What did he bring to the ice? Was he physical?

Just asking out of curiosity.

4978-1207654Fr.jpg

Naturaledge

Dec 31, 2013
I remember him well. He had a monster shot. Very likeable guy. Not physical at all.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Yeah, I remember him. He was a pretty good defenseman for the Jets. He wasn't really big, rather slender body type. He was pretty mobile and a finesse type of player. What I remember most is the expression he had on his face while playing. Looked like he was always smiling.

Reactions: Hobby Bull and Ares

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Good player but soft as butter. His shot always sounded great when it hit the boards.
Or the guy in the 31st row behind the net. In the days before netting behind the goal, you had to keep your head up if you were sitting above the glass when Freddie wound up.

Hard to find a volunteer to stand in front of the net on the PP when he was on the point.

If people think Enstrom was soft, they would have never survived Olausson, lol.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He was one of my faves...great offensive d-man! He was one notch below Phil Housley, but IIRC he played on the PP.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Or the guy in the 31st row behind the net. In the days before netting behind the goal, you had to keep your head up if you were sitting above the glass when Freddie wound up.

Hard to find a volunteer to stand in front of the net on the PP when he was on the point.

You remember this too, eh? We used to sit in the 7-11 seats & quite a few people were taken out by Olausson shots just a few rows down from these seats up by the Queen. Ushers who had their backs to the play began getting nervous after one of them got hit.

Olausson could have been the poster boy for the reason netting went up.

Anyways Olausson was great! In addition to defence, he played a bit of forward as well.

He was a member of our "Fab Four" alongside Ellett, Numminen & Housley.

Reactions: Ducky10

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I remember Olausson well. Partially because he played the power play with Housley, partially because he was completed garbage in his own zone and partially because his snapshot had a better chance of landing in lake winnipeg as opposed to the opposition's net.

But truly shocking was one of the Detroit teams Lidstrom was his defence partner and they won a cup with him. That is a testament to how great Lidstrom was.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Maybe a couple of notches below Housley. Housley was like a playmaking centre on D.

And a HOFer. Olausson maybe has a case for the waiver wire HOF, but that's about it.

Definitely a soft player, but I don't remember him being bad defensively. He could poke check like a champ.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Freddie heard footsteps behind him ALL the time.
Gread O but shat for D.

edit ... Numminen is one of my all time favorite Jets. He played 19 or 20 seasons and was a really smart D man. We could use him on the right side this upcoming season.

Reactions: Naturaledge

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012

I was actually hit in the forehead/bridge of the nose from a freddy shot when I was around 8. It was deflected but wammo, right in the head. I had a cherry slushy at the time and it went every where amd everyone thought it was blood!
I got a dirty rag for my bleeding nose and a exit in the first period..... urgh lol

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I was actually hit in the forehead/bridge of the nose from a freddy shot when I was around 8. It was deflected but wammo, right in the head. I had a cherry slushy at the time and it went every where amd everyone thought it was blood!
I got a dirty rag for my bleeding nose and a exit in the first period..... urgh lol
Dang, these days they'd give you a few grand worth of merch and a fistful of tickets for not suing.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Olaufson across toHousley up the wing to sElaney was set play to beat trap I remember reading back in the day.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
When Freddy had a good game he was very good, but when he had a bad game he was very bad. Plus keep your head on a swivel as a forward in front of the net when Freddy is shooting from the point......he tended to shoot a lot of high hard shots.....often missing the net. Completely none physical player. I have his rookie card.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
1990 after trading Ducky

Defence was;

Housley
Ellet
Numinenn
Freddy O
Randy Caryle
Moe Mantha

At the beginning of the season the newspapers were saying that we would have to generate alot of offence from the back end as Ducky leaving left a big hole.

20 games in....

Dave Ellett

to Toronto for

Olcyck and Leeman

Steenager

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
For whatever reason, Olausson was my absolute favourite player as an early-90s pre-teen.

Still remember that he was from Vaxjo, Sweden.

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->