Player Discussion Fredrik Claesson - Title Pending

Master Kush

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
He looked like a top four guy in the playoffs. He was one of the best sens D against pittsburgh, especially in game 7.

I wouldn't mind if they got a stop gap vet LD with 1-3 years left on their contract though. This will let some of the young guys ease into the lineup.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm projecting Claesson to be a 2-3 dman in this league, better than both Methot and Ceci. Really glad Vegas didn't take him.

I also think Harpur's days in the NHL are numbered. He plays scared.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm projecting Claesson to be a 2-3 dman in this league, better than both Methot and Ceci. Really glad Vegas didn't take him.

Huh?

Harpur showed fantastic poise as a young rookie. I didn't see anything that resembled him being scared, the opposite actually. He was too casual at times, not scared. He was one of our guys who would actually try and make a solid play rather than dump it off the boards and give it back to the opposition.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Huh?

Harpur showed fantastic poise as a young rookie. I didn't see anything that resembled him being scared, the opposite actually. He was too casual at times, not scared. He was one of our guys who would actually try and make a solid play rather than dump it off the boards and give it back to the opposition.

Yeah, remember against NYR when he rushed the puck on net from the defensive zone? No hesitation. The coach was losing his mind, but it was awesome

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Both Harpur and Claesson showed a lot of promise in the playoffs.

Absolutely. For some reason on this board and some media members good young players are only good young players on other teams. Go into camp and give all these guys a chance, there's quite a bit of depth to try. There's depth here to try up and down the lineup. If it's clear it's not working look outside at that time.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Further to my comment above: I'm really hoping the Sens can sign Michael Stone to be the 3rd pair RD. Upgrading on Wideman will allow the Sens to scale back Ceci's minutes and also allow Karlsson to ease up a bit, especially as he recovers from injury. Stone would also replace some of Methot's PK minutes and would be a steady partner for a rookie LD like Chabot.

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Stone
*Harpur

With Karlsson probably missing all of training camp and the beginning of the season, there will be a steep learning curve once he is back to see who fits where. Until he does return I'd suspect Phaneuf plays the RD side (?) on the 2nd pairing and Ceci steps up. Stone would be an interesting edition, but Jaros plays the RD side as does Wideman if Dorion does not add, so Wideman probably keeps his slot if Dorion does not.

RD side of Ceci, Phaneuf, Wideman could be starting the season. That is pretty tough. Take until end of November to figure things out once he's back I'd guess...

LD side will be stressed as a result as well. Claesson, Harpur, Chabot, Englund will have a chance to show what they can do. Borowiecki likely sticks as the 3rd RD guy.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario

I saw somewhere that he was told to not fight last year. If Harpur wants to stick around, just play like your size. He needs to be mean and rough people up in front of the net.

Did either of you watch the playoffs? For a rookie, Harpur did really well.

What do you want Harpur to be, the next coming of Boro? At least the guy can play the puck, and not be a minor PIM machine.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, remember against NYR when he rushed the puck on net from the defensive zone? No hesitation. The coach was losing his mind, but it was awesome
Yep its that poise, that comes with a 6.6 ft and growing frame .That has me very intrigued,kid has no fear with the puck .
I think he may be something pretty special :nod:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah no need to pick one or die on a hill who am I kidding claessen is better will always be better

I like Claesson a lot more than Harpur. But Harpur definitely made me think he's got what it takes to be in the NHL.

Yes he didn't look all that great against the Rangers and barely played (if at all?) against the Penguins but those were rough matchups for a guy who plays a physical brand of hockey.

That he had a hard time in those situations, considering where he is at in his development, isn't really concerning.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I like Claesson a lot more than Harpur. But Harpur definitely made me think he's got what it takes to be in the NHL.

Yes he didn't look all that great against the Rangers and barely played (if at all?) against the Penguins but those were rough matchups for a guy who plays a physical brand of hockey.

That he had a hard time in those situations, considering where he is at in his development, isn't really concerning.

Nah I'm not concerned. Claessen has the higher ceiling I personally believe though.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Hoping he doesn't play much next year. He's a warrior, but he doesn't have the discipline or the decision making to work in Guy's system.

I don't know how much these types of players will do in Guy's system. We could see Boro moved out at some point as well. Neil certainly didn't seem like much of a fan of Boucher based on his comments at the end of the season

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I am going to have to watch Claesson more closely. I am not seeing play that would warrant the type of praise and projection people are giving him. Not that he looked bad but I have not seen him as a legit top 4 guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->