Confirmed with Link: Frederik Gauthier signs a 2 year 2-way contract

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What? He used his body a fair amount when in the NHL. He even fought and crushed some guys pretty good. I was shocked he was pretty physical although not Martin level. He more used his size along the wall, heck he even drove to the net like a power forward a couple times.

not as much as Babcock wants and if you watched him in the Marlies it was an issue post injury.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Its too bad he hasnt carved out a role yet. He even played on the Canadian Juniors as a big shut down guy. Just hasnt seemed to have ever found his footing in the big leagues. Im guessing marlies for the goat though. He'll be in tough to beat out Jorris & Lindholm for the 4C

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
He's looked really solid so far.

At 5v5

55.37 CF%
100% GF% (2 GF, 0 GA)
53.49 xGF%

He doesn't have the shooting talent to actually score goals, but if he can keep other teams pinned down in their own zone for extended periods of time, tiring the opposing team out while giving our stars a minute or so to recover, I'd say that's more than enough. The biggest surprise of the year for me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's looked really solid so far.

At 5v5

55.37 CF%
100% GF% (2 GF, 0 GA)
53.49 xGF%

He doesn't have the shooting talent to actually score goals, but if he can keep other teams pinned down in their own zone for extended periods of time, tiring the opposing team out while giving our stars a minute or so to recover, I'd say that's more than enough. The biggest surprise of the year for me.

Always liked him and he is exactly where I pretty much always said he would be. I can't imagine that changing any time soon either (No reason)

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Always liked him and he is exactly where I pretty much always said he would be. I can't imagine that changing any time soon either (No reason)

I never liked him, and thought he was a bad pick and a bust. But I'm happy he is doing well, and hope he can keep it up.

He deserves nothing but credit for his game so far, in my opinion.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
He has shown that he can be a competent defensive center in the NHL. Not a player I'd personally pick in the first round, but that's also not his fault. Kudos to Goat for putting the work in.

Reactions: zaqq and thewave

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I love the new 4th line with GOAT and Leivo. They bring a heavy forechecking cycle each shift that wears opponents down beautifully. They don't have the talent of Johnsson-Kapanen from last year's playoffs but are just as exciting to watch.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
To use a word I read above, he is playing heavier than I ever thought he could. If he keeps it up, remember big heavy forwards aren't required to fight any longer, he can be potentially useful. And there is no reason that he can't add some more skill in meantime.

Reactions: bansheebeat

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm glad they're giving him a chance. He was never going to reach another level of play in the AHL, and NHL experience is the only thing that's going to allow him to develop into the prototypical fourth line center he could be. All he's got to do is PK, win faceoffs and not get scored on for 5-10 minutes a night, and if he can do those things at a high level, then he can actually be a valuable piece for this team regardless of how many points he puts up.

If you want to see an exaggerated example of what he can be, go rewatch the gold medal WJ game he was a part of. Once Canada had a lead at the end of the second, he and Reinhart pretty much took every other faceoff and completely shut the rest of the game down. He'll never be as dominant in the NHL as we saw there, but it demonstrates the value of a guy like him.

That said, I do wish he'd use his body more. I don't mean throwing hits, but just asserting himself and taking whatever space he wants. He seems to "play down" to everyone else instead of making them deal with the fact that he's a giant.

Last edited:

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I'm glad they're giving him a chance. He was never going to reach another level of play in the AHL, and NHL experience is the only thing that's going to allow him to develop into the prototypical fourth line center he could be. All he's got to do is PK, win faceoffs and not get scored on for 5-10 minutes a night, and if he can do those things at a high level, then he can actually be a valuable piece for this team regardless of whether how many points he puts up.

If you want to see an exaggerated example of what he can be, go rewatch the gold medal WJ game he was a part of. Once Canada had a lead at the end of the second, he and Reinhart pretty much took every other faceoff and completely shut the rest of the game down. He'll never be as dominant in the NHL as we saw there, but it demonstrates the value of a guy like him.

That said, I do wish he'd use his body more. I don't mean throwing hits, but just asserting himself and taking whatever space he wants. He seems to "play down" to everyone else instead of making them deal with the fact that he's a giant.

I tend to agree, but will add that I've seen more of this from him so far this year. He's used his body like Marner does, except... Well, Babcock said it best.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
When they called him up last year for the extended run, I thought he would stick. For whatever reason his play just got worse and worse, and I really thought that could well be his last chance. Fast forward to now, colour me a tad surprised, in a positive way. He’s been fine, just get that face off percentage up and it’s all good.

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I've been on the Gauthier sucks train for a few years now, but he's been super solid in his role this year. I gotta give it to him, I thought he was done. He still might be, but so far he's been solid.

Reactions: Ulysses31

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
He seems more willing to use his body to win puck battles, and has been able to use that to generate a cycle game in the offensive zone. He'll never put up points, but if he can play in the other teams zone more often than not, that's all you can ask out of a 4th line C.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Like I've been saying for years (we're now five years removed from this pick!), decent fourth NHL liners are good AHLers, and great CHLers. This was never going to work.

Actually good NHL 4th liner Brian Boyle put up nearly 1ppg at the same age in the AHL as Freddie.
I'm going to issue a mea culpa -- Goat has been very, very good in his limited but difficult '18-19 deployment. 38 ZSR, but has managed to help carry play (55% CF). His play cycling in the offensive zone has been excellent. I don't care if he never scores a point for the rest of his NHL career if he plays like he has in the first part of this season.

Reactions: Eb

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I now hate him. Why? Because I seen the green confirmed with link and thought it was about Nylander.

Joking aside, he has done well and it would be nice if he could stabilize that 4C role for awhile.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I'm glad they're giving him a chance. He was never going to reach another level of play in the AHL, and NHL experience is the only thing that's going to allow him to develop into the prototypical fourth line center he could be. All he's got to do is PK, win faceoffs and not get scored on for 5-10 minutes a night, and if he can do those things at a high level, then he can actually be a valuable piece for this team regardless of how many points he puts up.

He is really looking like a solid 4th liner right now.
Still the issue I have with his game is he only halfheartedly throwing hits. I dont want him to throw more hits necessarily, but he seems to not really throw his weight or size into the hits hes already making. For a guy his size and weight who is skating pretty well, when he makes contact you should be hearing it when he goes shoulder to shoulder with a D into the boards.

A guy like Kadri, Hyman and even Kap this year explode through the checks.
If he can learn to just have a bit more snarl he could be really useful as a 4C shutdown but also a solid energy line guy.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Really happy with his play 4th line pursuit and fore check has good playing times in the offense zone, I notice his foot speed getting better as his confidence in his knee grows from that awful injury, I really hope he pots a few and confidence in every aspect of the game abounds in him @ 6'5 they don't grow on trees and would be nice and I hope he is a keeper

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I have definitely not been a fan of his so far until the season, but he’s actually look pretty good in his numbers look fine too. Hoping he definitively prove me wrong by season to end. His TOI has gradually increased the last couple games too

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Hes who i wanted them to take in the draft so glad hes making progress. Hope he can be the main stay 4C. Wish he would play with a bit more snarl but keep playing good hockey and he'll be ok.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Goat (and the whole 4th line) has been great this year! Great possession, lots of quality shifts, responsible defensively. Really playing within himself, and doing exactly what he's being asked to do.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Gauthier just seems so calm and confident this year. A big change from his last callups, where he was stumbling and looking lost. I think he has done about as well as the Leafs could hope at the 4th line this year. Hope he can keep it up, because that would solve the burning question of the #4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad