Confirmed with Link: Frederik Gauthier signs a 2 year 2-way contract

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wondeR if he regrets not choosing Harvard.

Its an interesting question. Hes made a few hundred thousand in his career so far, which is well above the norm for a guy in his early 20s, though a full ride at Harvard likely would have been worth close to 250k on its own.

If I was a middling prospect but got the opportunity to play for a top US college I’d likely opt for that over the chl-AHL route, but that’s just me.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Its an interesting question. Hes made a few hundred thousand in his career so far, which is well above the norm for a guy in his early 20s, though a full ride at Harvard likely would have been worth close to 250k on its own.

If I was a middling prospect but got the opportunity to play for a top US college I’d likely opt for that over the chl-AHL route, but that’s just me.

But has he made that much? He is on 2 way contracts.....

I wonder if he gets to take summer classes

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Love the Goat, despite his lack of NHL ceiling .. Centre depth is solid

He did have that injury he was recovering from earlier in the season, and did well for the Marlies in the playoffs. I'm skeptical of his NHL chances however I like to be surprised.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

He did have that injury he was recovering from earlier in the season, and did well for the Marlies in the playoffs. I'm skeptical of his NHL chances however I like to be surprised.

I don't think we're going to be rolling four lines as much anymore. If Gauthier can just be strong on the PK and on draws, there's a role there for him.

You'd have to have another depth center though, because he probably couldn't move up lineup in an injury situation.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hope someone claims him when they send him down. Way too many chances for a player who will never play for this hockey team just because they drafted him in the first round.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think that Gauthier could theoretically slot in perfectly the way we're set up down the middle. Give him limited high energy minutes at even strength, run him out there on the PK, and I think he could be effective.

He would have to win a job over Lindholm of course, but I hope he can eventually find his niche on the big club.

Reactions: Cobra777

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hope someone claims him when they send him down. Way too many chances for a player who will never play for this hockey team just because they drafted him in the first round.

He's survived 3 management groups. Rychel did not even make it through 1 after being specifically acquired and was originally drafted above him. He's obviously doing something right beyond where he has been drafted.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I think that Gauthier could theoretically slot in perfectly the way we're set up down the middle. Give him limited high energy minutes at even strength, run him out there on the PK, and I think he could be effective.

He would have to win a job over Lindholm of course, but I hope he can eventually find his niche on the big club.
I believe that both Gauthier and Lindholm can play left wing as well as centre. I would not be surprised if both make the team and the fourth line is used exclusively for penalty killing and defensive situations.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
happy for the Goat, unlike others here I think he can play in the NHL, maybe not with the Leafs, but I think he gets plucked off waivers if it comes to that.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Goat has been told by Babs if comes to camp in shape at a certain weight and has a good camp he will be Leafs 4th line centre. He wants him to be his faceoff guy that he can rely on defensively. I have heard this at Ricoh from several Marlie dads who i know. Whether or not you like his skating i don't but he will very likely be on Leafs to start year. So lets support him as we need a top end faceoff guy.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He's got a legit shot at winning the 4th line spot.

The only other centreman on the roster that spent any time on the PK last season is Tavares. I'm sure he could be used again, but Matthews played a total of 1:33 for the entire season & Kadri played 42 seconds total.

If he shows well in camp, he's got a real shot at it. His skating has improved since being drafted, but he needs to play angrier.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He's got a legit shot at winning the 4th line spot.

The only other centreman on the roster that spent any time on the PK last season is Tavares. I'm sure he could be used again, but Matthews played a total of 1:33 for the entire season & Kadri played 42 seconds total.

If he shows well in camp, he's got a real shot at it. His skating has improved since being drafted, but he needs to play angrier.
I hope this is true, but I just don't believe it.

The telltale signs for me are the low contract value and the two-way salary. These features make him much less likely to clear waivers. Its as if the Leafs have resigned themselves to clear the contract spot and let him go if he doesn't make the big club from the get-go. Que sera, sera.

The other thing is the reference in other posts to his use in a low-TOI, high-energy role. The low TOI I get -- PK and mop-up time playing behind Matthews, Tavares and Kadri. Its the "high-energy" bit that puzzles me. For all the things I love about this guy (and there are many), when I watch him play I often wish I could turn the game to fast-forward and put some broken glass up his ass. He looks like he needs to play at twice the speed, with twice the energy, and with ten-times the anger and urgency in his pulse. If he could turn that up, he would look like King Kong on skates. Without it, he looks like Fozzie Bear.

I've waited and hoped for this kid's arrival since the day he was drafted, but he's no longer exempt and que sera, sera.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I hope this is true, but I just don't believe it.

The telltale signs for me are the low contract value and the two-way salary. These features make him much less likely to clear waivers. Its as if the Leafs have resigned themselves to clear the contract spot and let him go if he doesn't make the big club from the get-go. Que sera, sera.

The other thing is the reference in other posts to his use in a low-TOI, high-energy role. The low TOI I get -- PK and mop-up time playing behind Matthews, Tavares and Kadri. Its the "high-energy" bit that puzzles me. For all the things I love about this guy (and there are many), when I watch him play I often wish I could turn the game to fast-forward and put some broken glass up his ass. He looks like he needs to play at twice the speed, with twice the energy, and with ten-times the anger and urgency in his pulse. If he could turn that up, he would look like King Kong on skates. Without it, he looks like Fozzie Bear.

I've waited and hoped for this kid's arrival since the day he was drafted, but he's no longer exempt and que sera, sera.

Yeah, I think that's the likely case as to what happens.

He'll definitely get a chance with the big club. My guess is they keep Jooris, Lindholm & Gauthier for the last few exhibition games this year and give the spot to whoever wins it.

If he can't find out by now, there's no sense in holding on to a guy that is likely to be only a 4th line centreman.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

There is going to be a weird Three Kings thing with the club the next couple of seasons. Babs is a moron if he doesn't play AM, JT, and NK at least 54 minutes a night if not more. What sort of a #4 center would thrive on less than 6 minutes TOI? While I believe the Leafs to be one of the softest clubs in the league, you can't alter that in 6 minutes a night. They need to find someone who has the energy to play at a ridiculous pace for less than 10 minutes a night, and leave it all on the ice. Not that Goat has either aggression or speed, but I don't see him being a fit for that niche role, even if his game develops further. For the price, of course you re-sign him, but I am dropping him on the Habs for a pick the first chance I get.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Interesting they gave him a 2-year given his development. Maybe they are rolling the dice that they'll get some cheap depth at the centre position in year 2 when the cap crunch starts.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I haven't given up on Freddy yet...Looking at Brian Boyle's career he turned 25 a few months into his first full season and only put up 4 goals and 2 assists in 71 games...If I remember correctly he didn't improve his skating until his late 20's. I'm not saying the goat is going to be Brian Boyle for sure but if he does get into that category I'd be fine with that. I doubt that they gave him that contract just to be picked up on waivers by another team so I would think he has a good shot as the 4th line center this coming season. ( or possibly on the wing)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->