Prospect Info: Frederik Dichow Nissen (Signs 2 Year Deal w/Frolunda, 2022-2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Haven't seen a right handed catch goalie in Montreal since Theodore
Question for all you guys who've played in nets: is the glove or stick in your "best" hand? As a right hander in all my sporting endeavours, the prospects of any Dramatic Glove Save happening on my left side would be slim to zero.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Question for all you guys who've played in nets: is the glove or stick in your "best" hand? As a right hander in all my sporting endeavours, the prospects of any Dramatic Glove Save happening on my left side would be slim to zero.

Your dominant hand is your stick hand because generally that's the one that is best equipped to handle the weight of the stick and just the same as most shooters are left handed in the NHL, the dominant hand for stickhandling is at the top of the stick for control.

Walrus26

May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Your dominant hand is your stick hand because generally that's the one that is best equipped to handle the weight of the stick and just the same as most shooters are left handed in the NHL, the dominant hand for stickhandling is at the top of the stick for control.
Thanks for the insights..... My brain aches when I force myself to throw and catch left handed. Years of muscle memory would help though I'm sure.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Im left handed but i find my right hand which is my glove hand my best hand while playing goalie maybe from so many years of catching baseballs with that same hand

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I am right handed and shoot right, but when I play goalie in my pickup games, I have to catch left. I can’t stick handle for crap and have to always flip my goal stick around. This is likely due to always catching left in baseball growing up. A catching mitt on my right is completely alien to me.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Chances are, you’ve probably played softball too (pretty common if you’re into sports) so you would throw with your dominant hand (of course) and catch with the other. Which means , as a goalie, you’d catch with the same hand.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Both are possible: I have been a goalies' coach and most of the kids use their baseball catching mits but some will use their dominant hand. It makes for an awkward use of the stick but they learn to use it in a backhand way.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I am right handed and shoot right, but when I play goalie in my pickup games, I have to catch left. I can’t stick handle for crap and have to always flip my goal stick around. This is likely due to always catching left in baseball growing up. A catching mitt on my right is completely alien to me.

Same. I didn't switch my goalie stick though. I am now somewhat ambidextrous now in part because of that. Play tennis on both sides too, less running ahah :thumbu:

Walrus26

May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Chances are, you’ve probably played softball too (pretty common if you’re into sports) so you would throw with your dominant hand (of course) and catch with the other. Which means , as a goalie, you’d catch with the same hand.

No big catching gloves in cricket unless you're the Wicket Keeper. Lots of dislocated fingers though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So I've heard that Sudbury is still trying to bring Dichow over as their starting goalie this season. Guess the big thing will be if he is at the rookie camp in a few weeks, if so maybe he opts to play there but if he's not clearly he's staying in the J20.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Baring a big surprise, it seems that Dichow will play in the J20, would have liked to have seen him in the OHL since I highly doubt I will get to see him play at all in the J20. He should be in the running for the WJ's in early December but not sure if he will make the team or not and if the Div I games will have easy to find streams or not if he does make it.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Frederik Dichow has had a really good start in J20 SuperElit Södra for Malmö IF. He has been the starter in 2 of the first 3 games, and has won both, with a SVS% of 96.67. I know it's a small sample size, and that he is only as good as the team in front of him, but it is still nice to see.
This must also means that he is not going to join the Sudbury Wolves at least this season.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've liked the bits and pieces I've seen of the guy , for what it's worth. He's enormous but he can move and technique wise he's never clumsy or all over the place . We might see more of him a couple years down the road when all is said and done.

Reactions: Adam Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad