Frederick Gauthier looks good as the 4th line center

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Goat looks great. Happy to see him establish himself as the 4th line center so far. :nod:

Honestly, I think he looks even better as a winger who takes faceoffs too. He just barrels down the ice along the boards and really, there's not a lot that can stop him along the sides.

Reactions: saffronleaf

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Trying to recall the "high risk, high reward" pick we didn't take with that 21st pick. Shinkaruk???Looking back, Mantha,Rychel were my hopes but went off the board before the GOAT. so looking like a decent pick now right?

Reactions: Leafs1993

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Honestly always liked him glad it's worked out for him he was just the right piece at the right time. His development curve feel perfectly inline with our needs. Now he's getting to transition from inexperienced to experienced if he plays in the playoffs this year he could easily have 200 total NHL games played over 5 years.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Trying to recall the "high risk, high reward" pick we didn't take with that 21st pick. Shinkaruk???Looking back, Mantha,Rychel were my hopes but went off the board before the GOAT. so looking like a decent pick now right?
Sucks that Mantha was taken just before our pick. But ya, there weren't many good options at our pick. Shinkaruk was the obvious pick at the time. If we went D than Theodore was there.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Goat looks fantastic, he deserves a lot of credit for the work he's put into his skating. Now that he's quick enough to be agressive, he's showing to be a smart player.

OK, GOAT and quick should never be used in the same sentence.

I have been anti GOAT but I have to give him props for last night, the best game I have seen him play as a Leaf.
I don't think he is the long term answer or short term for that matter but if last night was closer to the norm then prove me wrong big fella.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I have to admit that the Goat has looked better this year.

He seems to be getting to the puck faster. Either his quickness has improved or it's a developed sense of anticipation and hockey IQ, or a combination of both.

He's also using his body a bit more to gain space. I also like him parked in the front of the goalie with that big body.

Reactions: Leafsman

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The fact that he is driving to the net and scoring garbage goals(like jamming in rebounds and loose pucks) are stuff he needs to do every night. Glad he is doing well and he just needs to play his size.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015

I have been anti GOAT but I have to give him props for last night, the best game I have seen him play as a Leaf.
I don't think he is the long term answer or short term for that matter but if last night was closer to the norm then prove me wrong big fella.

He said he was "quick enough". Which is true given he looks alot faster compared to last year.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I have to admit that the Goat has looked better this year.

He seems to be getting to the puck faster. Either his quickness has improved or it's a developed sense of anticipation and hockey IQ, or a combination of both.

He's also using his body a bit more to gain space. I also like him parked in the front of the goalie with that big body.
Its definitely his speed has gotten better. You can tell his stride is a lot cleaner and uses his edges better. The acceleration he gets now compared to last year is better. The improved skating has helped him alot to get into better positioning.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

boy ,,you sure do demand a lot from a 4th line sophomore player making the league minimum

too bad you're standards are not as high for those already getting paid and getting all the prime icetime.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
People seem to be unaware that Gautier received a very bad leg injury courtesy Jake(the Douche)Dotchin while playing for the Marlies. Dotchin tried to remove Goat's leg on a blindside foul that nearly ended his career. The rehab for Goat was long and valuable skating development time with Underhill was lost. The fact that he is a much improved skater may surprise many fans but will not surprise management.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As good as Gauthier has looked this season, it was still a waste of a 1st round pick on him. JMHO.

Yeah.

I mean the 2013 draft unfortunately was pretty terrible so at the end of the day getting a 4C is way better than nothing. But as a general rule im not a fan of low ceiling picks

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
As good as Gauthier has looked this season, it was still a waste of a 1st round pick on him. JMHO.

If you look at the rest of that first round, Shea Theodore is the only significantly better player, and then you have similar depth players to Goat in Hartman and Burakovsky.

Hard to call it a waste when there is barely anything else to have had instead.

Reactions: saltming

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
If you look at the rest of that first round, Shea Theodore is the only significantly better player, and then you have similar depth players to Goat in Hartman and Burakovsky.

Hard to call it a waste when there is barely anything else to have had instead.

Totally agree.
Sad Leafs didnt have/get later picks to snag some those sleepers like Guentzel, Pesce, Buch, Bjork...
Sick 3rd rd.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
A late first rounder which resulted in an NHL player in a weak draft. I'd say the Leafs actually did alright here. He was also projected to go exactly where we took him too. I remember mocks where he was going to the Leafs, as unexciting as it was to get a guy seen as a 4th liner at best. Hes slowly turning into Boyle though and we should be happy with that. A player like that will be valuable in a cup run.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
A late first rounder which resulted in an NHL player in a weak draft. I'd say the Leafs actually did alright here. He was also projected to go exactly where we took him too. I remember mocks where he was going to the Leafs, as unexciting as it was to get a guy seen as a 4th liner at best. Hes slowly turning into Boyle though and we should be happy with that. A player like that will be valuable in a cup run.
Shea Theodore would look good on our D right now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->