Frederick Gauthier looks good as the 4th line center

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Man i think it was 4 or 5 years back that some people were debating here on Gauthier being our best centremen to replace bozak or kadri. I think he got his shot too for a bit but was just too slow.

Fast foward in time, we now have such a crazy centre line-up, it would be something special if goat can find a place on that 4th line. His size always made him such an intriguing prospect and with his defensive play much better now i think he may gain the trust of babcock as a solid 4C.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He looks better but he's still a whole lot of meh. Doesn't kill penalties, doesn't use his size, is average defensively etc. I want the Goat to be the answer as the #4 center but it should tell you something when this team has badly overpaid for them 2 years in a row and has gone out of it's way to sign Euro vets to fill the void. He's a borderline NHL player.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
He looks better but he's still a whole lot of meh. Doesn't kill penalties, doesn't use his size, is average defensively etc. I want the Goat to be the answer as the #4 center but it should tell you something when this team has badly overpaid for them 2 years in a row and has gone out of it's way to sign Euro vets to fill the void. He's a borderline NHL player.

Really?

He does and can kill penalties, look at him on the Marlies and previous call-ups

He does use his size, he doesn't put people through the boards but he uses it to shield the puck and make small defensive plays.

IMO he is better than average defensively, but that is my opinion.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
My favourite thing about Gauthier is that his cap hit of 675k extends to next year. Saying a few hundred thousand over an average UFA center might be the difference it takes to keep a much better player.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
So, if Babcock is not looking at goat, is he still 6'5"? :laugh:

Happy the goat is making a push for the team. You could see he reached another gear in the Calder playoffs last year. Hopefully he can keep it up for the season and continue to get better.

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
I don't know how you can be down on him right now given what he has shown for his play time. Looks faster. Above average faceoff man relative to his experience in the league. He's already fantastic at protecting the puck. If he can become a more imposing physical presence, he's everything you can expect out of a 4th liner.

I hope that in the near future, we can look back and confidently say we hit on every first round draft pick we had since 2012

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Once Nylander gets back I hope Marleau gets sent down to Kadri lines (or Kap gets sent down to Kadri's line) and Lindholm will be sent down to center the 4th line. Which means Gauthier is the only guy in Toronto hoping Nylander sits out the year

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Still early, but there's been some show of promise. There's a spot in question in the lineup and on the team assuming Nylander returns, and Gauthier appeared to be one of those on the bubble. Hopefully the competition continues to bring out the best in those competing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Looks okay so far, I'm cautious because we saw the same last year, then he really tailed off and was a noticeable liability. See what happens.

Reactions: stickty111

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I just want. A tiny goal scoring touch. He seems to lack that but if he put's guys through the boards I don't care
But he neither puts guys through the boards nor scores.
I guess if he can play decent defense, we don't need scoring from him.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Looks okay so far, I'm cautious because we saw the same last year, then he really tailed off and was a noticeable liability. See what happens.

Gauthier looks good...this week. It's nice to see, but I obviously want to see how he plays over 40-60 games to decide what he is at the nhl level.

Reactions: DarkKnight

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's playing to keep his job and actually looking pretty good. A week ago I was thinking that he's the one who gets waived when Nylander comes back, but he's making his case that it should be Ennis. I haven't been a believer in the Goat at all, but I'm thrilled if he wants to prove me wrong. We need what he can bring. If we have both him and Lindholm as options for 4c, that's a huge advantage for us.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Really impressed with his skating. He will never be confused for a guy like Bouwmeester or Myers in their prime, but he has been moving quite well for such a big dude and has caught defenses off guard at times on the rush

Reactions: Cobra777

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
That size would come in handy during the playoffs. Even if he doesn't rub people out with a monster hit, he can wear them down just by making defensemen try to handle his size in the corners and in front of the net, centres on the dot etc. If he can play safe minutes after a PP, develop his faceoff ability, and have an energy shift here and there as he showed in the third period these past few games, he has a spot.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
This is why I love projects. Stralman was another guy I felt had something to his game. I am glad Goat was not shat out of the organization.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just took a quick peek at his TOI, only 13 min of total min COMBINED hi last games.

While I do hope he has “arrived”, be wary of looking too much into these performances

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
You gotta love the Goat!!! I've been a fan for years.

While many gave up on him as just a 4th line center, I think he has carved himself a long and prosperous career in that position. The 4th line center is becoming a very important role. While it used to be a punishment, it has now become a strategic role in the team's overall strategy.

Gauthier has looked great so far and will only improve. He's still only 23 years old and I am hoping he gets an extended look at 4C and has a chance to prove himself.

He has already made huge improvements, though it has taken more time than a lot of prospects - who cares!
- He looks much more confident.
- He's a much better skater and will likely still improve considering he had a massive setback last year but overcame it.
- He's actually starting to play a more physical game. he will never be mean, but he is starting to utilize his size.
- I hear he's a great character guy and well-liked in the dressing room.
- Love the fact he's accepted his role as a bottom-six guy and still gives maximum effort to both his game and his development.

I think he can be developed into a highly useful player.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Just took a quick peek at his TOI, only 13 min of total min COMBINED hi last games.

While I do hope he has “arrived”, be wary of looking too much into these performances

TBH that's likely more about who's ahead of Freddy in the line up more than anything.

Not sure he'll see much more than 10 minutes a night at most, especially if he's not PK'ing .. He'd make a fine PK'er but the Leafs have actual ample depth in this area this season.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Ive always liked the Goat. He still looks a bit slow compared to the others but seems to be at the right place at the right time more often than note (good hockey mind). He's a guy I think/hope will get better with age. Also, Lindholm has looked phenomenal. I didnt think the guy would crack the lineup to be honest, but he looks like a third line centre, and not a bad one. I wouldnt mind the Goat's size on Lindholms wing on the 4th line, skill will be sacraficed, but we have a tonne of that, we need some size and grit in the bottom 6.

Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Marleau - - - - Kadri - - - - Brown
Goat - Lindholm - Leivo/Johnny​

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I like platooning the #4 spot for now. Ultimately, his points per 60 might kill him but he looks like he belongs right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->