News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No trust me I get it.

I like anyone have been happy with Campbell, he's been great for us. But let's be honest, a big reason people are happy to stomp all over Andersen and forget him is because of Jack's sweetheart prince boy act. Almost crying in apology over letting in a goal he shouldn't have? Come on. Then compare that to Andersen's past few interviews where he was clearly frustrated at himself, blamed 'traffic infront' once.

Fans just eat the savior act up.

Actually I'd say most of us were annoyed by how much he beat himself up over the losses.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
No trust me I get it.

I like anyone have been happy with Campbell, he's been great for us. But let's be honest, a big reason people are happy to stomp all over Andersen and forget him is because of Jack's sweetheart prince boy act. Almost crying in apology over letting in a goal he shouldn't have? Come on. Then compare that to Andersen's past few interviews where he was clearly frustrated at himself, blamed 'traffic infront' once.

Fans just eat the savior act up.
Nah, I think fans are just happy that Campbell doesn't let in 1-2 point shots a game

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs Goaltending Last 2yrs:

Campbell: 24gms, .924sv%, 130pt pace
Andersen: 75gms, .906sv%, 106pt pace
Hutchinson: 23gms, .898sv%, 70pt pace
Rittich: 3gms, .888sv%, 82pt pace
Kaskisuo: 1gms, .842sv%, 0pt pace

Reactions: Menzinger

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Andersen hopes to return before Stanley Cup Playoffs for Maple Leafs
Frederik Andersen said he'd like to play a game for the Toronto Maple Leafs before the end of the regular season after the goalie participated in a full practice for the first time in five weeks Monday.
"It's great if I can get in action," he said. "I think we have different options to try to do that.
"Right now, my focus is more just to see how it progresses day by day. I think we still have some time hopefully to get into some game action."

Sounds like an AHL conditioning loan return is definitely in the cards, it would however require him to come off LTIR.

The regular season was initially supposed to end on May 8th, day 116/116 of the regular season, where the proceeding day player's salary cap hits were supposed to come off the books. I'm not sure how the NHL rescheduling up to May 19th, or the possible regular-season/playoff affects the salary cap picture or Andersen's particular LTIR situation. I doubt there isn't cap restrictions starting May 9th while the regular season is still going on, but the Marlies do play May 20th, 1 day after the NHL regular season has ended. Maybe Andersen gets a 1 day conditioning loan without affecting the salary cap; even better would be May 9th (NHL or AHL) but I doubt this possibly created loophole even exists.
Mirtle Mailbag: Projecting playoff line combinations, next year's goalies, off-season cap space and 2021 UFA targets
Mirtle had an interesting take on the Andersen cap situation in question 8 of his article.

"This was my attempt recently. Such as it was.

With Bogosian going down, and now onto LTIR, that gives the Leafs a bit more flexibility. If Hyman’s not back before the end of the regular season, which is entirely possible, then there should be enough room to squeeze Andersen back onto the NHL roster for a game or two.

One thing I haven’t been able to get clarity on is how the NHL will treat the salary cap after May 8. That’s when the season was supposed to end, but with the Canucks shutdown, it pushed a bunch of games past the end date.

In a typical season, the cap is a daily calculation from Day 1 to Day X when the season ends, so teams are budgeted up to that final day. How do you make things work when that date moves for some teams and not others?

The league didn’t respond to a request for information on that, and I’ve heard from other teams that are confused. (The Leafs are quiet on the subject.)

Maybe the cap goes out the window after May 8, which would mean the Leafs have two games left to give Andersen a tune-up? No one seems to know. Or if they do, they’re not telling the Leafs writer at The Athletic for his mailbag.

What is certain, as detailed in the story above, is the Leafs cannot just dump a bunch of NHL veterans on the taxi squad to make the cap math work. There are CBA provisions that prohibit that late in the year.

So it’ll have to happen some other way. Some weird, Pridham-inspired way."

I'm somebody knows it's Brandon Pridham, I'm willing to bet he has something up his sleeve; Leafs are probably quiet because they know something other teams don't.

I personally think Andersen will be back just after May 8th, unless Hyman is placed on retroactive LTIR before that date, then I think Andersen be back prior to May 8th; being able to do that will depend on where he's at with his injury between now and closer to then.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
It’s his lack of self awareness. He never owns it. It’s always someone else’s fault.
The guy just isn’t a competitor. Anaheim knew this 5 years before us.
Now we know.
Next year, Edmonton or Buffalo get to find out.

I cannot remember him ever taking the blame for a poor game. It always seems to be "We lost as a group" coming from him even when it's very evident that he was the problem. I don't care for Jacks self flagellation all the time because it tends to come across as almost insincere (even though I don't think it is) the same way Dubas took the blame for our Penalty kill after losing to Boston a few years back. In saying that though...I do appreciate someone who is honest...even if it is to a fault.

With Fred, we have a different animal in that he sees losses as a collective issue and not on him. His save % is not the problem in the playoffs as much as his timing on letting goals in. I am sure players on the team know (if we know as fans) that if he lets in a weak goal his confidence goes to shit and he tends to let even more of them in. In every single deciding game loss he let in a bad goal to get the ball rolling. The team itself fell apart as well after it happened...but ask yourself why that is. I tend to think it's because they know it's a futile effort to win when he is going to kill you anyway with another shitty goal.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
As much as Fred has underperformed during the playoffs, the team in front of him has seen a bigger drop off in play, at least scoring wise, during those same games.

Could be less scoring because they are terrified of letting any shots go against them at all. If they have to play super conservative to keep the other team from scoring from God knows where...how well do you think the offense is going to perform?

Reactions: axlrose87

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Watch Freddy play great into the playoffs and be a beast.
Hes fresh and hes healthy.

He’s unfortunately never been a ‘Beast’ in the playoffs so far in his career. It would be amazing if somehow that changes this year, assuming he even gets a chance though. Campbell has earned the starter job this year and should be given the first chance. But a healthy and ready Freddy would be amazing.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I don't even think the Freddy defenders in here are making an argument he should be starting Game 1 - the guy hasn't even played in long time. Thus, I'm not entirely sure why people are feeling the need to continue ripping Freddy in favour of Jack Campbell. Maybe leftover baggage and emotion.

The larger argument that Freddy defenders are making, which simply cannot be refuted I don't think, is that his health would still be of tremendous value for us going into the POs because if we want to call a spade a spade we really haven't seen a large enough sample on Jack to conclude he's our future #1 - and given that fact, I believe we know his leash in the POs will not be long if he runs into problems. In that scenario, you're simply too emotional if you think the Leafs would turn to an even more unproven Rittich vs. a healthy Freddy. Hence he still has significant value to us and perhaps we should support the guy, given we very well may need him, instead of taking him out to slaughter for the Leaf's disappointing past, which he was very clearly just a component of rather than the entire reason.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't even think the Freddy defenders in here are making an argument he should be starting Game 1 - the guy hasn't even played in long time. Thus, I'm not entirely sure why people are feeling the need to continue ripping Freddy in favour of Jack Campbell. Maybe leftover baggage and emotion.

The larger argument that Freddy defenders are making, which simply cannot be refuted I don't think, is that his health would still be of tremendous value for us going into the POs because if we want to call a spade a spade we really haven't seen a large enough sample on Jack to conclude he's our future #1 - and given that fact, I believe we know his leash in the POs will not be long if he runs into problems. In that scenario, you're simply too emotional if you think the Leafs would turn to an even more unproven Rittich vs. a healthy Freddy. Hence he still has significant value to us and perhaps we should support the guy, given we very well may need him, instead of taking him out to slaughter for the Leaf's disappointing past, which he was very clearly just a component of rather than the entire reason.

Love this post. This is basically what I've been saying for a long time now and people keep ripping to me for being a "Freddie defender" or a "Freddie fanboy" or whatever else. The only difference is that I think you said it better than I did. :thumbu::thumbu:

The closer we get to then of the season (and we're pretty darn close), the clearer it gets that Campbell will start game 1 of the playoffs. I'm sure we all hope that he kills it and starts every game and we win the cup. If however he falters and we feel the need to try someone else, it would be good if we had another option besides Rittich. The more options, the better, simple as that.

Reactions: 93WrapAround

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

Hey I am all for Fred being the backup...I even think him going in should JC stumble might be a different scenario for him and he might have a 'nothing to lose' mentality about it. That could mean a different mental outlook that helps him beat the demons he has inside his head. I would rather have Fred with all his faults as the #2 than Rittich from what I have seen so far. Rittich can either be a world beater or can't stop a beachball. That is not a good gamble to take.

At this point with the way we are playing on D...we just need to get not horrible goaltending to win most games. We just need even less than average save % to win...if we get better than average save %, we dominate most nights like we did against Edmonton when we dummied them for 3 games in a row.

Reactions: 93WrapAround

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Keefe says they are going too make a plan for Freddy after Wednesday practice. So he will get a start against Montreal likelyhood

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Keefe is going to throw him right in to the fire next Saturday vs Montreal. Lol a likey veteran scratched lineup and put it on Freddy to set the narrative on how he is viewed afterwards.

Campbell is starter now. Freddy can build confidence and get reps or not. I think he will be great in his return. Thinking behind that is we seen the absolutely worst we ever seen of him before he shut it down.

I am taking a wild guess Andersen starts Saturday

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hey I am all for Fred being the backup...I even think him going in should JC stumble might be a different scenario for him and he might have a 'nothing to lose' mentality about it. That could mean a different mental outlook that helps him beat the demons he has inside his head. I would rather have Fred with all his faults as the #2 than Rittich from what I have seen so far. Rittich can either be a world beater or can't stop a beachball. That is not a good gamble to take.

agreed one million percent.

in fact this is something that the freddy stans never seem to even consider - that maybe NOT treating Freddy like an undisputed #1 might actually HELP him perform better, with all the pressure off.

Especially since his biggest issue in the playoffs so far has more been an insane lack of clutch more than anything else, which might be a mental/pressure thing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Could be. Then again, I think some people are making too much of Freddie's "demons". His playoff SV% over his career is about the same as his regular season SV%, last season he was mediocre in the regular season but much better in the playoffs with a .936 SV%. He has his ups and downs just like most other goalies but the big picture doesn't show a guy who's level of play drops in the playoffs.

At this point with the way we are playing on D...we just need to get not horrible goaltending to win most games. We just need even less than average save % to win...if we get better than average save %, we dominate most nights like we did against Edmonton when we dummied them for 3 games in a row.

Maybe the first two rounds, don't think that's gonna cut it past that.

agreed one million percent.

in fact this is something that the freddy stans never seem to even consider - that maybe NOT treating Freddy like an undisputed #1 might actually HELP him perform better, with all the pressure off.

Especially since his biggest issue in the playoffs so far has more been an insane lack of clutch more than anything else, which might be a mental/pressure thing.

Assuming you mean fans, not stans?

I assume most of us are fans of the team as opposed to fans of individual players. But let's say you're right and there is such a thing as a "Freddy fan", how would you know what they do and don't consider?

WilyStyless03SHYla

aimiriteee
Apr 26, 2021
Knee injuries are not to be played with , my understanding is that the knee is very sensitive and can be easily reaggravated , just be ready for the playoffs cause we going to need Freddy

although big save Dave can win us a round or two as well :)

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I know we like to throw some of our ex-defensemen under the bus, but our forwards didn't exactly have the same commitment to defense as they're showing this year either.
Besides the style difference, the team is playing their hearts and soul out for Campbell.

Reactions: WilyStyless03SHYla

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Could be less scoring because they are terrified of letting any shots go against them at all. If they have to play super conservative to keep the other team from scoring from God knows where...how well do you think the offense is going to perform?

Come on, jeez...you know my point was that there was more to the Leafs losing than just Fred. This fan base just loves to find a whipping boy and then drill down on him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ok so we're all in agreement.....it's Campbell's net until he loses it, and we hope Andersen is a 100% healthy backup option.
Yeah definitely i believe that’s the hope too. Campbell’s #’s are Vezina quality and had he gotten 10 or 12 more starts and Healthy he would be in the conversation. :)

Keefe can’t take the net away from Campbell. He wouldn’t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad