News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
After all this time, I can’t believe we are talking about Andersen potentially playing for the leafs again.
His time with the Leafs is over. I don’t want to see him as a starter, as a backup or as a distraction with the leafs ever again.
To be honest, I would prefer the Leafs and Andersen mutually agree to terminate his contract (just over $100 grand left on it) so he can get a head start finding his employer for next year.
Rittich is a capable backup. Having Andersen around will not do anyone any good.

Reactions: LeafsRus and mikeyz

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
If you're a leafs fan right now putting all your eggs in the Jack Campbell basket and have written off Freddy completely, you must suffer from serious amnesia assuming you're a long term sports fan. Jack's sample size is still quite small and we have no idea how this will translate when the real games start. Yes Freddy has had some poor clutch PO moments but he's also the only reason our team was ever even in those clutch games to begin with. I'm happy to ride Jack until it stops working, but to assume Freddy's day is done over this stretch run is pretty silly.
Fred’s sample size is plenty big. We know we can’t depend on him. We would be crazy to think otherwise.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You can't fix stupid
upload_2021-5-1_13-52-31.jpeg

lol

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Fred’s sample size is plenty big. We know we can’t depend on him. We would be crazy to think otherwise.

Playoff Stats:

Freddie: 53 games/53 starts | 2.55 GAA | .916 SV%

Campbell: 0 games/starts

Rittich: 1 game/0 starts | 10.85 GAA | .667 SV%

It's pretty clear who'd be crazy here to want to dump Freddie and roll with Campbell and Rittich. I'm guessing I should similarly move my retirement fund all into crypto right now..

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think I indicated otherwise.

See the post above this for which fans my post is speaking to.

Remember Washington in 2018? Started the playoffs with Grubauer, went down 0-2 in the first round. Then switched back to Holtby and the rest is history. something like that could happen here. Although, imagine the meltdowns here if we dropped the first 2 games of the first round this year. Yikes! I hope it doesn't come to that.

Reactions: Gallagbi

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The people arguing that Freddie shouldn't get into another game are out to lunch.

Did Freddie struggle? Yes. Was he injured? Yes.

Campbell has been playing really well. What happens if he struggles? We could do much worse than having Andersen ready to go in the event that he does.
No harm at this point in seeing how he looks. Despite what some fans think, the players and staff would still think of him as part of the team.

Reactions: DarkKnight

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If you're a leafs fan right now putting all your eggs in the Jack Campbell basket and have written off Freddy completely, you must suffer from serious amnesia assuming you're a long term sports fan. Jack's sample size is still quite small and we have no idea how this will translate when the real games start. Yes Freddy has had some poor clutch PO moments but he's also the only reason our team was ever even in those clutch games to begin with. I'm happy to ride Jack until it stops working, but to assume Freddy's day is done over this stretch run is pretty silly.

No offense my friend, but, it seems like you’re the one suffering from amnesia.

For the last 4 years, we’ve seen what Freddie can do in the playoffs. And it’s not a pretty sight. He shits the bed in clutch situations every single time and is completely unreliable. His sample size is fairly large in that regard.

If Campbell shits the bed this year, then so be it. But, you never know. He could surprise everyone and continue to play well.

Personally, I would rather go with the unknown then the expected at this point.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
After all this time, I can’t believe we are talking about Andersen potentially playing for the leafs again.
His time with the Leafs is over. I don’t want to see him as a starter, as a backup or as a distraction with the leafs ever again.
To be honest, I would prefer the Leafs and Andersen mutually agree to terminate his contract (just over $100 grand left on it) so he can get a head start finding his employer for next year.
Rittich is a capable backup. Having Andersen around will not do anyone any good.

Maybe his good buddy Auston and the other guys he's tight with do.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
No offense my friend, but, it seems like you’re the one suffering from amnesia.

For the last 4 years, we’ve seen what Freddie can do in the playoffs. And it’s not a pretty sight. He shits the bed in clutch situations every single time and is completely unreliable. His sample size is fairly large in that regard.

If Campbell shits the bed this year, then so be it. But, you never know. He could surprise everyone and continue to play well.

Personally, I would rather go with the unknown then the expected at this point.

He's actually particularly had bad elimination games. I just posted his playoff stats above and with the leafs it's about the same - very solid. Elimination games he's disappeared unfortunately, but so has the defence and players in front of him (Jake Gardiner much? No offense much?). Now that we actually have a competent defence for once, I would certainly have more confidence in Freddie if Jack starts struggling given the fact that his track record in the NHL period is just not that great compared to Freddie.

You're also making a straw man argument there as I never insinuated Freddie should start Game 1 or anything. But you're crazy if you think we should get rid of him going into the POs.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Playoff Stats:

It's pretty clear who'd be crazy here to want to dump Freddie and roll with Campbell and Rittich. I'm guessing I should similarly move my retirement fund all into crypto right now..
Those Campbell stats, the fact he’s an entire unknown come playoffs is why only an idiot doesn’t want a healthy Andersen in case he hits a wall. Half this board would have called for Dubas’ head if he came into this season with a guy with ZERO playoff games as his starter.

As of today, Campbell has the net, he’s earned it. Fred is insurance we should all want.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We all know who ever gets the start has a better team in front of them than was ever possible our last 4 goes at playoffs/playins.
Whoever starts has a solid team in front of them.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Playoff Stats:

If you still believe Fred can get the job done for us after all these letdowns, there is nothing left to argue.
The guy inspires about as much confidence as a flat tire.
If when he is interviewed on a benign topic, it feels like the other team just scored a goal.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Maybe his good buddy Auston and the other guys he's tight with do.
If that is indeed the case (which I pray it is not), we might have a bigger problem with our core. We have not won a playoff series in a very long time. If those players are clamouring for Fred, the Leafs issues are much larger than Fred.

Reactions: LeafsRus

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If that is indeed the case (which I pray it is not), we might have a bigger problem with our core. We have not won a playoff series in a very long time. If those players are clamouring for Fred, the Leafs issues are much larger than Fred.

May not be the Leafs that have the issues.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
These comments make no sense, lots of people seem to genuinely hate him just because he hasn't played well lately, no off ice incidents or anything. Just based on play, strange.

What if he started in the playoffs and was great, winning two rounds in goal for us? Then you'd take back these comments.

Reactions: egd27

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
If you still believe Fred can get the job done for us after all these letdowns, there is nothing left to argue.
The guy inspires about as much confidence as a flat tire.
If when he is interviewed on a benign topic, it feels like the other team just scored a goal.

This is why you're watching on your sofa. No chance Dubas or any NHL GM would slot Freddie 3rd of the 3 if he's healthy going into the POs. You can get as angry as you want with the guy but it won't change the reality of his value.

Reactions: egd27 and michi510

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
These comments make no sense, lots of people seem to genuinely hate him just because he hasn't played well lately, no off ice incidents or anything. Just based on play, strange.

What if he started in the playoffs and was great, winning two rounds in goal for us? Then you'd take back these comments.
It’s his lack of self awareness. He never owns it. It’s always someone else’s fault.
The guy just isn’t a competitor. Anaheim knew this 5 years before us.
Now we know.
Next year, Edmonton or Buffalo get to find out.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
This is why you're watching on your sofa. No chance Dubas or any NHL GM would slot Freddie 3rd of the 3 if he's healthy going into the POs. You can get as angry as you want with the guy but it won't change the reality of his value.
I’m actually on a beanie chair. You’re a gm?
Crazy!
I thought this was a chat room for hockey fans to express opinions.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As much as Fred has underperformed during the playoffs, the team in front of him has seen a bigger drop off in play, at least scoring wise, during those same games.

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
Playoff Stats:

Not at all the same. Goalies become starters from playing. All goalies start with 0 games/starts...

Campbell has shown he can play, and the Leafs have had the same defense all season, so the current year regular season numbers carry much more weight than past playoff performances.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
It’s his lack of self awareness. He never owns it. It’s always someone else’s fault.
The guy just isn’t a competitor. Anaheim knew this 5 years before us.
Now we know.
Next year, Edmonton or Buffalo get to find out.

No trust me I get it.

I like anyone have been happy with Campbell, he's been great for us. But let's be honest, a big reason people are happy to stomp all over Andersen and forget him is because of Jack's sweetheart prince boy act. Almost crying in apology over letting in a goal he shouldn't have? Come on. Then compare that to Andersen's past few interviews where he was clearly frustrated at himself, blamed 'traffic infront' once.

Fans just eat the savior act up.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Not at all the same. Goalies become starters from playing. All goalies start with 0 games/starts...

Campbell has shown he can play, and the Leafs have had the same defense all season, so the current year regular season numbers carry much more weight than past playoff performances.

My post was a response to another poster about a different topic..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad