News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Yes, injuries have played a part this year, but Freddy has been poor that last two regular seasons. All the regular and advanced stats back this up as do the eye test. He did play well in the Columbus series, but again he was outplayed by the opposing goalies and gave up some back breaking goals. This is a repeat of the previous 3 playoffs series.

I wish Freddy the best, but his time as a Leaf is coming to a close. Campbell will be our starter and hopefully Freddy/Rittich can offer capable backup if Jack falters.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That was the blue jackets.
Oh really. Denial is a river in Egypt too. They got shut out for 3 minutes shy of 3 games dude. Wrap your head around that now.

Edit: do you know who was eliminated yet. What is a choke for $1000 Alex ha. Blaming the goalie is a bad take. Period. It’s a team loss for me. You go with that take if you like. I’ll never agree. It’s just loaded with bias and hate.

Blaaa it not nice. For a numbers guy that always puts up numbers for everything. You shy away from putting up numbers which you know were phenomenal for Andersen. Problem was the scorers never scored and the opponents goalies put up historical numbers in sv %. That’s the honest story and fair story.

calling people Lunatics for being happy to have Andersen/ Campbell going in to the playoffs is not cool much :)

What if i told you Campbell will put up a .936 sv% and a 1.84 Goals against average these playoffs, would you take that ha

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What if i told you Campbell will put up a .936 sv% and a 1.84 Goals against average these playoffs, would you take that ha

That's pretty close to his season numbers this year, actually - and that's against much better offensive teams than Columbus.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That's pretty close to his season numbers this year, actually - and that's against much better offensive teams than Columbus.
You do know Campbell has 5 wins with a sv% well below .900 with the team putting up a average 3.3 goals per game right. That team got shut out for 3 games of a 5 game series and produced 2 goals per game almost.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Comparing this is ridiculous dude. They didn’t score goals for him. Shutout 3 games. Wow.

They got bookend shutout. Games 1 and 5. Day late and a dollar short for the offense

I just don’t agree with your take on this one bud. I’m going to just stop. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It's weird how all the eye test people only care about save% all of a sudden. They could watch Andersen let in the first 3 shots of the game and say he played well as long as he stops 35 muffins from the blue line once the team up 3 starts trapping.
This^.

And I'm an "eye test" person.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Andersen isn't why we lost the Columbus series, but he wasn't the better goalie and stole it either. Campbell has been good, but ideally both should be seeing some games before the playoffs. Both of them aren't exactly ironmen..

Isn’t that the truth. I’m just hoping both stay healthy and to many are interested on crapping on a goalie that was injured and it was completely visible he was slow in the net.

I know what a quick Andersen looks like and we didn’t see him this season at all. He should have shut it down earlier and that didn’t happen.

A healthy Andersen coming back to normal will shut some talk down pretty quickly. Still Campbell starts.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Andersen isn't why we lost the Columbus series, but he wasn't the better goalie and stole it either. Campbell has been good, but ideally both should be seeing some games before the playoffs. Both of them aren't exactly ironmen..

Andersen wasn't the only reason we lost, but he was not good in game 5. We were still in that game when he let in a ridiculous softy (in a crucial game yet again). The deflating effect that can have on the rest of the team can't be underestimated.

Last edited:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
What kind of lunatic would prefer having Fred in net over Jack right now?
I'm confused , I actually thought the exact same thing as you .Hold me mommy I'm scared the world makes no sense right now .

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

107 lunatics according to this poll.

It's mystifying but Freddy was actually winning this poll by a good margin at one point too. Apparantly people still want to see him again in the playoffs?!?!

How about the media shilling for him? It's odd really.

I watched a U.S hockey telecast and they were stating how Campbell is 4th in goalie numbers this year and how he is taking the reigns and running with it. Yet, I turn on Canadian sports "experts" and they keep reminding us of the last five years and always worrying about Campbell. S eventual fall.

I have to just say so bluntly, with such nepotism and low expectations, it's no wonder we haven't had a Cup winner in the entire country for near 30 years.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
How about the media shilling for him? It's odd really.

I watched a U.S hockey telecast and they were stating how Campbell is 4th in goalie numbers this year and how he is taking the reigns and runners with it. Yet, I turn on Canadian sports "experts" and they keep reminding us of the last five years and always worrying about Campbell. S eventual fall.

I have to just say so bluntly, with such nepotism and low expectations, it's no wonder we haven't had a Cup winner in the entire country for near 30 years.

I was listening to TSN (fwiw) and they were talking about how Campbell's advanced stats have shown his expected results to be significantly worse than his play would be expected to yield. Not a goalie stats guy beyond sv% so I am not explaining but rather sharing what the TSN goalie guy had to say. He wasn't expecting Jack's dive into the toilet, just saying the streak was more crazy luck than crazy talent. As an old school plug I look mostly at the sv% streak to tell my if they are legit dominating. The Leafs have been outperformed by opposition goalies enough times that I have limited faith in any goalie they have access to. Right now their GA is behind the Rangers and barely ahead of the Oilers., We should be worried and Campbell's recent dump emphasizes that. The problem isn't solved and there are legit questions.

But all the clubs have questions and it comes down to the players to show they are the solutions. Not long ago we were looking at hitting the playoffs with Hutch as a starter. There is insulation now and if Freddy revives and Campbell is healthy there will be no crater and they won't get goalied out. Not there yet but you have to feel better than last year.

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
I just want both of then healthy and ready. I prefer Jack as I've always thought of Freddy as a slow starter. After 2 months off it'll be like starting a new season, definitely needs a couple of games before the playoffs. This is why Sheldon Keefe gets the big bucks to make these decisions. Mine or any one else's opinion count for zilch.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Yep. 5 howlers in 5 games.

Look at the 2nd goal he lets in around the 3.00 mark of the video...and try to tell me he is a goalie that you can have confidence in during a long playoff run. I get tired of Jack telling us how bad he played after a win...and even more tired of Fred telling us how great a goalie he is after a loss.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
If you're a leafs fan right now putting all your eggs in the Jack Campbell basket and have written off Freddy completely, you must suffer from serious amnesia assuming you're a long term sports fan. Jack's sample size is still quite small and we have no idea how this will translate when the real games start. Yes Freddy has had some poor clutch PO moments but he's also the only reason our team was ever even in those clutch games to begin with. I'm happy to ride Jack until it stops working, but to assume Freddy's day is done over this stretch run is pretty silly.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If you're a leafs fan right now putting all your eggs in the Jack Campbell basket and have written off Freddy completely, you must suffer from serious amnesia assuming you're a long term sports fan. Jack's sample size is still quite small and we have no idea how this will translate when the real games start. Yes Freddy has had some poor clutch PO moments but he's also the only reason our team was ever even in those clutch games to begin with. I'm happy to ride Jack until it stops working, but to assume Freddy's day is done over this stretch run is pretty silly.

He has earned the right to at least start the playoffs as the #1 starter. The team's record with him in net speaks for itself.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I just want both of then healthy and ready. I prefer Jack as I've always thought of Freddy as a slow starter. After 2 months off it'll be like starting a new season, definitely needs a couple of games before the playoffs. This is why Sheldon Keefe gets the big bucks to make these decisions. Mine or any one else's opinion count for zilch.
Ya I definitely agree. Campbell starts 100% with Andy getting some Marlies conditioning games if we can't fit him before the season ends. Andy plays backup and may even see a game or two depending if Campbell can stay fit/not get too down on himself during playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad