Tribute Freddy Andersen

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Hopefully he gets his confidence back up after a good showing and some time off. We are dead in the water at the moment and need a restart to get back in the playoff picture.

It doesn't matter. He'll get his confidence back but even if we do make the playoffs, that confidence will disappear when it really counts like it always has. He's done in this market

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
That is exactly what you get when you switch defending defensemen for the Barries of the world, get 3 x 11 M$ forwards so you have less to spend on D, and when your top2 defensemen are injured

Look the Jets. Five of their Top6 D (Buff, Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, Poolman, Beaulieu ... only Morrissey left) from last season haven't been playing for them in the last games, and their D sucks, balls.

How about spending more on D, and waiting until most of them are healthy?

If he still sucks, then you can crucify him

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That is exactly what you get when you switch defending defensemen for the Barries of the world, get 3 x 11 M$ forwards so you have less to spend on D, and when your top2 defensemen are injured

Look the Jets. Five of their Top6 D (Buff, Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, Poolman, Beaulieu ... only Morrissey left) from last season haven't been playing for them in the last games, and their D sucks, balls.

This is a great argument against your position. Winnipeg's defense is way worse than Toronto's, and Hellebuyck is still performing better than Andersen

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Sick of this loser. I'll take a 100 drunken Eddie Belfours and then some before a weak minded Andersen any day

Week minded loser. LOL.

He is among the best goalies in the league.

The guy plays in front of one of the weakest d corps in the league. His team plays an offensive biased game. He has the youngest or one of the youngest forward groups in the league,that couldn't tell you how to spell the word defence, let alone play it.

Just for giggles I picked randomly 3 other elite goalies, compared their stats through the first 7 years (6 for Vas as he has only played 6 years in the NHL)

Quality Starts %
Ben Bishop - 0.591
Fred Andersen - 0.586
Pekka Rinne - 0.577
Andrei Vasilevskiy - 0.554

SOG
Fred Andersen - 10,729

Pekka Rinne - 8,183
Andrei Vasilevskiy - 7,403
Ben Bishop - 6,274

SV%
Ben Bishop - 0.920
Pekka Rinne - 0.919
Andrei Vasilevskiy - 0.919
Fred Andersen - 0.917

Right, so a guy who has faced an abnormal number of shots, has among the best QS% among the elite goalies in the NHL over his career, and similar SV% is mentally weak ... dude your opinion is not supported by facts.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Andersen was very close to winning the save streak competition. He was the leader with 7 saves in a row, however Vasilevskiy was able to get9 in a row and eventually Binnington won with 10 in a row.
so not actually close at all and they cancelled a goal after the fact to move him frim 5 to 7 .

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Always nice when other team's fans come in to "add" to the conversation

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Good game. I'm not convinced he is back in form until we this for 3 or 4 more games. The team was good though, and he made important stops when needed.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He looked shaky early on but the puck stayed mostly out and he settled in as the game went on.

I hope the all star nomination reminds him how to play well.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I agree, the start was shakey. He didn't look right in the first period, but despite that still made some good stops. He was solid through last 40 though. Even though the Leafs had the disproportionate amount of quality of chances, he still played well for us tonight.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Here is another view of that save Andersen made late in the 2nd period when it was 4-1, so you can see how important it was since Nashville eventually made it 4-2 in the 3rd and had some more chances after that.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Week minded loser. LOL.

He is among the best goalies in the league.

The guy plays in front of one of the weakest d corps in the league. His team plays an offensive biased game. He has the youngest or one of the youngest forward groups in the league,that couldn't tell you how to spell the word defence, let alone play it.

Just for giggles I picked randomly 3 other elite goalies, compared their stats through the first 7 years (6 for Vas as he has only played 6 years in the NHL)

Quality Starts %
Ben Bishop - 0.591
Fred Andersen - 0.586
Pekka Rinne - 0.577
Andrei Vasilevskiy - 0.554

SOG
Fred Andersen - 10,729

Pekka Rinne - 8,183
Andrei Vasilevskiy - 7,403
Ben Bishop - 6,274

SV%
Ben Bishop - 0.920
Pekka Rinne - 0.919
Andrei Vasilevskiy - 0.919
Fred Andersen - 0.917

Right, so a guy who has faced an abnormal number of shots, has among the best QS% among the elite goalies in the NHL over his career, and similar SV% is mentally weak ... dude your opinion is not supported by facts.

I think most fans who saw him be part of the meltdown in the playoffs(when it matters most) and a few other instances where it appears he is rattled by his own sub-standard play see that as being 'mentally weak'...I do as well. I don't care if he wins 82 regular season games...if he folds under pressure ,then what good is that?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He delivered tonight, but it’s just one game. He needs to string together a bunch of strong starts if we’re going to make the playoffs.
He got the win...but some of those Nashville players couldn't hit a barn door.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think most fans who saw him be part of the meltdown in the playoffs(when it matters most) and a few other instances where it appears he is rattled by his own sub-standard play see that as being 'mentally weak'...I do as well. I don't care if he wins 82 regular season games...if he folds under pressure ,then what good is that?

I thought there were 6 people on the ice per side, 5 on 5? No? I guess you are right, ONLY Andy is to blame ...

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
How do people see his future after this contract is done? What if Leafs do not advance past 1st round in playoffs this season?

He has 1 year left after this season, but do Toronto re-sign him or do they move on? Right now he is paid league average for a starting goaltender, but 3½ years ago the average was way lower, only being beaten by Holtby and Price and a couple of others. Can they afford him and what do they have to sacrifice to do so?

I guess it depends on whats on the market at that time. Who is available and at what price. Personally Im not sure Andersen and Toronto is the right fit either. This being said 3½ years into his contract, you would have expected things to turn out right or wrong. I know its not all that black and white, but I havent seen any improvement in Andersens play the last two seasons, so maybe this is just his ceiling.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He was shaky early on and guessing quite a bit but came through in the end. Good to get confidence against another struggling club.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
How do people see his future after this contract is done? What if Leafs do not advance past 1st round in playoffs this season?

He has 1 year left after this season, but do Toronto re-sign him or do they move on? Right now he is paid league average for a starting goaltender, but 3½ years ago the average was way lower, only being beaten by Holtby and Price and a couple of others. Can they afford him and what do they have to sacrifice to do so?

I guess it depends on whats on the market at that time. Who is available and at what price. Personally Im not sure Andersen and Toronto is the right fit either. This being said 3½ years into his contract, you would have expected things to turn out right or wrong. I know its not all that black and white, but I havent seen any improvement in Andersens play the last two seasons, so maybe this is just his ceiling.

I wonder if term will be the most difficult part of any contract extension? It's possible that the Leafs may not be willing to re-sign him or meet his eventual ask. However, the starts, wins and cap space would still have to then materialize from somewhere, particularly considering the team is still very much in the contending stage.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I thought there were 6 people on the ice per side, 5 on 5? No? I guess you are right, ONLY Andy is to blame ...
Reading 101....'part of the meltdown'...and if you actually watched ,there is no way you can ignore the visibly rattled Fred.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad