NFL: Freddie Kitchens named Browns HC / Gregg Williams fired

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Gregg williams getting fired is hilarious and such a cold blooded move.

Now he can entertain all the many head coaching offers he says he gets :)
He survived the Hue/Haley fight, but I bet we find out he wasn't entirely innocent through all of it. The team just couldn't fire everyone. Also remember he wasn't hired by Dorsey.

In some ways, he did a good job of calming the situation down fairly quickly after Hue was canned. Under Williams's watch, the team got a lot better in a lot of areas that seemed to stem from better preparation.

What made letting him go an easy decision was also the fact the team's defense wasn't making the same strides as the offense throughout the season. The defense got a whole lot of turnovers, but they also still gave up lots of yards and points and took a lot of penalties. It's not even like the unit that was his main responsibility was very good.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Don't like this hire honestly

Kitchens coaching experience is rather limited and it seems a major leap to make him HC based on a small sample size of success as OC

Rough for Williams the way it ends given how team played under him but he knew it was possibility with interim tag

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He survived the Hue/Haley fight, but I bet we find out he wasn't entirely innocent through all of it. The team just couldn't fire everyone. Also remember he wasn't hired by Dorsey.

In some ways, he did a good job of calming the situation down fairly quickly after Hue was canned. Under Williams's watch, the team got a lot better in a lot of areas that seemed to stem from better preparation.

What made letting him go an easy decision was also the fact the team's defense wasn't making the same strides as the offense throughout the season. The defense got a whole lot of turnovers, but they also still gave up lots of yards and points and took a lot of penalties. It's not even like the unit that was his main responsibility was very good.

Let's not ignore promoting his son to DC was the first move he made.

Reactions: Dale Best Goalie

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
Don't like this hire honestly

Kitchens coaching experience is rather limited and it seems a major leap to make him HC based on a small sample size of success as OC

Rough for Williams the way it ends given how team played under him but he knew it was possibility with interim tag
Kitchens has been coaching in the NFL for a long, long time. McVay only had like 2 years of OC experience before being hired.

Obviously Kitchens is no McVay, and the lack of experience is an issue, (I just think it's being blown up a bit) but consider Kitchens with the other candidates in mind. The Browns have a young, brilliant offensive mind on their hands. Do they hire one of the "experienced" guys who have failed for other organizations or take a bet on their own coaching prospect, who already is loved by the locker room and Mayfield?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Williams also didn't want Kitchens as his OC anyway to begin with. Weird how things work out sometimes.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Will miss Gregg williams, not sure about Kitchens as head coach. Dorsey must have felt he'd leave next year for another head coaching job. At least the Browns didn't hire Kingsbury or Gase.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Interesting pair of moves. LOL

Not sure how Gregg Williams still manages to get jobs, considering he was largely the head scumbag during Bountygate and also deliberately disobeyed his own ****ing team's head coach by calling a zero blitz in a playoff game that left the other team's best reciever wide ****ing open, which directly led to him getting fired, is a well-known habitual liar and gets himself involved in power struggles everywhere he goes because he's the NFL's biggest weasel, but, hey, that's just me

The Cleveland hire is intriguing, mostly because Kitchens was a freaking running backs coach 18 months ago. I'm tempted to think Mayfield pulled a Lebron here. Outside of Brees or Brady, he may have more pull than any QB in the league considering how long they have been waiting for him.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Getting rid of Williams was just as big of a positive as keeping Kitchens imo.

Kitchens' offense was one of the best in the league after he started calling plays. You can't let him go and you can't keep him as OC or he's getting poached in a year or 2 and Baker ends up with a new OC and offense.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
In hindsight I think this would have been a great spot for Fangio. Better than Denver at least...and when is the last time anyone said about that towards Cleveland.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I thought about making this into a new thread as a joke, but the Browns have added another coach. Special teams was a huge weak point this past season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad