Freddie Brathwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbert*

Something that just came to me, as I was posting in the Oilers forum:

What caused the Flames' management to have so little confidence in Fred Brathwaite during his time with the team? The man stood on his head for 2.5 seasons in the flaming C, yet they constantly started Ken Wregget, Tyler Moss, Mike Vernon and Grant Fuhr ahead of him.

I'll always be convinced that, had the Flames held onto Freddie instead of trading for Turek, they'd have been in the playoffs in 2001-02.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dogbert said:
Something that just came to me, as I was posting in the Oilers forum:

What caused the Flames' management to have so little confidence in Fred Brathwaite during his time with the team? The man stood on his head for 2.5 seasons in the flaming C, yet they constantly started Ken Wregget, Tyler Moss, Mike Vernon and Grant Fuhr ahead of him.

I'll always be convinced that, had the Flames held onto Freddie instead of trading for Turek, they'd have been in the playoffs in 2001-02.

I don't know ... I agree that he was always the least of their problems during that period.

Brathwaite's record, 1998-2001: 51-51-24
Other Flame goalies, 1998-2001: 35-70-13

Ouch.

He really went downhill after being dealt away to St. Louis, though, so I don't know if he would have been an upgrade on Turek.

Transported Upstater

He couldn't be more streaky if he never wore clothes.

Dogbert*

TransportedUpstater said:
He couldn't be more streaky if he never wore clothes.
Yeah, but in our position at the time, would you rather have a streaky Brathwaite or a consistently-awful Turek?

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Dogbert said:
Yeah, but in our position at the time, would you rather have a streaky Brathwaite or a consistently-awful Turek?

Brathwaite was never full-time starter quality, and the way Turek started off his career with the Flames, it was basically like another Freddie moment. Their careers were eerily similar.

I loved chanting "FREDDIE, FREDDIE" but I'd still take Turek at the time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Roughneck said:
Mike Vernon hardly comes up to my chin and he did okay.

Mike Vernon was a multiple-time all-star though, and with 2 rings will probably get into the hall of fame.

Transported Upstater

Dogbert said:

C: A Turd Sandwich.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Mike Vernon was a multiple-time all-star though, and with 2 rings will probably get into the hall of fame.
What? Mike Vernon would be one of the worst HOFers if he got in. In 15 seasons of being a #1, he's made it past the 1st round only 5 times, and one of those times he was out in the second round. Yeah, he's got two Cups, and he also made it to the Finals his rookie year, and I wouldn't mind having his career, but he just doesn't cut it as a HOFer.

Transported Upstater

Dogbert said:

All I am saying is that Braithwaite is streaky. Turek, I thought his biggest problem was not as much his GAA, but that he let in bad goals at even worse times, and did THAT consistently.

So, to answer your question honestly, I'd rather have Fred Braithwaite than Turek, but that's not saying much.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Fred Brathwaite was overrated by many.

I remember he was drafted high by the commish of a fantasy draft, and a year later when the league folded, one of the commish's last statement on the site was "I drafted Freddie and it was all downhill from there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad