Fred Roggin breaks the news on NBC4 Los Angeles - "Lockout is over, in 2 weeks"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
All we've heard is opinion and conjecture to this point, so this seemed to warrant its own thread.

Here's the quote from the 11PM news:

FR: "Remember, you heard it here first. It has not been announced. The hockey lockout is over. They will play in the fall. Official word will come within the next two weeks."

- T

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
TonySCV said:
All we've heard is opinion and conjecture to this point, so this seemed to warrant its own thread.

FR: "Remember, you heard it here first. It has not been announced. The hockey lockout is over. They will play in the fall. Official word will come within the next two weeks."

- T
That seems to be the consensus these days.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Wow. Let me try this.

You have my word. There will be a Federal Election in Canada within the decade. You heard it here first.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
I don't believe anything that comes from a guy who spends 15 seconds TOPS on the NHL even when a season is going on during his nightly segment.

Roggin can suck it.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
kind of sounds like a bob mckenzie article ... oops, wait.. mckenzie straddles the fence so that he only seems to provide commentary and hasn't reported or broke a story in quite a while. a really long while.

i'm sure mckenzie's next article will be another "it's not done until it's done !"

thankfully hockey fans, or at least me, have had pierre lebrun and dave shoalts willing to hold themselves to a journalistic standard to at least try to find out what's going on, and report it to us fans.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
London Knights said:
Wow. Let me try this.

You have my word. There will be a Federal Election in Canada within the decade. You heard it here first.

I'm going to bookmark this thread. Unless you provide a reliable link, I'm going to hold you on your own word!

blah

Jun 24, 2003
hawker14 said:
kind of sounds like a bob mckenzie article ... oops, wait.. mckenzie straddles the fence so that he only seems to provide commentary and hasn't reported or broke a story in quite a while. a really long while.

i'm sure mckenzie's next article will be another "it's not done until it's done !"

thankfully hockey fans, or at least me, have had pierre lebrun and dave shoalts willing to hold themselves to a journalistic standard to at least try to find out what's going on, and report it to us fans.
:shakehead

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
hawker14 said:

the guy is very pragmatic in his approach. there's nothing wrong with that since he's just covering his behind. lets also not make this personal because he's a valuable contributor to these boards. dave shoalts, IMO, doesn't exude as much journalistic prowess as mckenzie. moving on...

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
jericholic19 said:
the guy is very pragmatic in his approach. there's nothing wrong with that since he's just covering his behind. lets also not make this personal because he's a valuable contributor to these boards. dave shoalts, IMO, doesn't exude as much journalistic prowess as mckenzie. moving on...

it's absolutely nothing personal.

the fact that certain people have the courage to make themselves identifiable as hockey writers on these forums shouldn't restrict debate on their actual "public" work.

shoaltzy broke the story on phoenix's financial problems, as well as the $ 36-38 million cap that everyone presumes to be close to being correct.

perhaps i was wrong to consider mr.mckenzie a reporter, as in looking over past articles, he's obviously a commentator.

my apologies.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
hawker14 said:
the fact that certain people have the courage to make themselves identifiable as hockey writers on these forums shouldn't restrict debate on their actual "public" work.

I won't disagree with that...so long as its contructive.

I also don't think you're wrong in considering him a reporter. He's an insider who reports on the progress of trade talks and labour negotiations. But that's completely different from being a journalist who tend more to be opinionated IMO.

So you're also still up watching the sun rise in the prairies? :) Gotta love the holidays (my last ones unfortunately).

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
hawker14 said:

Most of the time, Mckenzie's articles come out while the whole media world is screaming "deal is imminent". He's more or less cautioning everyone saying don't get your hopes up the deal's not imminent. Even when the hockey world was getting all giddy in February, he was trying to voice reality about how much would need to be done in a matter of hours to unlock the doors.

What's reeks "low journalistic standard" about that??

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
hawker14 said:

You forgot "Yadda, yadda, yadda."
:biglaugh:

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
shoaltzy broke the story on phoenix's financial problems, as well as the $ 36-38 million cap that everyone presumes to be close to being correct.

You mean the same David Shoalts who penned a column last week claiming there would be a team by team cap based on that teams revenues?

All media types have hits and misses, and there are far easier targets than Bob McKenzie to go after in that respect.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He said that there is no offical word but that the lockout is over? That's not something I'm hanging my hat on.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Another statement thats full of crap, an official annoucement within 2 weeks as lots of people have mentioned wow thats an orginial statement.

WC Handy*

hawker14 said:

First of all, has Phoenix's financial troubles been confirmed or are you assuming it's a fact because this guy said it?

Secondly, the 36-38 number was being reported WEEKS before he ever brought it up. The only thing unique to his report was the team-by-team payroll BS that was quickly squashed.

Yea... great source he is.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Seems to me everyone is hung up on a deal getting done in 2 weeks - problem is, we don't know when the clock started, so when do the "2 weeks" begin and end?
It's like walking to a store and the sign on the door says "Be back in 5 mins."????

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
"2 weeks phrase" was used in late May but good point. Lawyer stuff always takes forever to finish. Especially if this CBA is as complexed as the rumours state.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
marknuck311 said:
Seems to me everyone is hung up on a deal getting done in 2 weeks - problem is, we don't know when the clock started, so when do the "2 weeks" begin and end?
It's like walking to a store and the sign on the door says "Be back in 5 mins."????

I think the main problem is no one involved has actually said 2 weeks, just pure media speculation.

everything about the recent set of negotiations have been from the media's unnamed sources, nothing has been said by league or union officials, apart from the fact that they are meeting. Nothing else is based on fact.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
TonySCV said:

- T

And the 405 will be wall-to-wall traffic at 9am on Wednesday. "you heard it here first" :biglaugh:

Impressive. I wonder where he heard that considering the media seems to be leaning the pendulum that way, teams are hiring, and releasing ticket prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->