Frazer McLaren

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
Not a big fan of this type of player but for what he is.....cant complain. If you want a mindless goon who could beat the opposition into submission then I guess you love McLaren/Orr......Not a fan of watching someone knock another player out cold.... its about as entertaining as MMA to me which is just another barbaric sport. As long as fighting is prominent in the NHL, guys like Scott, McLaren, Orr, Parros will always have a place in the sport. The goons are getting bigger, stronger and scarier every year. Only a matter of time before someone either gets turned into a vegetable or dies on the ice..IMO..only a matter of time. When it happens, I suppose we will hear a whole lot of empty sympathy and stirring tributes by those who support and endorse this as an essential part of the game.

This is not an anti-fighting rant, as I don't have any issue at all with two "hockey players" fighting...rather than "two fighters" playing hockey.

If anything the game is much safer, look at the game 20 years ago when the refs didn't jump in and let the two combatants beat each other to a pulp, or when line brawls happened and Gino Odjick pretty much killed people. Also with all of the concussion tests etc players aren't able to jump back on the ice. Today's NHL is much safer, and I highly doubt that were going to see a death anytime soon *Knock on wood*

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I dont expect to see eye-eye on every topic, player or coach etc...but my point is the Leafs NEED to somehow acquire those players you list to be truly tough and competetive enough to contend for the Cup. I don't even dislike the goons like Orr and McLaren..tough job to do that and nobody should envy those players. I just dont think they are necessary to be successful.

Well come on now lets talk in the real world friend.

I'm not holding my breath hoping to get skilled tough players of that ilk.

So in the mean time, we need those gooners to back up our skilled softies.

Trust me on this, having guys like that watching ones back who has a mild yellow streak running up it, does help with the teams overall essence.

It's kinda like tapping into the primal part of the brain, stronger, safer,bigger pack mentality.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
This argument has been going on for years and years and years...and right now you compared Lucic and Chara to the likes of Orr and McLaren...that is an absolute joke. The team had Brown and Orr last year and they sucked. And the year before that and the year before that. Im not an advocate of removing fighting from the game at all....and I believe you miss the point completely. Guys like Orr and McLaren will be exploited by good teams...They are lousy hockey players. I mean if they weren't so one dimensional I could accept them more for sure. Tie Dummi was a great enforcer and he actually scored 15 goals one year. I think if you add McLaren Orr and Brown's career goal totals you may reach 15. Who were the goons on the last few cup finalists? NJ vs LA last year...dont remember any goons in that series. How bout Bruins Nucks the previous year? No goons unless you consider Chara, Thornton or Chara a goon. Blackhawks vs. Flyers? Ben Eager vs Jody Shelley? Yeah real impact players. I think its way over stated. The best team in hockey is easily the Chicago Black Hawks this season. Without a doubt. Who are their goons? Out of their regulars ...Duncan Keith leads the team with PIMs...27.

I know Fraser McLaren or Colton Orr will take care of Duncan Keith when the Leafs have a Cup showdown against those intimidating Hawks....:laugh:

They sent Orr down, but what does that matter eh?No, Brian McGrattan is a lousy hockey player. I think you like to blow smoke up peoples cul and surround it w/ rhetoric and semantics just so you sound like you know what your talking about. For the record Landsberg, the career point totals for the 3 aforementioned Leaf players is 57. This includes 29 goals. Maybe, you don't watch alot of Hawks games because you're on the East coast or maybe you think that Brandon Bollig and Dan Carcillo are regular 2nd line players that have a high development ceiling. Now he's splitting hairs "out of their regulars" Bollig has 40 pims in 11 g, does that qualify as a "goon"?

hockeyfanz*

They sent Orr down, but what does that matter eh?No, Brian McGrattan is a lousy hockey player. I think you like to blow smoke up peoples cul and surround it w/ rhetoric and semantics just so you sound like you know what your talking about. For the record Landsberg, the career point totals for the 3 aforementioned Leaf players is 57. This includes 29 goals. Maybe, you don't watch alot of Hawks games because you're on the East coast or maybe you think that Brandon Bollig and Dan Carcillo are regular 2nd line players that have a high development ceiling. Now he's splitting hairs "out of their regulars" Bollig has 40 pims in 11 g, does that qualify as a "goon"?

All I know is that Orr has been around for four years now...Brown had been around for three or 4...guys like phaneuf and komisarek were supposed to provide toughness...blah blah blah.....unfortunately against some opponents an Orr or McLaren may be required to cart out and crack some skulls but not in important games and not regular shifts...they kinda suck. Not at fighting cause they are damn good at that but at playing hockey. They suck. If they did other things effectively that contributed positively in some manner then I would support them. But they really dont. No particularly good puck skills, not particularly good forecheckers, dont play a great cycle game, dont really provide energy shifts..and unless someone bounces a puck off them in front of the net, not really an offensive threat in any way.

jughead42*

I love this guy, and I love what his presence brings to the team in combination with Colton Orr. It reminds me of the Probert and Kocur days with Detroit, we've got two bona fide heavyweight bruisers who are hungry to do whatever it takes to win games. Maybe you don't always need them both in the lineup, but there are going to be games where you want to send a message and it's nice that we're going to be able to do that effectively.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I love this guy, and I love what his presence brings to the team in combination with Colton Orr. It reminds me of the Probert and Kocur days with Detroit, we've got two bona fide heavyweight bruisers who are hungry to do whatever it takes to win games. Maybe you don't always need them both in the lineup, but there are going to be games where you want to send a message and it's nice that we're going to be able to do that effectively.

This.

That beating we gave Montreal, where we not only thrashed them on the scoreboard, but we also beat them up with smiles on our faces... well that's how Boston treated us each and every game last year.

This year, the games are close, and Boston hasn't acted nearly as tough, as in years past.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like him a lot. Similar to Brown in that he's a tough 4th liner who's also legitimately decent at hockey, but he's bigger than Brown and a legit heavyweight fighter, which is what made Mike expendable.

When we're 100% healthy, I look forward to a lineup like this:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Mac - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - McLaren

That's a 4th line that hits up a storm, plays great d, and even has a legit heavyweight fighter. I'd feel comfortable giving that 4th line a shift in any situation.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Mclarens not a goon, Orrs the goon on the team, Mclaren is on the team for his tireless work ethic, his size and his tremendous ability to hold the puck in the other teams end behind the net... He holds the puck on the cycle better then ANYONE else on our team... He just doesnt have the skill...

guys a great forechecker, tremendous backchecker and great on the forecheck and he can bang with the best of them... If he keeps playing the way he is i think hes one of the best 4th liners in the league. Hes also pretty reliable out there besides that one play against ottawa where he gave the puck up.

JMcLeaf

frazer_mclaren.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
What constitutes a "regular"??

Michael Frolik has 3 pts in 22 games this year, Mayers has 2 in 12.

Comparatively...Orr has 3 in 22 and McLaren has 3 in 17.

Jamal Mayers averages 6:44 TOI/G, Colton Orr averages 6:55.

Dan Carcillo has 19 hits in 9 games, averaging ~2 per game, Colton Orr? 43 hits in 22 games...~2 per game.

Guess all teams have players who's primary role is to score, while they have others who's primary role is something else.

Crazy huh.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
That looks pretty damn good to me.

Yup. Really hoping that's the lineup when Lupul and Frattin return. Lets us roll out 4 lines pretty comfortably and that Mac Kadri Frattin trio could be deadly considering how well Kadri has clicked with both of them.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Well come on now lets talk in the real world friend.

I'm not holding my breath hoping to get skilled tough players of that ilk.

So in the mean time, we need those gooners to back up our skilled softies.

Trust me on this, having guys like that watching ones back who has a mild yellow streak running up it, does help with the teams overall essence.

It's kinda like tapping into the primal part of the brain, stronger, safer,bigger pack mentality.

Maybe someone should tell Kessel the bullies are on his team now.Not waiting in the cafeteria to steal his lunch money.

MapleLeafGardens*

The behaviour of some of the Leafs fans at the ACC when the Senators player was out cold and hurt after this fight was beyond classless. You just don't do that in that situation.

No wonder Leafs fans are the most hated & laughed at fanbase in the NHL.

Karma's a biatch remember that yo fools!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad