Frazer McLaren

Deezzy22

Jan 3, 2013
Has anyone else been impressed with Frazer McLaren i mean we got this guy off waivers, he's proved he can fight with the big boys, and he doesn't seem to be much of a liability on the ice(he's probably why Brown became expendable), all in all i'd say he's a diamond in the rough as far as fighters and fourth liners go.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think he can become one of the better 4th liners in the league. He is solid defensively, can skate well for a big man and is a great fighter. Orr and him make a very nice wing pair. Of course, when the other team get them down in our zone I perhaps dont feel comfortable but the thing with these two is that they seem to keep the puck in the offensive zone using their strength.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Obviously he is impressive as an enforcer/intimidator, but he can also play. I like his decision making, keeps it simple, tries to keep the game behind the opponents blueline and haven't seen him cough up the puck much. Solid 4th liner. I am starting to think when Lupul and Frattin come back, he will be the lone enforcer dressed for a game.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
He's the worst or maybe second worst hockey player on the Leafs. No I'm not impressed. It's amazing how a couple of useless scraps can endear you so much to a fan base that they will completely overlook everything else.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's the worst or maybe second worst hockey player on the Leafs. No I'm not impressed. It's amazing how a couple of useless scraps can endear you so much to a fan base that they will completely overlook everything else.

Which is funny considering the posts above yours talked about this.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
In a checking role he's done well. Certainly brings a spark to the team. Much better than Orr in about every aspect. There's some upside there for a useful fourth liner. If this team makes the playoffs I think Orr sits without question.

RhinoD

Feb 6, 2013
Franklin, NC
The only thing McLaren does well is knock guys out... There is no way that Orr sits and McLaren plays come playoff time. Personally I think they will both play with McClement at center on the fourth line. The chances of all of our forwards staying healthy the rest of the season in pretty slim.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
He skates well and seems to make the smart play. The fight with Scott was very impressive as he fought a straight up distance fight and beat him.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Well obviously he's one of the worst, he's a fourth liner. How can you compare him to players that are known to be better than him? You can say that pretty much any fourth liner on any team is one of the worst on their team. What a useless post.

But yeah, I like McLaren. What shocks me is teams that needed toughness didn't grab him.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I mean he may not be the most talented player but you have to look at what he does for his team mates. Gives them more space, they are not picked on and everyone feels tougher with him and Orr.

Hats off to him. He could play on any Leafs team in any era.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Right because every other NHL team ices 1st liners on every line right?

hockeyfanz*

Not a big fan of this type of player but for what he is.....cant complain. If you want a mindless goon who could beat the opposition into submission then I guess you love McLaren/Orr......Not a fan of watching someone knock another player out cold.... its about as entertaining as MMA to me which is just another barbaric sport. As long as fighting is prominent in the NHL, guys like Scott, McLaren, Orr, Parros will always have a place in the sport. The goons are getting bigger, stronger and scarier every year. Only a matter of time before someone either gets turned into a vegetable or dies on the ice..IMO..only a matter of time. When it happens, I suppose we will hear a whole lot of empty sympathy and stirring tributes by those who support and endorse this as an essential part of the game.

This is not an anti-fighting rant, as I don't have any issue at all with two "hockey players" fighting...rather than "two fighters" playing hockey.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Not a big fan of this type of player but for what he is.....cant complain. If you want a mindless goon who could beat the opposition into submission then I guess you love McLaren/Orr......Not a fan of watching someone knock another player out cold.... its about as entertaining as MMA to me which is just another barbaric sport. As long as fighting is prominent in the NHL, guys like Scott, McLaren, Orr, Parros will always have a place in the sport. The goons are getting bigger, stronger and scarier every year. Only a matter of time before someone either gets turned into a vegetable or dies on the ice..IMO..only a matter of time. When it happens, I suppose we will hear a whole lot of empty sympathy and stirring tributes by those who support and endorse this as an essential part of the game.

This is not an anti-fighting rant, as I don't have any issue at all with two "hockey players" fighting...rather than "two fighters" playing hockey.

Get over it. We can always go back to last year when our payers will regularly knocked around like rag dolls. Some of you guys wouldn't know which end of a cow is an ***.

hockeyfanz*

Get over it. We can always go back to last year when our payers will regularly knocked around like rag dolls. Some of you guys wouldn't know which end of a cow is an ***.

Get over what? I love tough hockey. I don't mind fighting at all. I just dont care for the goons in the game. Sorry big Dave. Next time I will ask you what I should think constitutes a good hockey player.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Get over what? I love tough hockey. I don't mind fighting at all. I just dont care for the goons in the game. Sorry big Dave. Next time I will ask you what I should think constitutes a good hockey player.

Goon or no goon it is part of hockey. The kid dropped his gloves first and he should have known better. Were the Sens upset a couple of years ago when they got to Orr the first time? Say whatever you want, you need tough guys on your team that can fight to open space. Reason why Seguin has space is because of Lucic, reason why Marchand has space is part in parcel to Chara. It's part of the game. We got knocked around last year because no one could stick up for our players, now, we have that element in our game and our players are benefiting from it. I make no apologies for it.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

This. There's something to be said for rolling with guys you know have your back versus dweebs that get pushed around

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Leafs play far better with Orr & McLaren in the line up, you see it in the play and would have to be blind not see it..

Then there is the factor that other teams agitators and goons have not been running Leafs players this year at all period...Perhaps some people might recall last year??

Orr & McLaren can also play the game...McLAREN has 2 goals in 17 games thats a pace for 10 goals + in a full 82 game schedule...That actually would make him one of the most effective 4th liners in the league

Last year he would have 8th on the team in scoring......ahead of a lot of players..

To me he is a huge find and needs to be signed for 2-3 years for certain

EDDIE20*

Then there is the factor that other teams agitators and goons have not been running Leafs players this year at all period...Perhaps some people might recall last year??

This. McLaren provides stability in the fact that if anyone pushes our guys around, they might have to answer the bell with him. He doesn't seem to make too many mistakes play-wise either. He's a solid acquisition.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
I love the guys here saying we should sit the two of them and go back to last year..

Its like no one watched any games last year at all..

Even small agitators and chippy players took runs at Kessel and Reimer at will

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Not sure why people think enforcers are mindless. The effective ones are out there playing mind games. They affect the other teams psyche (sp?) more than anything else. I hate Chris Neal but he is no idiot.

I think Maclaren could be a Chis Neil type

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Not sure why people think enforcers are mindless. The effective ones are out there playing mind games. They affect the other teams psyche (sp?) more than anything else. I hate Chris Neal but he is no idiot.

I think Maclaren could be a Chis Neil type

Little bit much for him IMO. Very, very few players I hate more than Neil, but not only is he pretty smart with how he works, he can play the game better than a 4th liner too.

McLaren has been awesome, no complaints for a waiver wire pickup.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Great free addition. Actually we kind of got a 4th because his solid play made Brown expandable. He's responsible defensively , not a bad skater, hits, plays a simple game and can certainly handle himself against the big boys of the NHL. I think we'll see him taking the lone fighter spot from Orr when Frattin and Lupul are back. Awesome pick up by Nonis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad