Goalies: Franklin/ITech - Good Enough for Ice?

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
Hey all,

My ice hockey team has a terrible goalie situation. One of our goalies is moving away, one jacked up his knee and is out for a few months at least, and the thrid option is a crazy man who is just god awful. I've played some roller goalie and done fairly well, at least to the point that I think I can step in and immediately be better than the god awful guy.

This is C8 beer league, which around here is a pretty low-level, recreational league. The three main groups are: 1. (majority) un-coached people that picked up the game as adults 2. guys that actually have a lot of experience but are old now 3. your assortment of ringers who have played A-AAA midget and crap like that. So, occasionally, you'll get some zingers, but most shots aren't exactly Al McInnis boomers.

Now, for ice, I know that I need totally new stuff below the waist, so I'm looking at Goalie Monkey's clearances and hoping to get some Warrior Swagger legs, Tackla 6600 Pants, and some Reebok 14K skates.

Up top though, I'm wondering if the stuff I've been using is good enough for the ice. On the hands, I've got a Franklin 5300 glove and a 9400 blocker. I'm fairly happy with both, though the glove is pretty stiff. My chest protector is an ITech Prodigy 4.8 and I have an ITech Profile 1000 mask.

Anybody have experience with using any of these pads? I would be thankful for any info that people have about potentially using these upper pads and mask on the ice.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I personally think you'll be alright. IIRC, the Franklins that you have were actually pretty decent. Chest protector and mask are ok, even though a lot of people might say otherwise. I see lots of guys wearing the Itech masks. I've also seen a lot of guys in the lower adult leagues rolling with worse gear. Though if you have the money, I'd upgrade, especially since it seem like ringers aren't being patrolled all that well.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I had an ITECH profile 1100SR and it was a concussion waiting to happen.

May be different because I play more pickup and sticktime where anyone may be there... but yeah that mask was NOT enough.

try flexing the mask from the sides (push in on the mask's ear area on both sides), a decent mask wont really flex much with out really trying.

Don't know about the rest of the stuff... But frozen ice hockey pucks are hard as hell and sting real good. Go cheap and you will likely regret it.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
If there is one piece of equipment you don't want to cheap out on it's a mask. You can get a Fusion, Hackva or Wall for around $500. All are high quality masks.

As for skates, the best deal at Monkey are the Graf 750 Goaler Pro for $199.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I would do a lot of used stuff if you can. New stuff is just expensive, no way around it other then to think about that discount ice time :P

My first skates were like $50 at play it again sports and were perfectly functional tbh. I upgraded because I wanted nicer and the used skate needed some work (loose blade skated fine, but annoyed me to no ends while waiting for play to come back to my end...)

Can be kinda hard to find used gear and to know how good you need... But widen your search and be willing to drive a little and you should be able to come up pretty good.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Absolutely not on the helmet. It isn't even a matter of taking a hard shot off the helmet that is dangerous, it's if you are ever run over, which will absolutely happen in a C league. That's where the biggest danger is with that helmet. I wore that same helmet until I was 12. As a grown man, I'd be terrified of wearing that helmet in a game.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Hey all,

My ice hockey team has a terrible goalie situation. One of our goalies is moving away, one jacked up his knee and is out for a few months at least, and the thrid option is a crazy man who is just god awful. I've played some roller goalie and done fairly well, at least to the point that I think I can step in and immediately be better than the god awful guy.

This is C8 beer league, which around here is a pretty low-level, recreational league. The three main groups are: 1. (majority) un-coached people that picked up the game as adults 2. guys that actually have a lot of experience but are old now 3. your assortment of ringers who have played A-AAA midget and crap like that. So, occasionally, you'll get some zingers, but most shots aren't exactly Al McInnis boomers.

Now, for ice, I know that I need totally new stuff below the waist, so I'm looking at Goalie Monkey's clearances and hoping to get some Warrior Swagger legs, Tackla 6600 Pants, and some Reebok 14K skates.

Up top though, I'm wondering if the stuff I've been using is good enough for the ice. On the hands, I've got a Franklin 5300 glove and a 9400 blocker. I'm fairly happy with both, though the glove is pretty stiff. My chest protector is an ITech Prodigy 4.8 and I have an ITech Profile 1000 mask.

Anybody have experience with using any of these pads? I would be thankful for any info that people have about potentially using these upper pads and mask on the ice.

bolded = good
italics = no good.

as a goalie 4 pieces of gear you should never cheap out on are the glove, the c/a, the mask, and the jock...

madguitarist

Jul 15, 2013
Moose Jaw, SK
I'd upgrade the mask sooner than later, but my experience with Franklin stuff, is limited, so I can't say whether it's good enough to use. I've only ever seen their street/roller hockey stuff, and I wouldn't use that for ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad