Value of: Frank Vatrano

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Rangers are so stupid for letting this dude walk. $3.65M is a very easy number to fit under the cap. Instead we signed a bunch of 4th line garbage that we wound up waiving anyway.

Everyone will cry "bUt ThEy CoUlDnT aFfOrD hIm"

this is Chris Drury we're talking about. The dude that did cap gymnastics never before seen to get Kane and Tarasenko.

it could've easily been worked out

• Love
Reactions: MMC and bernmeister

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Unless you also have pictures of PV doing obscene things with farm animals, I can't see him doing anything but laughing and hanging up... That's just bad, especially when compared to the other offer upthread for Bourgault, unprotected 1st, 'and' Foegele.

'If' they're going to trade him, I'd rather that they do it next year. Yeah it's a roll of the dice that he won't produce near as much...but the Ducks need his production for at least the next year/next TDL. Also by then they should have a much better idea what he wants/what he's worth for his next contract. And, if he does fit into their long term plans, he may be willing to take a little less AAV for a bit longer term to be able to get the others paid too (with the unspoken understanding that if he falls off a cliff in a few years he'd be bought out/sent to Robidias Island).
I think bourgaults + 2nd is a reasonable starting point…. If they added a cap dump and asked retention and stuff the final price would be different.

I don’t think I’d do 2nd+ bourgaults personally but I don’t think it’s laughably bad. To trade him away this year tho I’d have to be really blown away by an offer as I think he is a good filler piece for this year and next

Oct 18, 2011
Unless you also have pictures of PV doing obscene things with farm animals, I can't see him doing anything but laughing and hanging up... That's just bad, especially when compared to the other offer upthread for Bourgault, unprotected 1st, 'and' Foegele.

'If' they're going to trade him, I'd rather that they do it next year. Yeah it's a roll of the dice that he won't produce near as much...but the Ducks need his production for at least the next year/next TDL. Also by then they should have a much better idea what he wants/what he's worth for his next contract. And, if he does fit into their long term plans, he may be willing to take a little less AAV for a bit longer term to be able to get the others paid too (with the unspoken understanding that if he falls off a cliff in a few years he'd be bought out/sent to Robidias Island).
Anaheim waited a year longer to trade Rakell and got a fraction of the value. I've seen this movie before

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I think bourgaults + 2nd is a reasonable starting point…. If they added a cap dump and asked retention and stuff the final price would be different.

I don’t think I’d do 2nd+ bourgaults personally but I don’t think it’s laughably bad
I don't know a lot about Bourgault, but looking him up this morning he seemed to be less productive at the AHL level than Frank is at the NHL. He's 6'0", 170-180#, so not a PV type of giant. And seems to average 20ish PMs per season, so not very gritty/annoying to play against. Even as a starting point, a probably later 2nd doesn't seem to overcome his ... blandness? If the Ducks are looking for a generic third line winger, there's usually a couple of UFAs every year that would fit that without giving up anything.

Vatrano should be able to have a much better return than that ... or they should just keep him.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
I don't know a lot about Bourgault, but looking him up this morning he seemed to be less productive at the AHL level than Frank is at the NHL. He's 6'0", 170-180#, so not a PV type of giant. And seems to average 20ish PMs per season, so not very gritty/annoying to play against. Even as a starting point, a probably later 2nd doesn't seem to overcome his ... blandness? If the Ducks are looking for a generic third line winger, there's usually a couple of UFAs every year that would fit that without giving up anything.

Vatrano should be able to have a much better return than that ... or they should just keep him.
yep, Bourgault might've been a 1st rd pick but he isn't upholding that value currently. fine as a B grade prospect on top of a 1st. I dont know why the oilers haven't been handing out these 1sts in trades during the mcdrai era all along lol

Reactions: Rec T

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Not really high on Bourgault but that's how the Oilers farm works. They load up with veterans in the top 6 and young offensive prospects are put in roles to learn the other fundamentals of the game.

Reactions: Rec T

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Wouldn't move him for anything less than two first-round picks.

That said, I'd rather keep him. At some point we have to try to get better.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Hollel

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
My opinion

They should trade him.

Career year
Great contract
Can fit anywhere in the lineup
Playoff teams get 2 runs with him cheap

Problem is his next contract, he's gonna want alot and Anaheim has to pay McTavish, Carlsson, and Mintyukov over the next few seasons and they could maximize return for him now

Could probably also probably retain on him, in order to squeeze out the best return possible. Getting him for this year and next at 2M or less, would no doubt appeal to many contenders.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
My opinion

They should trade him.

Career year
Great contract
Can fit anywhere in the lineup
Playoff teams get 2 runs with him cheap

Problem is his next contract, he's gonna want alot and Anaheim has to pay McTavish, Carlsson, and Mintyukov over the next few seasons and they could maximize return for him now
Yep, sell on Vatrano. Gotta move a guy having a year like this if someone is offering something crazy. Shooting at what, 16%?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yep, sell on Vatrano. Gotta move a guy having a year like this if someone is offering something crazy. Shooting at what, 16%?

I think he’s strongly benefitting of being used on pp more…. He has 10 power play goals.

He’s always had a really good shot, I think getting more pp is putting him in better situations to score more goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad