Frank Gallagher's Midseason Draft Rankings

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Love the Hillis love. He will probably go early second round
I think its a lot like Robert Thomas last year where anyone who had seen him liked him, just waiting for the industry to move him in to the first. Outproducing Hayton while on a much worse team too

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Thanks for sharing, Noah Dobson though? This is the 1st I've heard of him, any reason to have him at 4?
Gives me a real Pietrangelo vibe. 6'3, calm with the puck, ridiculously smart, and tested as one of the best skaters at the top prospects game. Started the year ranked 2nd round but all the way up to 8th on McKenzie's midseason ranking

blindpass

May 7, 2010
How much did you drop Ty Smith based on the prospects game, or did you always have him that low?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Have seen him at u17s, u18s, Hlinka, and World Junior camp which is enough to have a good feel on him. Extrapolating based off stats and what others have said that he's playing well in Sweden which is believable because I know he has the talent to.

Well, I watch a lot of Timrå games. I think you have the right idea with him as a skilled player. I just think you're too willing to pay the wrong price. If this is just a bet where you overrate high variance guys so if one of them hits you look like a genius, then fine (I get the suspicion that this is what you're doing with Bokk as well).

He has a good package of skills. Nothing about him is amazing, though. He has a quick release. It's not amazing. He's not Tolvanen. And in terms of his overall play I find him to be speculative. I don't want to pay a 10th overall for that. This is a bit similar with Hållander. Even if people almost universally have Olofsson ahead of Hållander, it's usually pretty close. You have them 27 spots apart. I can't see a good explanation for that. I actually have Filip slightly ahead of Jacob because I like the way he plays. I think it transfers really well to the NHL. He's super aggressive whereas Jacob is a lot more passive. Again, I don't really want to pay a 10th overall for someone who's fairly passive and doesn't have an elite skillset.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

blindpass

May 7, 2010
.... If this is just a bet where you overrate high variance guys so if one of them hits you look like a genius, then fine (I get the suspicion that this is what you're doing with Bokk as well).
This is exactly how the list makes me feel.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
How much did you drop Ty Smith based on the prospects game, or did you always have him that low?
Not based off prospects game, his performance there was out of character for him. Just don't see him having the creativity in his game to be a real impact player. Prefer a guy like Addison

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Well, I watch a lot of Timrå games. I think you have the right idea with him as a skilled player. I just think you're too willing to pay the wrong price. If this is just a bet where you overrate high variance guys so if one of them hits you look like a genius, then fine (I get the suspicion that this is what you're doing with Bokk as well).

He has a good package of skills. Nothing about him is amazing, though. He has a quick release. It's not amazing. He's not Tolvanen. And in terms of his overall play I find him to be speculative. I don't want to pay a 10th overall for that. This is a bit similar with Hållander. Even if people almost universally have Olofsson ahead of Hållander, it's usually pretty close. You have them 27 spots apart. I can't see a good explanation for that. I actually have Filip slightly ahead of Jacob because I like the way he plays. I think it transfers really well to the NHL. He's super aggressive whereas Jacob is a lot more passive. Again, I don't really want to pay a 10th overall for someone who's fairly passive and doesn't have an elite skillset.
My evaluation of him as I said is mainly based off international play. I think a couple big things differentiate Olofsson from Hallander, him being larger and a centre being two of these. I cannot picture Hallander being much more than a 3rd line winger. Again this is based of my viewings which are more limited than yours, so I do respect your opinion. With Olofsson I think he is comparable to a guy like Zibanajad in his draft year who ended up in the top 10.

I think its natural to hedge on some guys based off gut feeling and tools you see in them. Thats a big part of scouting as it is essentially projection of what you think a player can become, not what they currently are. For Bokk I see really elite tools in flashes where he looks like he could be a star someday. And I think like Boqvist he belongs there based off projection

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I think its a lot like Robert Thomas last year where anyone who had seen him liked him, just waiting for the industry to move him in to the first. Outproducing Hayton while on a much worse team too
Hillis get 1c time. Hayton is buried on a strong team.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Hillis get 1c time. Hayton is buried on a strong team.
Hayton is definitely not buried, has seen all his time this year on the top 2 lines even spending some time with Morgan Frost. The level of talent he's surrounded with also makes putting up points easier.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Hayton is definitely not buried, has seen all his time this year on the top 2 lines even spending some time with Morgan Frost. The level of talent he's surrounded with also makes putting up points easier.
Hayton has played with Kopaka and Roth/Howdeshell (both rookies) all year except during the World Juniors, when he played wing with Frost. Who are Hillis's line mates?

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
And lots of pp points.
I like Hayton, but it really helps playing with that amount of Skill and confidence around you.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Hayton has played with Kopaka and Roth/Howdeshell (both rookies) all year except during the World Juniors, when he played wing with Frost. Who are Hillis's line mates?
Hillis is with Ratcliffe and Toropchenko, so their linemates score at a pretty similar rate. I think how strong the players around Hayton are and the fact Soo has 62 more goals makes the ice time effect less important than usual.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Hillis is with Ratcliffe and Toropchenko, so their linemates score at a pretty similar rate. I think how strong the players around Hayton are and the fact Soo has 62 more goals makes the ice time effect less important than usual.
True that about the line mates. But I disagree about the ice time - if you are not on the ice, you can't put up points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad